ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator, Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD)
Job Purpose and Background
- ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) together with ActionAid Denmark (AADK) has partnered up on a Global Entity to support youth activism and social movements. The galaxy of activities includes rapid response mechanisms for human rights defenders (HRDs), movement-led action research, capacity building, digital activism, and flexible funding streams to civic formations in their various iterations.
- AAN plays a major delivery role in the The Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD) and in setting up and reaching the objectives of the Global Entity.
- The Programme Coordinator will direct the strengthening and support of movements
- S/he will contribute to the co-creation and implementation of a leadership program for activists, Human Rights Defenders and social movement leaders together with a global team of colleagues in India, Tanzania and Denmark.
- The Global Organising Leadership Development programme encompasses a variety of approaches with the aim of supporting activists in achieving their goals. The capacity building initiatives are strategically designed to ensure the achievement of the overall longterm outcomes by building and sustaining the ability of movements to push for just, feminist, resilient and green societies.
- The programme acknowledges the different needs social movement activists might have and meets these needs by building the core ability of young people to organise their constituencies, setting visions and agree on principles, analyse the contexts they are operating in as well as their own organisational vulnerabilities as a movement, craft strategic plans and mobilise support around their agendas.
- S/he will serve as an interface between social movements, ActionAid Nigeria and the
- partners in the Global Entity and the GOLD programme.
Programme Coordinator Role:
- Co-create the learning content for social movements and activists in close collaboration with the GOLD team in Denmark, Tanzania and India.
- Encourage and support excluded groups and communities living in marginalization to be effective drivers of their own change
- Assist movements and organisations in building alliances and platforms.
- Identify, reach out to and provide support to change agents who organize, and involve the public to actively oppose anti-people policies and seek positive, just solutions.
- Implement the planned activities under the umbrella of the GOLD programme,
- Nurture movements of (young) people with the requisite political knowledge and capacity in line with their causes.
- Monitor, document, and share critical debate around movement issues for Global Entity/Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD) adaptation and management.
- Facilitate linkage between Activista and other social movements, organising spaces, networks, and mass organisations platforms. Capacity Development
- Provide continuous support through coaching, support visits, formal, and informal training to emerging and exiting movements in the region.
- Support capacity development for Activista, other youth platforms and movements.
- Support capacity building of movements on strategy, tactics and campaigns Documentation, Communication and Reporting
- Document and share learning from Global Entity/Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD) at national and international forum
- Ensure Global Entity/Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD) documents are uploaded in the AAN SharePoint, CMS etc.
- Coordinate the storage, retrieval, and review of Global Entity/Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD) related information
- Collaborate with other international GOLD colleagues to submit success stories or case studies on lessons learnt for dissemination with the wider audience.
- Ensure timely implementation of and reporting on agreed activities in the Global Entity/Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD)
- Participate in AAN programme meetings and share experiences from the field, bringing up issues of general programme nature for collective decision-making.
- Facilitate the sharing of information among social movements, Global Entity/ Global Organising Leadership Development programme (GOLD) team, and other stakeholders.
- Submit timely financial reports on funds released for activities in compliance with AAN financial reporting requirements.
- Ensure judicious and appropriate use of funds and other resources given to social movements in adherence to agreed use of resources with flexibility in use to respond to changes and value adding opportunities when they occur. Representation
- Participate at relevant initiatives and campaigns of broad-based youth platforms, networks, coalitions, and social movements that AAN belongs to or may deem relevant to her goals and objectives.
- Represent AAN at public events, relevant national youth advocacy networks and initiatives – including attending meetings on behalf of AAN Others
- Carry out any other responsibilities assigned by line manager. Internal Relationships: Entire AAN team. External Relationships: The GOLD team and the Global Entity, Partners, Donors, Communities, CSOs, youth organisations, and relevant government agencies.
Education / Qualifications
- First Degree in Social Sciences or Arts/Humanities/Law is essential
- Masters’ Degree in a relevant field is desirable
- At least seven (7) years post NYSC experience, four of which should be in a similar position with particular emphasis on social forum and movement building in the civil society space is essential
- Experience in project management is essential
- Experience with activism and good knowledge of the past, current and emerging social movement landscape of Nigeria and neighbouring countries is essential
- Experience working with youth, coalitions, networks, and movement is desirable
Skill / Abilities:
- Background in community organising and direct action and connections to social movements on the African continent
- Running and facilitating physical and online capacity strengthening activities (trainings, workshops, webinars etc), doing post training evaluations for better impact
- Ability to set clear outcomes for capacity activities, assess and collect needs and expectations from movements, is a plus.
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Excellent skills to motivate and inspire a functional team will be essential
- Strong analytical / problem-solving skills.
- Multi-tasking skills
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Highly numerate
- A person of integrity, creative and takes initiative.
- A person of tested emotional intelligence.
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment.
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- A self-motivated person able to work without close supervision.
- Able to effectively promote AAN’s mission values, and objectives.
Application Closing Date
3rd August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their MS Word CV / Application to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the mail.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- However, applications will be reviewed on rolling basis as received. While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) in line with our
- Child Safeguarding policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse; and Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse at Work Policy and Overarching
- SHEA and Safeguarding Policy; as well as our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns