Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
Reason: Temporary > Temporary Assignment/ Appointment
Hardship Level: E (most hardship)
Family Type: Family
Residential location (if applicable)
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2023-07-01
Target End Date: 2023-12-31
Job Posting End Date: June 21, 2023
Standard Job Description: External Relations Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The External Relations Associate is normally supervised by the External Relations Officer or another professional staff depending on the staffing structure of the Office. The incumbent receives regular guidance and advice from the supervisor. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staff and support units at the Country Office/HQ.
External contacts are generally with a broad range of officials from national and international institutions, media or general public involving the exchange of a wide range of information.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide background briefings to local and international media.
- Keep track of evolving issues concerning persons of concern to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media to cover.
- Provide daily briefings on local developments to the Head of Office and ensure that briefing materials from other offices are available.
- Accompany visits of foreign delegations and the media to refugee sites in the region, giving appropriate briefings, commentaries and prepare briefing material for visitors.
- Establish contacts with local organisations to promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues
- Ensure that the office is kept informed of local developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office’s activities.
- May be required to compile information and SitReps received from the Field Offices and/or sections within the Office and consolidate into weekly/monthly/quarterly report.
- Advise the Head of Office of local aspects of external relations policies.
- Liaise with external partners and local organizations on behalf of UNHCR.
- Produce reports and briefings for internal and external partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Political Sciences Social Sciences International Relations
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
IT-Web Content Management
CO-Drafting and Documentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
1. The candidate is mature and posed. In addition, he/ she brings to the job strong interpersonal skills and builds effective relationships with colleagues and partners.
- a. Positive – The candidate has a positive work attitude and is optimistic by nature.
- b. Ambition and reliability – The candidate is ambitious and leads by example.
- c. Trustworthy – The candidate is a team player who is trusted by his/her colleagues.
- d. Professionalism – the candidate is a committed and hard- working professional who respects his/her colleagues and upholds the values of the organization.
2. Problem Solving
- a. Problem Solver – The candidate masters the ability to identify and solve problems by applying creativity and interpersonal skills. He/she transforms challenges into opportunities to find solutions and resolve problems.
- b. Proactive – actively looks for opportunities and team growth in the interest of the operation.
3. Time Management
- a. The candidate successfully manages quality time dedicated to activities with the purpose to strengthen the effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity of the operation.
4. Excellent command of English, both orally and drafting.
5. Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level)
Accountable, Analytical Thinking, CO-Drafting and Documentation, Computer Literacy, Core Values, English Language, Find Solutions, Interpersonal Communication, IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Web Content Management, Management Reporting, Operations Support, Proactive Approach, Problem Resolution, Problem Solving, Professional Etiquette, Strategic Thinking, Teamwork, TI-Interpretation, Work Attitudes
Bachelor of Arts (BA): Journalism (Required)
Communication – Other, International Relations – Other, Journalism – Other, Political Science – Other, Social Sciences – Other