Position number: ALG / DC / P / 2023/01 Date of publication: 08/06/2023 Closing date ( midnight, Algiers time ): June 28, 2023
Job ID: 10919 Departure: BR-Africa Unit: BP-Alger Place of employment: Rabat Type of contract: Determined duration
Duration of the contract: 12 months ( renewable )
According to Article 4.2 ( e ) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacant posts in technical cooperation projects is not governed within the framework of Annex I to the Staff Regulations and is done by direct choice of the Director-General.
In order to ensure that direct selection to fill the vacant position is based on the best possible decision-making process, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their applications online before the date indicated above.
Appointments to technical cooperation contracts do not confer the right to a career at the ILO or to an automatic renewal of the contract or a conversion for a commitment of another kind to within the Organization. One year of fixed-term contract will be granted. In addition, the extensions of technical cooperation contracts are conditioned in particular on the following elements: the availability of funds, the continuity of the need for the functions exercised and the services and satisfactory conduct.
Can submit their application:
- Internal candidates, in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I to the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
The ILO attaches great importance to diversity among its staff and welcomes the candidacies of qualified women. We also encourage those of people with disabilities. If you cannot complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to email@example.com.
The International Labor Organization ( ILO ) is the United Nations institution which aims to promote and implement fundamental rights at work, increase employment and income opportunities for women and men, expand the benefit and effectiveness of social protection for all, and strengthen tripartism and social dialogue.
The ILO Country Office for Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania and Tunisia, based in Algiers, seeks to recruit a Project Manager ( CP ) for a regional development cooperation project to be implemented in 9 countries in the North Africa and Middle East regionOrient ( « MENA » ), supported by the European Commission, called « Young NEET in the countries of the southern neighborhood ».
The high rates of young people aged 15 to 24 who are neither employed nor educated, nor in training ( « NEET » ) in the countries of the MENA region have their origin both on the demand side ( the creation of decent jobs remains limited in particular in an economic context just ) that supply on the labor market ( low qualifications held by leavers from education and training systems ).
The long-term objective of the project is to improve the situation of young NEETs in the region by accompanying them towards employment, in particular through training courses adapted to their own situation. The project intends to achieve this objective by strengthening public policies and practices in response to the needs of young NEETs.
The project will support Public Employment Services ( SPE ) and other public and private ( service providers to strengthen their capacity to respond comprehensively to obstacles to the integration of young people NEET in the labor market. The project will support the PES of the MENA countries in order to reach the young NEETs through local awareness-raising strategies, in particular by collaborating with other public and private providers and by drawing on the lessons learned from the Youth Guarantee scheme implemented by the European Union.
Based on a demand-driven approach from host countries and institutions, an integrated set of support measures targeting NEET young people will be identified and deployed.
Three pilot countries have been identified on a preliminary basis for the development and implementation of a pilot system: Morocco, Tunisia, and the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Other exchange and capacity building activities will be held at a regional level for all the countries covered by the project.
The experimentation of the pilot programs and strategies will allow to develop a sustainable and long-term strategy to finance youth employment and awareness of NEETs beyond the life of the project, which is 3 years.
Within the framework of the procedures established by the ILO for the management of development cooperation projects, the PC will be responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of the project and will provide technical advisory services to the beneficiaries of the project. He / she will ensure that the objectives defined in the project document are achieved on time and within the indicated budget and will ensure compliance with the financial and operational procedures of the ILO.
The central unit of the project – made up of the PC and a based administrative assistant – will be located in the ILO project office in Rabat, which is administratively covered by the Office of ILO countries in Algiers. The PC will be responsible for the implementation of the project in all 9 countries of the North Africa and Middle East region.
Based in Rabat, the incumbent will be directly responsible for the achievement of the expected results of the project, under the direction and direct supervision of the Director of the ILO Country Office in Algiers and in regular coordination with the Focal Point of the ILO in Morocco. He / she will work in close collaboration with the ILO Decent Work Technical Support Team for North Africa in Cairo and the relevant technical departments of the ILO headquarters in Geneva, in particular the EMPLAB branch ( Employment, Labor Markets and Youth Branch ).
The PC will directly supervise a team of two national coordinators, respectively based in Tunis and Jerusalem, as well as an administrative assistant based in Rabat.
Main functions and responsibilities :
- Ensure effective project implementation and delivery of expected outputs through planning, monitoring, monitoring and evaluation of project activities, in line with ILO project policies and strategies, and in line with programming guidelines of the ILO and administrative and financial procedures in consultation with the ILO Office in Algiers.
- Initiate and maintain collaboration with all the national partners concerned ( public institutions, local actors, workers ‘and employers’ representatives ), with a view to providing them with appropriate technical advice and building their capacities, setting up and supporting governance of the project, at regional and national level.
- Carry out missions in the regions covered by the project to ensure the proper implementation of project activities.
- Mandate and manage service providers and implementing institutions for the production of project deliverables and other activities in support of the project. Provide the necessary support to ensure the quality of analysis methods, research and reports.
- Plan, direct and participate in the preparation and production of technical publications. Ensure the documentation of the results, good practices and lessons learned from the project in view of its feasibility and their consideration in other countries of the region, including through the preparation of technical notes, brochures and other publications. Prepare case studies and research reports for knowledge sharing.
6. Identify possible opportunities for resource mobilization for promotion and expansion of the project and / or opportunities for co-funding of project activities from other sources; including the identification and development of technical synergies with other programs and projects of the ILO and other development agencies.
7. Establishment and maintain a robust system for monitoring and evaluating project activities based on results-based management and monitoring and evaluation frameworks. Prepare periodic project progress reports and communicate regularly with the donor, as well as any other report required by BP-Alger as part of reporting.
8. Evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of relevant project activities and discuss any revisions with project Boards.
9. Implementation a communication strategy and communicate regularly on the progress and results of the project.
10. Manage and supervisor project staff, including recruiting and evaluating their performance.
11. Promote the inclusion of gender equality and non-discrimination in all aspects of the project.
12. Perform any other duties required by his supervisor.
Advanced university degree ( Masters or equivalent ) in economics, social sciences, business management, development, public administration or other relevant fields.
At least seven years of experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of decent employment programs linked to the sustainable integration of young people into the labor market. Solid experience in managing complex multi-component projects requiring multi-actor and multi-institutional coordination. Proven experience of working with different actors in the public and private sectors as well as social partners, including at high level. Knowledge of the rules and procedures of the ILO or of the Agencies of the United Nations System, in terms of development cooperation, will be an advantage.
Excellent command of written and spoken French and good knowledge of English. Fluency in Arabic would be an advantage.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires professional skills:
- Excellent leadership skills, ability to work effectively in a team and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop clear strategic objectives consist with project objectives, and to design and synthesize strategies for the development of operational programs and plans
- Technical capacity in the promotion of employment and the design and implementation of development programs for value chains and market systems
- Knowledge of business promotion tools ( access to finance, entrepreneurship, cooperatives, corporate social responsibility )
- Ability to defend and provide strategic advice, lead discussions and negotiate with governments, employers ‘and workers’ organizations, non-governmental organizations and other agencies, including with high-level interlocutors
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to promote the concept of decent work and fundamental principles and rights at work, as well as social dialogue.
- Ability to organize and plan work and ability to guide and train staff.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviors and attitudes.
- Clear understanding of gender mainstreaming and demonstrated ability to integrate gender issues into development initiatives
- Good knowledge of the respective roles and relations between international organizations and governments in technical cooperation, and / or good knowledge of the socio-economic factors of different countries. Excellent knowledge of technical cooperation principles, concepts and techniques. Knowledge of the social and economic conditions of various countries
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to adopt a non-sexist and non-discriminatory behavior.
- Recruitment is subject to the availability of funds.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment and / or contract extension is subject to the Staff Regulations and other internal rules in force. Any offer of ILO employment is subject to certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the individual is medically fit to fulfill the inherent and specific requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an ILO offer, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to, among other things, the following: availability of funds, continued need for the functions performed and satisfactory service and conduct.
For more information on employment conditions, please see the International Recruitment page on the ILO Jobs website.
Please note that all applicants must complete an online application form. To do so, please go to the ILO e-Recruitment site, ILO Jobs, at the following address: https://jobs.ilo.org/?locale=fr_FR. The system provides the necessary instructions to facilitate the online application procedure.
Candidates will be contacted directly if they are selected for a written test and / or an interview.
Dependent on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO reserves the right to use communication technologies such as Skype, video or teleconferencing, email, etc. in order to carry out the assessment of candidates during the various stages of the recruitment process, including the assessment center, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse and is committed to ensuring that no staff member or beneficiary of the Organization’s assistance is victimized, directly or indirectly. indirectly. To ensure that persons with a proven history of sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment or other types of abusive behavior are not recruited by the Organization, the ILO may carry out background checks candidates under consideration.
The ILO does not charge any fees at any time during the recruitment process, either when applying for the interview, the actual recruitment procedure or the training. Messages from email addresses different from those of the ILO – ilo@.org – should in no case be considered. In addition, the ILO does not need and does not request to know the information relating to the applicant’s bank account.