OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Contractual Agreement: Non-Staff – International PAHO Consultant
Job Posting: May 26, 2023
Closing Date: June 15, 2023, 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Primary Location: Off Site
Organization: HIM Health Emergencies Information and Risk Assessment
Schedule: Full time
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
Objectives of the Department The objective of the Health Emergencies Department (PHE) of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) is to increase health sector resilience to emergencies and disasters. PHE assists Member States to strengthen the health sector’s capacities in prevention, risk reduction, preparedness, surveillance, response, and early recovery for emergencies and disasters related to any hazards (natural, man-made, biological, chemical, radiological and others) and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain disasters, including outbreaks, and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations. PHE is responsible for ensuring the implementation and updating of the PAHO/WHO Institutional Emergency and Disaster Response Policy.
Objective of the Unit Within PHE, the Health Emergency Information & Risk Assessment (HIM) Unit focuses on data collection, verification, database management, data analysis and risk assessment. The information gathered through HIM helps in PHE’s response to natural disaster events and epidemic disease events of potential public health concern. Currently, the HIM Unit focuses its efforts in providing the most accurate data and analysis regarding the COVID-19 pandemic specifically focusing on the Americas.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Under the general supervision of the HIM Unit Chief and the direct supervision of the Advisor, Detection, Verification and Risk Assessment, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Contribute to the IHR related communication between the Regional Contact Point and the IHR National Focal Point ;
- Assist in program activities related to detection, verification, and risk assessment as needed;
- Participate in the 24/7 duty officer roster to ensure availability to receive urgent IHR related communication;
- Contribute to the daily data collection and data entry of cases and tables as requested;
- Contribute to the elaboration of situation reports as requested;
- Assist in COVID-19 data management and data entry (MIS-C, variants, ESAVI, or other specific topics as requested);
- Contribute to Event Management System (EMS) data entry and uploads of relevant information and reports;
- Participate and contribute to daily and weekly epidemiological meetings regarding public health events;
- Provide training to incoming team members in the EMS and other relevant HIM tools and platforms;
- Review the Signal App, the Epidemic Intelligence from Open Sources (EIOS) platform and other sources on signal, potential public health events and natural disasters in the Region of the Americas and draft assessment reports and other preliminary information on the initial situation and impact on the health sector;
- Perform other duties as requested.
Education requirements (Qualifications)
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in epidemiology, demography, statistics, health sciences, or a related discipline that includes quantitative methods.
Desirable: A master’s degree in epidemiology, public health, or related discipline would be an asset.
Essential: Five years of combined national and/or international experience in data analysis and databases management.
Essential: Very good knowledge of English.
Asset: A working knowledge of Spanish, French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
The incumbent will be expected to perform this position’s duties and responsibilities remotely.
Expected contract duration
One year with possibility for extension subject to performance and funding. This consultancy is expected to entail a full-time commitment.
Compensation: USD $5,000
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and subsequently may be selected for consultancy assignments falling in this area of work or for similar requirements/tasks/deliverables. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee selection to a consultant contract. There is no commitment on either side.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this consultancy. For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile in Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are no accessible.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.