OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Contractual Agreement: Non-Staff – International PAHO Consultant
Job Posting: October 11, 2023
Closing Date: October 26, 2023, 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Primary Location: Off Site
Organization: IHM Infectious Hazard Management
Schedule: Full time
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
Objectives of the Department The objective of the Health Emergencies Department (PHE) of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) is to increase health sector resilience to emergencies and disasters. PHE assists Member States to strengthen the health sector’s capacities in prevention, risk reduction, preparedness, surveillance, response, and early recovery for emergencies and disasters related to any hazards (natural, man-made, biological, chemical, radiological and others) and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain disasters, including outbreaks, and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations. PHE is responsible for ensuring the implementation and updating of the PAHO/WHO Institutional Emergency and Disaster Response Policy.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Under the general guidance of the Chief, Infectious Hazards Management Unit, and the direct supervision of the PHE/IHM Advisor, Viral Diseases, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties: a) Provide technical assistance on laboratory algorithms and diagnostic methodologies for the early detection of emerging arboviruses in the Region.
b) Provide technical advice and follow the implementation of External Quality Assurance Programs (EQAP) for emerging viruses in the Region.
c) Conduct in-country missions to facilitate and ensure the implementation of recommended laboratory protocols and to conduct technical assessments.
d) Provide technical support for the planning and implementation of training workshops, seminars,
and direct cooperation and follow up with Member States to assist laboratory staff to address gaps in knowledge.
e) Generate and participate in the writing and development of laboratory and surveillance
guidelines for viral hemorrhagic fevers and neuroinvasive arboviruses.
f) Generate reports and follow up the implementation of genomic surveillance strategies for emerging viruses in selected countries.
g) Generate technical implementation reports and scientific articles regarding major activities
developed as part of the assigned duties.
h) Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Education requirements (Qualifications)
Essential: Masters degree on biological sciences or related field
Desirable: Doctoral degree on molecular biology, virology, or related field
Experience requirements Essential: 7 years of experience in virology and public health.
Desirable: 7 years of experience in virology and public health response to emergencies.
Languages: Excellent written, spoken and working knowledge of English and Spanish.
Location: The incumbent will be expected to perform this position’s duties and responsibilities remotely.
Compensation: USD $6,273.00
Expected contract duration: One year, from 13 October 2023 to 12 October 2024, with possibility of extension subject to performance and funding availability. This consultancy is expected to entail a full-time commitment.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and subsequently may be selected for consultancy assignments falling in this area of work or for similar requirements/tasks/deliverables. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee selection to a consultant contract. There is no commitment on either side.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this consultancy. For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile in Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are no accessible.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.