Position Title: Research Coordinator
Duty Station: Erbil, Iraq
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 11 August 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM), and the direct supervision of the Head, Transition and Recovery Division, the successful candidate will support IOM Iraq Country Office ( CO) with research specific related activities through ensuring efficient implementation of research and data analysis.
The Research Coordinator will be responsible for conducting various types of migration related research in line with the IOM’s Iraq Country Strategy 2022-2024 and Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Regional Strategy 2020-2024, throughout the different phases of the research cycle: research conceptualization, questionnaire design, data collection, data analysis, and report writing; as well as will maintain the network of external consultants, researchers, and will provide technical input and coordination support on the day-to-day research related to work activities and assessments.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead the IOM Iraq CO’s Research team on the implementation of CO’s ongoing assessments and surveys on displacement, reintegration and sustainable returns (recovery) of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and returnees across Iraq in line with the Migration Data Strategy 2021-2025 and the Internal Displacement Data Strategy, 2021-2025.
- Coordinate closely with Senior Programme Coordinator, Heads of Offices, Heads ofSub-Offices, and Project Managers to ensure that the research projects are well integrated and supported by the various programme units and offices in different locations in Iraq.
- Provide technical support to research projects implemented by other programme units.
- Determine the goals of new research projects, as well as research methods and outputs.
- Contribute to drafting the IOM’s Iraq country research strategy and more specifically transition, recovery and stabilization related research lines, in coordination with the relevant units responsible for Iraq country strategy, MENA Regional Strategy Migration Data Strategy, Internal Displacement Data Strategy and overall Strategy Vision.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of Research team members (field teams and core analysis) to ensure consistency with the projects’ schedules.
- Design the research plan, concept note, quantitative and qualitative data collection tools and research training materials of ad-hoc CO -level research.
- Oversee the data analysis and report writing of the implemented programme related research in line with CO strategy priorities.
- Coordinate and contribute to the revision of draft reports and analysis before publication.
- Extend the IOM network of research partners including universities, research centres and think tanks at national and international levels ,and explore for joined opportunities for research publications, in coordination with the MENA Regional Office and the Regional Data Hub.
- Supervise the recruitment of external research consultants and follow-up on the several phases of outsourced research projects.
- Liaise with relevant authorities, UN agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), think tanks, government authorities, academic institutions and other stakeholders for the implementation of ad hoc surveys, and represent IOM at relevant meetings, as well as at the Iraq UN Network on Migration.
- Support the development of policies and evidence based knowledge products in line with IOM’s country strategy and mandate.
- Represent the research activities of IOM Iraq CO through participation in relevant international events, conferences and working groups related to data analysis and research notably on population displacements, recovery and stabilization.
- Support the CO in deployment of Research team’s missions to the field offices.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Sciences, Demography, Population Studies, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working in international organizations and the humanitarian community;
- Experience in the development and implementation of research projects
- Experience in project management and implementation;
- Work experience in the Middle East and Northern Africa region is advantageous; and,
- Proven experience in conceptualizing research projects, quantitative and qualitative tool design, and report writing in the field of population studies, refugees/IDPs in developing countries, on the Framework for Durable Solutions for IDPs and returnees applied to different displacement contexts;
- Field experience in survey coordination, i.e. training and managing large data collection teams and conducting large scale household surveys; and,
- Proven ability to supervise, train and direct staff and operations in transitional contexts;
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 August 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 29.07.2022 to 11.08.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 217 Research Coordinator (P3) Erbil, Iraq (57694935) Released
Posting: Posting NC57694936 (57694936) Released