Professional specialized in Geographic Information Systems for Interoperability
Job advertisement : May 05, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 19, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Colombia
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Colombia-Bogota
Duration: 3 months trial period, renewable
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO is the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, leading the international effort for a world free of hunger and malnutrition in which food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all its inhabitants, especially the poorest, economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. We work to contribute to the fulfillment of Agenda 2030 and its global goals by promoting sustainable, inclusive and resilient food systems to achieve production, nutrition, an environment and a better life.
The vacancy is located in Bogotá with trips to the project’s areas of action. The position belongs to the area of Natural Resources and Governance.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Colombia, the Program Officer, technical supervision of the senior specialist in natural resources and governance and direct supervision of the national project coordinator.
Field of specialization
The Professional specialized in Geographic Information Systems for Interoperability is responsible for leading the GIS component for the forestry strategy, complying with FAO standards.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of activity 1.1 of the project related to “ Strengthening of national monitoring of existing forests and early warning reports in deforestation areas ” defined in the Product framework 1: “ Strengthening national and local capacities for monitoring and control ” of the project.
- Work in coordination with the IDEAM Ecosystem and Environmental Information Branch or who from this unit is delegated by IDEAM.
- Prepare the complete work plan, including the detailed methodology to be applied and the schedule of activities to be executed.
- Carry out the analysis, completeness and consolidation of the databases of the assigned administrative records of the National Forest Information System ( SNIF ), which contributes to strengthening existing national forest monitoring of deforestation reports and analyzes ( forest harvesting modules, forest confiscation, forest mobilization, restoration/protective planting and plant cover fires ), through the following activities:
- Consult and download geographic information from information sources related to assigned administrative records of the National Forest Information System ( SNIF ), Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Colombian Agricultural Institute (ICA ), National Administrative Department of Statistics ( DANE ), National Federation of Wood Industrialists ( Fedemaderas ), National Parks Natural ( PNN ), Amazon Institute for Scientific Research ( SINCHI ), Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Biological Resources Research ( IavH ), José Benito Vives de Andréis Institute for Marine and Coastal Research ( Invemar ) and other data-generating sources related to SNIF themes,on the cut-off dates agreed with the Ecosystems and Environmental Information subdirectorate of IDEAM, and prioritizing that related to the project implementation area ( Colombian Amazon ).
- Review of the quality and status of the information from the geographic databases obtained from the SNIF and other information source entities for the fire modules of the vegetation cover, forest seizures, restoration / protective plantations and the forest exploitation module, based on the procedures established for this purpose.
- Debugging and adjusting geographic databases obtained from SNIF and other information source entities for plant cover fire modules, forest seizures and restoration/plantations and the forest harvesting module.
- Carry out analyzes with the information purified for the specific areas of project implementation: Amazon biome and Forest Development Nuclei ( NDF ), such as Bajo Caguan, Solano, Mapiripán, and others that are defined jointly with MinAmbiente.
- Validate and structure the ( alphanumeric and geographic ) database based on the diagnosis of the information reported in the assigned SNIF modules and the data generating entities of the forestry sector and work in coordination with the Thematic SNIF professionals.
- Upload the SNIF geographic information in the Ideam viewer, following the guidelines of the Environmental Information System group ( SIA ).
- Review and validate geographic information using images produced by remote sensors.
- Support information management with the sources that generate the records for the assigned modules of the SNIF and the environmental authorities in accordance with Decree 1655 of 2017. For this management, calls must be made, use of institutional mail to officiate requests for information collection.
- Generation of cartographic outputs for forest bulletins prepared from the information reported in the SNIF, with main emphasis on the project implementation areas.
- Support for the preparation of acceptance tests and monitoring of the evolutionary improvements of the SNIF from the thematic, in relation to incidents, deployments and interoperability processes, depending on the needs that arise within the framework of the project. Note: This activity depends on what is done by the ecosystem subdirectorate, with the IDEAM systems area for the evolutionary improvement of the SNIF.
- Support for the preparation of timely responses to requirements and trades that occur within the framework of the SNIF, as well as preparing the requested presentations according to the needs of the project.
- Prepare a proposal for a methodological route for the operation of the interoperability of SNIF systems, the Forest and Carbon Monitoring System ( SMByC ) and the IFN National Forest Inventory, and carry out tests in this regard considering the information collected for the project implementation areas.
- Visit the provider entities and sources of information in the project’s area of influence to strengthen the registry, trainings, validation of the information and develop field activities in accordance with the guidelines given by the coordination of the Forest group of the Ecosystem Subdirectorate and Environmental Information of the IDEAM.
- Develop field activities when necessary to carry out their activities and prepare a technical report on each of the outputs according to the needs of the project.
- Comply with the rules and procedures of the Integrated Management System, established by the Institute.
- Deliver the products of this contract, as well as the results reports, in digital and in a removable unit, in the Drive formats and folders arranged by the coordination and supervision of the contract.
- Participate in work meetings, courses, presentations, and other socialization, training, or capacity transfer events to which you are designated, including the gender approach for monitoring project activities.
- Carry out its activities, in accordance with the parameters and guidelines established by FAO.
- The owner must consult, study and appropriate the protocol for reporting cases of sexual exploitation and abuse of communities and report immediately, in accordance with it, the cases that are known to you. FAO Colombia has zero tolerances for any practice of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Promote the generation and dissemination of good gender practices in accordance with FAO’s gender equality policy.
- Draft, document and present reports of results of execution of the planned activities.
- Any other work related to the subject matter that was required by the coordination of the project, that is related to the nature of the position.
- Facilitar la documentación y sistematización de experiencias estratégicas de la FAO.
- Diligenciar oportunamente al momento de retiro de la organización el acta de entrega de cargo y en caso de ejercer funciones de supervisión realizar seguimiento a la correcta entrega del cargo del personal a cargo.
LOS CANDIDATOS SERÁN EVALUADOS CON ARREGLO A LOS SIGUIENTES CRITERIOS:
- Profesional en ingeniería forestal, catastral, ambiental, geografía, biología deseable especialización en Sistemas de Información Geográfica y/o en Geomática.
- Mas de cinco (5) años de experiencia en interpretación de imágenes producto de sensores remotos.
- Mínimo dos (2) años de experiencia en bases de datos geográficas.
- Conocimiento práctico del español (nivel C) hablado y escrito.
- Nacionalidad colombiana.
Competencias fundamentales de la FAO
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Solid knowledge of Colombian public institutions related to the environmental sector.
- Wide mastery of geospatial analysis tools ( QGIS, ArcGIS ) and database analysis tools ( R, Python, SQL, Oracle Data base, among others ).
- Microsoft Office Application Domain ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. )
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills.
- Ability to prepare concise reports according to United Nations standards.
- Work experience with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Management skills for articulation with regional, local and national actors, of public and private order.
- Teamwork ability, good interpersonal relationships and assertive communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team and establish networks and alliances.
- Leadership, initiative, creativity, responsibility and flexibility.
- Recognized capacity for the preparation and development of work plans.
- Ability to act at all times with extreme discretion regarding United Nations documents, information and materials.
- Permanent attitude and behavior of cordiality, composure, respect and collaboration with all the people and organizations with whom it interacts.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE