Professional specialized legal in prior consultation processes
Job advertisement : Aug 24/2023
Publication cancellation date : Sep 7, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO Colombia
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Colombia-Bogota
Duration: 3 months trial period, renewable
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO is the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, leading the international effort for a world free of hunger and malnutrition in which food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all its inhabitants, especially the poorest, economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. We work to contribute to the fulfillment of Agenda 2030 and its global goals by promoting sustainable, inclusive and resilient food systems to achieve production, nutrition, an environment and a better life.
The vacancy is located in Bogotá with trips to the project’s areas of action. The position belongs to the area of Natural Resources and Governance.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Colombia, the program officer, the technical supervision of the senior specialist in natural resources and governance, the forestry officer of legal issues REDD + in Rome, the chief technical officer ( LTO ) REDD + of FAO for Latin America and the Caribbean ( LAC ), under the guidance of the legal officer of the Development Law Service and the direct supervision of the coordinator of the GCF-Visión Amazonia, and in coordination with the specialized missionary professional/a in gender and the leader of indigenous peoples component and social and environmental safeguards.
Field of specialization
The specialized legal professional in prior consultation processes is responsible for leading the component of the prior consultation that the project must develop, complying with FAO standards.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Prepare a detailed work plan and schedule of activities for the development of contract activities.
- Accompany the development of Product 3. Territorial governance and capacities of indigenous peoples strengthened for the sustainable management and conservation of forests and their Activity 3.1 Strengthening the implementation of REDD + and forest governance in Ethnic Territories.
- Work in coordination with the team of the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development and the GCF-Visión Amazonia team.
- Draft a document containing the general guidelines that the free, prior and informed consultation process in accordance with international law, FAO directives and Colombian law must contain, focusing on REDD + activities in the Ethnic Territories for the preparation of free and informed prior consultation. This document must be approved by the forestry officer, REDD + legal issues in Rome and the Legal Officer of the Development Law Service, in collaboration with the Policy Officer for Indigenous Peoples and Social Inclusion.
- Provide strategic guidance for the preparation of the free and informed prior consultation of the Amazon Vision Program so that all legal requirements are explicitly met during all phases of the consultation.
- Provide legal guidelines and guidelines for the conceptual and methodological design during all phases of the Free and informed Prior Consultation Process of the Program.
- Generate documents and instruments in conjunction with the consultation leader, the Minambiente team, REDD Early Moovers -REM- Vision Amazon and GCF- Vision Amazon and the Organization of Indigenous Peoples of the Colombian Amazon ( OPIAC ), required during all phases of the consultation.
- Provide legal technical guidance for the validation and adjustments of the documents that are in the process of consultation according to the results of the preceding phases.
- Support responses of petition rights, requests for information and other requirements derived from prior consultation.
- From its technical competence, participate and provide legal assistance in the spaces for discussion and consultation of the different phases of the consultation.
- Facilitate the access of project partners to relevant information for the methodological development of products, from the prior consultation process.
- In close coordination with MinAmbiente, prepare response documents and follow up on information exchanges with indigenous peoples and their organizations.
- Participate in work meetings, gender trainings and safeguards, courses, presentations, and other socialization events, training or transfer of capacities to which it is designated by the project coordinator.
- Ensure the integrity and security of the information handled during the exercise of its activities.
- Carry out its activities, in accordance with the parameters and guidelines established by FAO.
- Contribute to the preparation of the final documents of the prior consultation process in coordination with Minambiente, REM Vision Amazonia and GCF Vision Amazon Minambiente, OPIAC and the MRA that will be the proposal of the National Government in the Amazon Regional Roundtable for consultation, which includes technical memory and documents agreed and approved: a. Proposal for Guarantee Mechanisms, b. modifications to the Amazon Vision Program c. Modifications to the Indigenous Pillar of Amazon Vision.
- The consultant must consult, study and appropriate the PROTOCOL FOR THE REPORT OF CASES OF EXPLOITATION AND SEXUAL ABUSE OF COMMUNITIES ( delivered by Human Management ) and report immediately, according to it, the cases that are known to you. FAO Colombia has zero tolerances for any practice of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Promote the generation and dissemination of good gender practices in accordance with FAO’s gender equality policy.
- Draft, document and present reports of results of execution of the planned activities.
- Attend the other activities that the supervisor is required to consider for the correct execution of the contract.
- Any other work related to the subject matter that was required by the coordination of the project, that is related to the nature of the position.
- Facilitate the documentation and systematization of FAO strategic experiences. Timely diligence at the time of withdrawal from the organization, the charge delivery certificate and, in the event of supervisory functions, follow up on the correct delivery of the position of the personnel in charge.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Professional in law with specialization in sustainable development, environmental law, gender, environmental management, citizen participation, natural resources, human rights, indigenous rights, or the like.
- Minimum of six ( 6 ) years in protected areas, land use planning, climate change, resolution of environmental conflicts and related issues, or in prior consultation processes.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish ( C level ) spoken and written.
- Colombian nationality.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Experience in projects with indigenous communities in the Colombian Amazon.
- Extensive knowledge of gender.
- Work experience in the development of participatory process methodologies on environmental issues.
- Experience in negotiation processes with social actors.
- Extensive knowledge of the legal framework of prior consultation in Colombia and of the different norms that regulate it at the international level.
- Ability to write texts and written documents.
- Sensitivity to work with organizations and communities.
- Good working relationships with personnel and public entities, as well as understanding the nature of the Public Server.
- Teamwork experience with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Teamwork ability, good interpersonal relationships and assertive communication skills.
- Basic handling of computer tools.
- Leadership, initiative, creativity, responsibility and flexibility.
- Recognized capacity for the preparation and development of work plans.
- Ability to act at all times with extreme discretion regarding United Nations documents, information and materials.
- Permanent attitude and behavior of cordiality, composure, respect and collaboration with all the people and organizations with whom it interacts.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: [email protected].
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE