The Opportunity – Research and Learning Specialist
Post location: oPt CO – Ramallah
Contract Duration and Level of Effort: 2 years
The Research Specialist will lead in designing, managing, analysing, and reporting project research and evaluations, as well as other relevant research and learning activities. At the project level and Country Office level, s/he will take a leading role to promote evidence-based decision making and learning to improve the interventions. At the organizational level, he/she will support the MEAL Manager to maximize existing/new fora at national and global levels to share and learn from program evidence, including project, thematic meetings, forums, etc.
She/he will be responsible for the design, implementation and management of research for the assigned projects. He/she will lead the development of the Terms of References for Research, impact studies, baseline and evaluation studies as well as to follow up on the roll-out of SCI Evidence and Learning Agenda. She/he will train and supervise the data collectors, project officers and work in close collaboration with field based staff from partners and other relevant stakeholders to ensure quality assurance in data collection. The post holder will be responsible for analyzing the data collected and draft the final report, as well, lead in the dissemination of these research findings, adapting the content to the different audiences (project staff, Government or SCI).
S/he will help to build the capacity of project staff and partners in MEAL, database design, data collection, data entry and analysis, evidenced and learning. S/he will oversee MEAL reporting for the assigned projects, including M&E report against indicators, Baseline and Evaluation reports, and other lessons learned and best practices documents. S/he will collaborate with the MEAL Manager to ensure effective MEAL KPI compliances and reporting system, particularly ensuring the research pipeline and repository are up to date.
The position requires a high level of professionalism, judgement and a capacity to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholder in a very sensitive context.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the post holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: MEAL Manager.
Staff reporting to this post: None.
Budget Responsibilities: None.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Key Area 1- Research, Evaluation, and Learning (60%):
- Engage stakeholders in the process of study design including the finalization of the study questions, and specific objectives, including literature review.
- Develop detail study plan/proposal/protocol using appropriate design, methods, sampling, and analytical techniques; and submit to national ethical review committee/IRB where necessary.
- Design, review, and format data collection tools, including translation.
- Ensure all questions are clear and aligned with the learning agenda.
- Conduct data collection training to field researchers and ensure that all field researchers completely understand the structure, content, and purpose of all the questions in data collection tools and related instruments.
- Conduct pilot testing of the data collection tools and sampling procedures, including debriefing sessions with field researchers after pretesting data collection tools in the field and making revisions as needed.
- Manage and carry out fieldwork for data collection based on sampling procedure (sample size, sample design, and sampling frame) developed.
- Design and implement processes to check and validate data collection tools and data.
- Prepare field research reports and carry out debriefing session with field researchers and team.
- Carry out report writing, including data analysis using appropriate analysis techniques.
- Develop Evidence to Action Brief.
Key Area 2: Evidence Uptake and Learning
- Conduct debriefing sessions with project team and partners based on the research findings.
- Document and share research findings and key lessons learned from baseline, survey, assessment, research, and evaluation internally and externally in coordination with the Communications team.
- Lead project teams and partners to gather and document project lessons learned, best practices, and case studies for project improvement and advocacy purposes.
- Support the development and implementation of the CO Evidence and Learning Agenda.
- Encourage a culture of knowledge sharing, critical thinking and learning among project teams and implementing partners.
Key Area 3: Country office reporting:
In close coordination with the MEAL Manager and MEAL staff in field offices; support the reporting of the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), CSP Milestones reporting, Country Annual Report and the Total Reach.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
• Master’s degree in education, social work, psychology, sociology, demography, operations research, statistics, econometrics, economy, development studies, or related field of social science, with solid skills in research and M&E.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant working experience in monitoring and evaluation design and implementation in both humanitarian and development contexts.
- Minimum 2-4 years of experience in working with research studies, baselines, evaluations, assessments, etc.
- Comprehensive knowledge and skills in quantitative and qualitative research methodologies especially survey.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in statistical and econometric analysis for impact evaluation using statistical applications including SPSS, STATA, and/or relevant applications.
- Excellent statistical report writing skill in English and Arabic
- Abilities to communicate findings from advanced statistical/econometric analysis to general audiences.
- Good knowledge of and skills in M & E methods and practices.
- Knowledge to develop mobile data collection platforms.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including MS Excel.
- Strong analysis skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills will be considered a definite advantage.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and solve problems independently.
- Excellent oral and communications skills both in English and Arabic.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions.
Save the Children promotes a diverse and inclusive work environment, women and people with different abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Save the Children works in development and humanitarian contexts with children and partners to help families, communities, and governments identify and use innovations to ensure all children survive, learn and are protected.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
How to apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at Search Jobs – SCI Career Site Careers (oraclecloud.com)
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.