Title: National Communications Officer (Communications for Development)
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/031/2023
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification: National Officer Category, Grade NO-B
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, Nine months with possibility of Extension
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Media and Communications Officer, and in coordination with the Programme Support Unit (PSU), programme managers, the successful candidate will coordinate IOM Somalia’s communication for development initiatives.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of IOM Somalia´s internal and external communications strategies, in line with the Organization’s guidelines and donor requirements, that promote an accurate narrative on displacement, migration and other issues central to IOM with the media, general public, donors, the UN and other key partners.
- Collaborate with other departments and lead the development and dissemination of appropriate Communication for Development (C4D) approaches, including awareness-raising campaigns.
- In partnership with program managers, develop strong partnerships with community groups, leaders, media, and other community and civil society partners to promote programme goals through a communication for development lens.
- Engage in Feedback Loops and Audience Analysis; Regularly gather feedback on released content, analyse audience responses, and adjust content strategies based on these insights to optimize engagement and resonance with the target demographics.
- Organise research, design, pre-test and produce high-quality, culturally relevant programme communication materials.
- Support the Media and Communication Officer, in liaising with the press/media to advocate and disseminate information on emergency prevention, preparedness, recovery and response strategies and efforts.
- Contribute to developing and strengthening links with international and local media to share information and help raise the visibility of IOM operations in Somalia.
- Maintain IOM Somalia´s online presence, including its social media accounts and website, with the aim of increasing the impact of IOM Somalia´s digital outreach.
- Research and write feature stories and messages, ideally bringing in a human element from real-life experiences.
- Prepare communication and advocacy products and statements to be used for resource mobilization.
- Collaborate closely with the Programme Support Unit (PSU) for the production of situation-reports, mission updates and other public information products to update donors and partners on IOM operations in Somalia.
- Assist in enhancing IOM Somalia´s communications capacity by contributing to developing training materials and providing and evaluating training to staff members and key implementing partners in aspects of media and communications management.
- Facilitate cooperation and coordination on communications with relevant actors, including United Nations (UN) agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and relevant stakeholders, through participation in relevant inter-agency groups and working groups to encourage information flow and community engagement activities across agencies.
- Facilitate suitable gender and diversity representation in IOM communications products.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in journalism, Communications, Marketing, Development, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in digital communications and social media;
- Experience in corporate writing and editing;
- Experience with donor visibility activities;
- Experience with media liaison;
- Experience in humanitarian communications; and
- Experience working in the region and/or in an emergency setting an advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Excellent writing skills;
- High level of professionalism and ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines in a complex and fast changing environment;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Skills in graphic design, particularly using Adobe programmes an advantage;
- Skills in photography and videography, both shooting and editing an advantage; and
- Knowledge of international agencies like the UN and the humanitarian system an advantage.
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Working knowledge of Somali is desirable.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural indicators – N/A
Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and a work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
If you are interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter via email with the subject of the position title and VN number to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
From 20.10.2023 to 02.11.2023
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.