Position Title: Project Officer (Immigration Border Management (IBM))
Duty Station: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 14 July 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the IOM Bahrain Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Senior Liaison and Coordination Officer (Project Manager) in Riyadh, and in close coordination with Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Thematic Specialist in RO Cairo, and the IOM Bahrain IBM Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing expert technical guidance for the “Arab Centre for Technical Cooperation on Migration and Border Management” Project-related matters. In coordination with the Senior Liaison and Coordination Officer, the Project Officer (IBM) will be responsible for the management, implementation and monitoring & evaluation of the Capacity Building initiatives, Data and Research and Steering Committee-re tasks.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Set up the capacity building plans and curricula of the Arab Centre for Technical Cooperation on Migration and Border Management at the Naif Arab University of Security Sciences (NAUSS) in Riyadh in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in close coordination with the IOM Project Manager and NAUSS Project Team.
- Lead the implementation of the technical activities of the Centre, by providing IBM expertise, acting as the go-to resource person on the core thematic topics, to strengthen technical cooperation in migration management and enhance regional capacity and cooperation on immigration, border management, migrant protection and human rights of migrants in the Arab region.
- Provide financial, administrative and technical backstopping and coordinate with the Regional Office and IOM Bahrain IBM Unit as needed.
- Support the Senior Liaison and Coordination Officer (Project Manager) in the preparation and submission of project implementation, progress, results and budgetary expenditure to the Steering Committee, in line with donor reporting requirements, as well as narrative reports, programme summaries, press releases and other materials and correspondence relevant to ongoing activities.
- Coordinate the country assessments and mapping exercises; development of SoPs; adjustment, translation or development of technical toolkits or handbooks; provision of legal and/or policy advice; baseline assessments with recommendations; and any of the modalities of proactive support actions.
- Design and deliver training and presentations in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the provision of technical expertise on the IBM thematic area.
- Prepare agendas, concept notes and invitation letters for technical and high-level workshops, trainings, conferences, study tours, and international dialogue events, gathering Member States from the Arab region and beyond, and oversee the organization and logistic arrangements for such events to take place.
- Lead the design, development and delivery of a 6-month seminar on Legal Identity from IOM’s side, in close coordination with the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Thematic Specialists in RO Cairo, geared towards equipping NAUSS students with knowledge of systems and processes to operationalize legal identity of individuals.
- Contribute to raising awareness on and promoting Migration Governance Indicators (MGI): assessment, advisory support etc.
- Support Member States’ participation in the MGI process to help countries in the assessment of the comprehensiveness of their migration policies, as well as to identify gaps and areas that could be strengthened.
- Support research on any and all human mobility related trends as requested by Member States.
- Undertake duty travels as required.
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations and/or Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions andNon-Governmental Organizations (NGOs);
- Experience in IOM administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures.
- Demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to IBM;
- Knowledge or experience of regional issues an advantage;
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and Arabic is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 14 July 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 01.07.2022 to 14.07.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 214 Project Officer (Immigration Border Management (IBM)) (P3) Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (57654292) Released
Posting: Posting NC57654293 (57654293) Released