Job Title: Senior Business Development Associate – Public Sector
Career Stream: Professional
Career Level: Professional Level 2
Department: Global Development
Job Family: Business Development & Fundraising
Job Sub-Family: Public Sector
Location: United Kingdom
Workplace Designation: London, United Kingdom (Fully Remote or Partial Remote)
Term: Full time / Permanent
Funding: 100% Indirect
Line Manager: Director of Global Development, Internews Europe
Salary: £29,800 – £37,300
The Senior Business Development Associate, Public Sector for Internews Europe provides technical and administrative support for business development activities with public sector donors at Internews. This position will perform tasks requiring prior experience, education, and/or training. The Senior Business Development Associate works within the Global Development team to increase funding in support of Internews’ mission by researching and engaging in fundraising activities with prospective and current public sector donors for increasing restricted project funds at Internews. Working under the leadership of the Director for Global Development for Internews Europe, as well as the Vice President for Global Development, they will contribute to a strategic approach to business development at Internews to ensure the organization raises over $22 million annually from public sector donors in Europe, including from the European Commission, SIDA, the Dutch, Norway, and FCDO, among others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, with other duties upon request:
- Takes the lead in generating context/text for requests for information for European donor solicitations, working with program and technical staff members and the Director of Global Development for IEU and others in the Global Development team to finalize.
- Assists with proposals and concept notes to public sector donors, including conducting basic desk research, document formatting, and development of situation analysis, capacity statements, past performance references, and formatting of CVs/resumes/short bio-graphics.
- Develops timelines for concept note and proposal submissions and reviews donor guidelines to ensure full compliance with all donor requirements.
- Develops outlines/writing guides for technical and program staff and other Global Development team members as required.
- Coordinates kick-off and/or design meetings for proposals as required.
- Working closely with program and technical staff members and their supervisor, writes, reviews, and edits smaller concept notes, proposals, and pitches for submission to public sector donors in line with Internews’ annual Global Development strategy. This may involve work on portions of the proposal, including situation analyses, gender plans, annexes, risk mitigation plans, past performance references (PPRs), resumes, etc.
- Conducts web checks as needed for Internews Europe donors and monitors Internews Europe portals.
- Submits proposal for Internews Europe through the webportals upon request.
- Updates Salesforce entries for Internews Europe’s opportunities.
Meeting and Scheduling:
- Participates in positioning meetings (quarterly) for each program management unit, and in twice weekly Global Development coordination meetings, taking notes and minutes as required.
- Maintains a calendar of due dates for proposals and other donor submissions and will send out reminders to program staff as required.
- Schedules, leads and facilitates Go/No-Go/How to Go meetings for Internews Europe opportunities located in high-risk countries and/or where there is a financial risk to Internews Europe.
- Working with the Director of Global Development for Internews Europe, prepares presentation materials – including PowerPoint presentations and briefing papers for donor or partner pitches, or internal audiences, as required.
- Collaborates closely with Communications department to develop website content to maximize Internews’ relationship with key donors, as well as Internews’ overall brand image on-line.
- Contributes to annual strategic planning for Global Development at Internews.
- Contributes to quarterly updates on Global Development activities.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
- At least three years of prior work experience, preferably in the non-profit, communications or international development field. This may be accomplished through internships, consultancies, and/or full-time work. Note that up to two years of experience may be substituted for a graduate degree.
- Passion for the role of media and increased access to information changing lives.
- Relevant undergraduate University degree or equivalent professional experience required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and practiced presentation skills.
- Strong writing skills with demonstrated ability to translate complicated technical material into easy to read and compelling text. Ability to both edit others’ writing and to accept feedback on written text with grace.
- Demonstrated prior experience with successful proposal writing with a diverse range of donors.
- Proven organization skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize within the context of a flexible and shifting workload.
- Ability to handle sensitive donor information the utmost discretion.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to maintain a sense of calm and professionalism in the face of strict deadlines.
- Must be able and willing to work well with a diverse range of colleagues to achieve ambitious fundraising targets with a proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed both to domestic and/or international destinations, possibly to difficult international environments. (Travel is not expected to exceed 5 -10% LOE for this position.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Teams, Outlook, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word and internet research.
Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications but are interested and willing to learn are still encouraged to apply.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Prior experience living and working overseas.
- Prior experience working in the media development field.
- Prior experience with Salesforce.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing programs a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic or Russian a plus.
Deadline for applications: 29 September 2023.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Expected office hours are generally Monday through Friday from 09:00am to 5:30pm.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of their position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position will be located in the United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must both be present in the UK for the duration of the assignment and obtain the Right to Work in the UK in order to commence their employment.