Position Title: Risk Officer
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 05 July 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
IOM is undertaking a Business Transformation (BT) process, a priority driven by IOM’s Internal Governance Framework (IGF) reform. IOM will undertake a global review of its current risk management requirements and ERP based process flows to update its systems and establish a fit-for-future Risk Management globally.
Under the direct supervision of the Business and Integration Manager (BT), the functional guidance of the Risk Management Business Process Owner (BPO) and the overall supervision of the BT Director, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and managing the implementation of BT initiatives, including assessing and redesigning the risk management modules while duly considering interlinkages with other functions of IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead the realization of the new ERP-based solutions within the “Manage Risk” (MR) process area for all risk management functions with a focus on the full set of risk-related modules and cross-functional integrations within the GRC-related modules of the Oracle Cloud ERP platform as well as (potentially) other technologies.
- Act as MR Focal Point for the BT Team with regards to reviewing IOM’s ERP-based MR processes and procedures. (identifying, registering, risk treatment, monitoring of residual risk, reporting)
- Collaborate and work closely with risk management functional business process owners and experts in Headquarters (HQ), Manila and Panama Administrative Centres, to ensure that relevant processes are designed in accordance with the organization’s regulations, instructions, policies, procedures and practices and taking into consideration the relevant operational control systems from the IGF.
- Collaborate with relevant Departments and Units in the context of overall BT to harmonise cross-cutting processes and to ensure end-to-end process and data integration.
- Based on the in-depth knowledge you will acquire as part of the project, evaluate opportunities and capabilities offered by the new technology and/or the ERP platform and identify opportunities for improvement compared to existing risk management practices, while maintaining compliance with the legal and administrative framework.
- Working within the framework of the BT project and its system implementation partner(s),lead the realization of the end-to-end risk management solution from solution strategy through user acceptance, deployment, cutover, and stabilization.
- Manage the team of risk management business analysts and work with the BT Training team to develop risk management-related training materials by providing inputs, documenting requirements, and supporting the design and delivery of training programs.
- Manage the team of risk management business analysts and work with the BT Data Migration Team to develop data migration and archiving requirements and ensure all risk data are prepared for migration or archiving.
- Manage the team of risk management business analysts and work with the BT Testing team to develop the test scenarios and scripts required for User Acceptance (UAT) and other testing needs.
- Manage change to promote acceptance and ‘buy-in’ at all stages and ensure smooth implementation of necessary changes to internal business practices, procedures, processes, and systems.
- Provide direct oversight and support to external expert, consultants, vendors, and suppliers engaged by the BT in the context of delivering the risk management solutions and supporting elements.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience;and,
- University degree and professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) and certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), or equivalent Risk Management certification from the Institute of Risk Management (IRM).
- At least 2 years of experience in implementing the Oracle Cloud ERP Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) modules (the Risk Management Cloud);
- Experience in change management and project risk management;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Experience with international institutions.
- Certified Financials – Risk Management Implementer a strong plus;
- Advanced facilitation skills, particularly of risk assessment and root cause analysis;
- Complete and practical understanding of ISO 31000 and COSO framework;
- Knowledge and understanding of IOM/UN rules, regulations, and Instructions on resource management;
- Knowledge of SAP ECC 6, IOM’s current ERP system, is an advantage but not mandatory;
- Strong communication skills, ability to present information in a comprehensive, clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct analyses, excellent writing skills, accompanied with ability to edit a range of different materials, including but not limited to risk management policies, related instructions, guidelines and reports for different audiences.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 05 July 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 22.06.2022 to 05.07.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 194 Risk Officer (P3) Geneva, Switzerland (57641942) Released