Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the posiiton below:
Job Title: Procurement Manager
Location: Lagos, Nigeria (with frequent travels to Abuja and Kano)
Name of Project: USAID Youth-Powered Ecosystem to Advance Urban Adolescent Health (YPE4AH)
Reports to: Senior Organizational Capacity Development Specialist
Project Duration 5 years: May 2020-2024
Contract Duration: 12 Months
- USAID Youth-Powered Ecosystem to Advance Urban Adolescent Health (YPE4AH) is a five-year (May 2020 –May 2025) award funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
- It is being implemented in Lagos and Kano by DAI in partnership with select local NGOs and the government of Nigeria.
- The project is aimed at improving the health and well-being of underprivileged, out-of-school adolescents aged 15 – 19 years of age in urban slums in selected communities in Lagos and Kano States. The program will foster an ecosystem that centers around
- Youth Hubs and seek to provide safe spaces to access sexual and reproductive health and rights information and referrals.
- Similarly, the program will empower young Nigerians to think about their futures differently and access the skills and resources needed to realize their aspirations from a holistic, human capital perspective.
- The Procurement Manager will manage project procurement and ensure compliance with USAID regulations and DAI policy and procedures to supporting project activities at the YPE4AH DAI project office.
- Duties will include supervising the day-to-day procurement functions, including one-time and recurring procurements in support of office operations and project implementation.
- S/he will maintain a procurement process that is transparent, responsive, and efficient in delivering goods and services on time and within budget.
- The Procurement Manager is a full-time position based in Lagos, Nigeria, and will report to the Senior Organizational Capacity Development Specialist.
The Procurement Manager’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- In coordination with the Finance, Operations, Administration, and Programs ensure that procurement practices comply with the project’s DAI’s Field office Policy and Procedures Manual and USAID rules and regulations.
- Manage the overall day-to-day procurement process. Prepare requests for quotations and proposals, conduct bid evaluation, prepare price analysis, and conduct due diligence (reference checks and site visits) and draft purchase orders in support of the procurement of goods and services for the project.
- Assist in preparing the annual procurement plan with support from the COP/HO, operations, finance, and technical Staff;
- Work closely with the project technical teams and provide procurement guidance and assistance to activity trainings, events, and meetings that will require the rental of venues or hotels, catering services, transportation services and procurement of stationery and supplies.
- Manage a procurement filing system and ensure that the minimum documentation referenced in the procurement threshold table is in each procurement file.
- Take the lead in developing the DAI’s overall strategic procurement planning, implementation framework, and review of the departmental goals and objectives to ensure they fit into each of the project’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Provide support with the procurement of goods and services that will support implementing the DAI programs for the uninterrupted service delivery.
- Develop and manage requests for information (RFI), request for proposal (RFP), and request for quotation (RFQ) that will support the management of technical procurement of goods and services for DAI.
- Estimate and establish cost parameters and budgets for purchases in line with the annual budget for each of the projects implemented by DAI
- Support the development of appropriate sourcing strategies to enable the project to obtain the best value for resources committed to project activities.
- Develop and manage relationships with vendors (including performing relevant assessment and due diligence) to ensure that procurement of goods and services are of the highest quality that meets USAID and DAI regulations.
- Make professional decisions in a fast-paced environment; Maintain records of purchases, pricing, and other essential data Review and analyze all vendors/suppliers, supply, and price options.
- Develop plans for purchasing equipment, services, and supplies and negotiate the best deal for pricing and supply contracts while ensuring that the products and supplies are high quality.
- Support the development and regular reporting on key performance indicators to demonstrate the project achievements in support of technical procurement services.
- Prepare and submit monthly funds forecast for procurement needs to the Finance Lead.
- Demonstrates maturity, dependability, integrity, and initiative to learn competencies and skills required for the job assignment.
- Contributes positively to a work environment that emphasizes teamwork, respect for differences, and accepting, and giving constructive feedback.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor, considered necessary to achieve success and which are consistent with the overall nature of the contract and work plan. Work with team members and program leads to complete duties as needed.
- Ensure that all vendors meet the terms and conditions of the purchase order/contract through active contract management. This includes written communication with the vendor to ensure on-time delivery and that goods and services meet the specifications and are of the quality and quantity requested.
- Review invoice payments from vendors and compare them to the terms of the purchase order or contract to ensure vendor invoices are accurate before submitting for payment.
- Coordinate market research in Lagos and Kano state, Nigeria, to verify availability and pricing for goods and services required by the project.
- Support project budget revisions by providing estimated pricing for goods and services.
- Note: This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in a field relevant to Business Administration, Accounting, Social Sciences, or another related field.
Skills and Experience
- 5-7 years of procurement management experience in Nigeria, including with USAID-funded programs.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in the competitive procurement of goods and services required (experience in the administration of subcontracts and purchase orders strongly preferred);
- Experience drafting and tracking an annual procurement plan.
- Proven experience maintaining a file system for procurements and ensuring that the minimum documentation referenced in the procurement threshold is in each procurement file and fully compliant with USAID regulations.
- Experience using computers and software at work and proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in developing technical proposals and managing complex procurement of goods and services.
- Previous experience working on US Government funded projects is highly preferred.
- Proactive, with a positive problem-solving approach and attention to detail.
- Strong training, communications, and personnel management skills.
- Previous supervisory experience is highly preferred.
- Ability to work independently and within a team in a challenging work environment.
- Fluency in the English language is required. Knowledge of the Hausa language is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
8th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: UAHRecruitment@dai.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: DAI will only contact candidates that are successful at this prequalification stage.