Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator, Education
Ref No: 2200048T
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 1 Year
Reports to: Education Project Manager Education and Field Manager (Matrix Reporting)
Staff reporting to this post: Education Officers and Community Mobilization Officers (Yobe)
Budget Responsibilities: Yes
- Save the Children with NRC/Street Child and UNICEF is implementing Education Cannot Wait (ECW) Seed funding project of Education Cannot Wait – Multi Year Resilience Project (ECW-MYRP) in the Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY) States of North eastern Nigeria. ECW MYRP is an innovative model for education in emergencies programming.
- The MYRP Theory of Change focuses on conflict-sensitive interventions, that move communities from emergency to recovery and towards development. The funding for MYRP is ensured that out of school children (OOSC) in priority areas have flexible, responsive routes into learning opportunities, that support their transition into further levels of education and that support their holistic wellbeing and development. The MYRP in line with ECW priorities focusses on interventions targeting 3-18 years especially refugees, IDPs, returnees and host communities.
- The Project Coordinator Education will lead the delivery/ implementation of Education Cannot Wait – Multi Year Resilience Project (ECW-MYRP) for Save the Children as Implementing Partner in the respective State.
- The job holder provides overall programmatic and operational coordination and management including; planning, implementation, capacity enhancement, monitoring/ evaluation and reporting internally (within SCI).
- The job holder may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
- Under the guidance of the Field Manager and the Project Manager Education, he/she will ensure that ECW-MYRP is implemented in a coordinated, harmonized and aligned manner, in line with donor requirements and commitments.
- The Education Project Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the Education Project Manager in submission of a quality, timely and regular progress reports.
Key Areas Of Accountability
Projects Coordination & Management:
- Coordinate the implementation of the ECW-MYRP in the respective State in line with the design of the project and donor requirements.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen linkages in the design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting and capacity enhancement of staff in ECW-MYRP.
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with staff, partners and key stakeholders.
- Plan and coordinate State and LGA level engagements with partners and key stakeholders.
- Monitor and ensure timely and quality reports are submitted as per the reporting requirements.
- Work closely with Supply Chain, MEAL and Operation teams to ensure quality program delivery, documentation and reporting of the project in the respective State.
Operational Planning and Implementation:
- In close coordination with the Education Project Manager, provide support to ensure design, planning, monitor project implementation plans, phased budgets, monitoring and support, documentation and reporting for ECW-MYRP.
- Provide technical solutions/ support to expedite the implementation and budget performance of the ECW-MYRP project, in line with plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the ECW-MYRP project staff in developing annual plans, in line with EIE best practices, INEE Minimum standards for education projects design and Save the Children International’s Minimum Standards for Education in Emergencies and Common Approaches.
- Planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans, and that the project objectives and targets are being achieved in line with designed ECW-MYRP.
- Provide guidance to the Education Officers through the planning processes to develop plans that are cost effective and in line with ECW-MYRP Detail Implementation Plan.
- Maintain high standards of transparency and accountability in the course of project implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of project duration and meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provide regular operations and implementation updates to Field Manager and Project Manager Education on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
- Ensure the timely reviews and adjustments for the project operational and implementation plans and budgets as may be required from time to time.
Finance and Budget Management:
- Support budget performance to ensure that projects are on course as per detailed implementation plans and phased budgets.
- In coordination with the Project Manager Education and Field Manager, conduct project monitoring, suggest necessary revisions and prepare draft reports for corrective actions.
- Ensure that the budget variance analysis is monitored and reported on time and with accurate information.
- Work closely with Project Manager Education to ensure that education and community mobilization officers are well guided, supported and their capacity built in sound financial management procedures.
Program / Project Narrative and Financial Reporting:
- Work in close collaboration with the Project Manager Education in the review and guide project teams in preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of project narrative and financial reports which are in accordance with the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- Review all program financial reports, ensuring that donor guidelines have been followed and high standards met. The project deadlines met in reporting and keep a track record of reporting (Narrative and Financial).
- Organize and facilitate quarterly follow ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
- Review overall Budget Vs Actual expenditure analysis and variance explanations.
Internal and External Engagements:
- Ensure that the ECW-MYRP is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks the EiE-WG and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGA and State).
- Participants and give update of the ECW-MYRP activities in all EiE –WG meetings at the state level.
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed up.
- Coordinate with project staff to ensure timely submission of MOV to MEAL for tracking of indictor progress on regular basics
- Collect and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with CRM and MEAL teams for ECW-MYRP.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Work together with the Field Manager and the Project Manager Education to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Coach and mentor the Education and Community Mobilization Officers on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Regularly provide feedback to team mate on their performance and support. in areas of difficulties
- Capacity building of Education and Community Mobilization Officers through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Academic Background, Experience & Person Specifications
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Master’s Degree with work experience in Education. Experience in managing in any thematic area such as education, child protection, child rights governance or disaster risk reduction is a must.
- At least 5 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 3 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning skills, be able to set priorities, prepare manageable plans and to evaluate progress.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
Skills and Behaviors (Our Values In Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
- Field Manager and Project Manager –regular contact
- Education Programme Managers – frequent contact
- Education Project Teams – frequent contacts
- Community Mobilization Team- regular contact
- Technical Specialists – frequent contact
- Team Leaders – regular contact
- Other Save the Children Staff – regular contact
- Partners – frequent contact
- Children, stakeholders – regular
- Government agencies (National & State Government staff) – Frequent contact
- Donors-minimal contact
Application Closing Date
13th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online