Background Information – Job-specific
Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) is part of the UNOPS Europe and Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
- HR and Transactional Services
- Grants Management
- Technical and Advisory Services
Job Specific Under guidance and direct supervision of AUMCO Head of Support Services, the Procurement Manager will play following key functions:
- Strategic oversight of procurement planning, processes and activities, including providing guidance and quality assurance to AUMCO offices and teams;
- Managing and guiding procurement team and processes at the MCO level;
- Providing surge technical capacity to effectively develop and operationalize new engagements.
AUMCO Procurement Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic and effective procurement services reflecting international public procurement best practices, compliance with UNOPS procurement policy, rules, regulations and procedures, ensuring appropriate risk management and obtaining the best value for money for the acquisition of goods, services and the contracting of works. S/he analyzes and interprets the respective rules and regulations, and provides advice and solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement. The role requires deep understanding of procurement policy and processes, and the Procurement Manager should be able to apply them to the appropriate situations. In addition to responsibility for the deliverables of the work team, Procurement Manager’s work is focused on strategic relationship building and demand management, mainly referred to aggregation and dealing with complex organizational structures, preparation of business cases and understanding of the supply market, as well as sharing knowledge with projects in order to achieve reductions of costs and savings. Similarly, s/he is invited to actively participate in the corporate initiatives in the area of procurement, contribution to the development of the relevant guidance, tools and resources, and the coordination with the procurement practitioners throughout the AUMCO country and global portfolios. Maintaining the highest degree of personal and professional ethics, the Procurement Manager promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach. S/he works in close collaboration with the programme/project colleagues in the MCO and with UNOPS HQ personnel, particularly with the Procurement Group (PG), as well as the Government officials, to successfully deliver procurement services. Procurement Manager works in close cooperation with the AUMCO offices and Project Managers and reports to the management on central issues related to procurement activities. S/he supervises and leads procurement personnel to deliver work results, in close cooperation with the leadership team in the MCO.Functional Responsibilities
1. Development and implementation of procurement strategies 2. Management of procurement processes 3. Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools 4. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing 5. Team Management 1. Leads the development and implementation of procurement and contracting strategies for goods, services and works, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Appropriate application of UNOPS procurement governance framework (rules, regulations, policies and tools) in MCO Business Units and project/programme operations.
- Provision of supply-market intelligence and analysis.
- Procurement strategies, approaches and plans designed and implemented according to cost reduction and saving strategies, applying:
- Expertise in market intelligence matched to business requirements;
- Optimal stakeholder management principles;
- Sustainability criteria;
- Appropriate work processes to individual cases.
- Oversight and supervision of the implementation and results of strategic and routine procurement work plans in Business Units, covering Pre-Purchasing: Strategy and Planning; Requirements Definition; Sourcing; Purchasing: Solicitation; Management of Submissions; Evaluation; Review and Award; Post Purchasing: Contract finalization and issuance; Logistics; and Contract Management.
2. Manage and guide procurement processes for the acquisition of goods, services and the construction of works for the AUMCO Business Units, focusing on achievement of the following results, in compliance with the official procurement policies, rules, regulations and procedures:
- Sustainability embedded in the procurement process.
- Appropriate procurement modalities and instruments applied (e-sourcing, procurement and Rosters of Suppliers) based on individual case requirements, utilizing expert knowledge of procurement policies and instruments.
- Creation, implementation and oversight of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes in Business Units and projects including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS Procurement rules and regulations.
- Review and pre-clearance of solicitation documents, requests for awards and submissions to Contract and Property Committees (CPCs) in role as Procurement Reviewer (in OneUNOPS or Enterprise system).
- Procurement contracts and contractors optimally managed through supplier and contract performance management against agreed benchmarks and through agreed reporting mechanisms.
- Implementation of Internal control system.
- Participation in the corporate initiatives in the area of procurement, contribution to the development of the relevant guidance, tools and resources, and the coordination with the procurement leads.
- Elaboration of comments regarding project audit reports of the Business Units, when necessary.
3. Ensure introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Creation, development and management of rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Ensures that the e-sourcing tools are used in accordance with PG goals and standards in this area.
4. Team Management
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective recruitment, work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
5. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for AUMCO personnel on Procurement-related topics.
- Lead and conduct initiatives on capacity development and knowledge building for procurement personnel, including network development, plans, learning plans and activities, procurement practice information and best practice benchmarking.
- Oversee team’s contributions to Procurement knowledge networks and communities of practice including collaborative synthesis of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement management.
- Guide team’s collection of feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
Impact of Results The effective and successful achievement of results by AUMCO Procurement Manager directly affects the overall efficiency of the region and specific programme and project initiatives, in regards to procurement management, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective programmes and AUMCO business units operations. Timely, market-aware, and accountable delivery of services, ensures performance, efficiency and client satisfaction, which promote the image and credibility of the team and AUMCO as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the given geographical area.
- Advanced Degree preferably in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- A First University degree in combination with a minimum of seven (7) years’ qualifying experience, may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- For those who do not have a degree in Procurement or Supply Chain Management, Chartered Institute of Supply and Management (CIPS) or similar international Certification, is a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of UN/ /UNOPS Procurement Rules and Regulations is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ professional experience at the international level in advising on, and implementing policies and procedures to deliver a range of complex procurement programmes and services is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ relevant experience in UN system procurement services is required.
- Experience in working with a range of stakeholders in developing and developed countries is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (preferably GSuite) is required.
- Experience in UNOPS procurement is highly desirable.
- Personnel supervisory experience in procurement is highly desirable.
- Working experience in a developing country is highly desirable.
- Full knowledge of English is essential
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: I-ICA-2 (ICS-10) Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspxCompetencies
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.