Job Identification : 13629
Locations : Tunisia
Posting Date : 09/13/2023, 10:34 AM
Apply Before : 10/04/2023, 10:33 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NOC
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 2 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Fluency French, English and working knowledge of Arabic
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Operations Manager leads and guides the Country Office (CO) Operations Team and fosters collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other UN Agencies and a client-oriented approach. The Operations Manager works in close collaboration with programme and project teams in the CO, operations staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
1.) As a member of the CO management team, ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring of achievement of results.
- Establishment of collaborate arrangements with potential partners, a Client relationship Management system for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements.
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services.
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the CO, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
2.) Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team focusing on achievement of the following results: Duties
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Proper management of the contribution’s management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UNDP is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation.
- Performance of Manager Level 2 role in Atlas for voucher and Treasury transactions approvals, bank reconciliation. Approval of pending disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, bank transfers, EFT). Approval of bank reconciliations.
- Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for CO services provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of proforma invoices for UN agencies.
- Organization and oversight of CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Member of bank signatory panel.
- Transaction and stop payment approval on internet banking system.
All financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures
3.) Ensures strategic human resources management and supervision of the HR team focusing on achievement of the following results: Duties
- CO compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
- Optimal staffing of the office and projects.
- Oversight of recruitment processes in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, appropriate use of different contractual modalities, contracts management, OM performing the function of HR Manager in Atlas.
- Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems. Implementation of the Universal Access strategy on learning ensuring access of the staff to role appropriate learning activities.
4.) Ensures provision of efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team focusing on achievement of the following results: Duties:
- CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
- Elaboration of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, OM acting as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals.
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CO’s assets.
5.) Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results: Duties
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability.
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
6.) Ensures proper common services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Establishment of common services, maintenance of coordinating machinery to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Elaboration of the strategic approach for implementation of common services in line with the latest developments in common services and the best practices.
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
- People Management: UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient
manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms
Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity
Ability to prepare, support, and help individuals and teams in designing and implementing organizational change Communication
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics degree or related field in combination with 7 years of qualifying experience is accepted.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments/ 7 Years of relevant experience for bachelor’s Holders.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages
- Experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable.
- UNDP Certification programmes Prince2, Procurement, HR, Accounting and Finance is an asset
Fluency French and English and working knowledge of Arabic
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.