UNITED PURPOSE: JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning State Officer (MEAL)
Location: Based in Ogun, Bauchi or Jigawa States is necessary. Travel to other parts of Nigeria and internationally may be required
Reporting to: Project MEAL Officer
Responsible for: Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting.
United Purpose (UP) is an international development organisation that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world’s poorest communities. In Nigeria, UP has been working for almost two decades with local partners and rural communities to implement projects funded by international donors. Addressing areas of gender inequalities and rights abuses, improving sanitation and access to water, fostering accountability, preserving vital ecosystems, and developing sustainable development livelihoods.
In Nigeria, we partner with Federal, State and Local Governments, other civil society organisations, and communities to implement development interventions reaching thousands of rural people each year. Several funding partners currently fund the Nigeria Country Programme, including the Sanitation and Hygiene Fund (SHF – former WSSCC), the Unicef, the Welsh Government, etc.
United Purpose has been nominated SHF Primary Recipient in Nigeria for a three-year programme focused on the sanitation market in 3 states: Ogun, Bauchi and Jigawa. United Purpose is the consortium’s lead, which regroups three other organisations.
The programme’s primary participatory approach is Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) and the Market-Based Approach. The M&E of the Programme is a regular assessment process and support function for all programme and partner staff. The emphasis is on an M&E participatory approach with communities and partners. The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer will provide support in monitoring and evaluating ongoing Programme activities, outputs and outcomes in sanitation, hygiene, MHH and the market-based approach at State and LGA level. They will S=support the analysis and interpretation based on verified data to demonstrate the programme’s performance. They will take the support on all contract technical reporting. Moreover, the incumbent is expected to promote key learnings in the programme and broader sharing and learning in UP and SHF.
The project will take a market-based approach to increase access to improved sanitation, hygiene and MHH services, developing product solutions and approaches that are evidence-based and effective, to be demonstrated for scaling. It will work in ODF, and OD Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Bauchi, Jigawa and Ogun states, developing and demonstrating context-specific approaches. It will incorporate global expertise on MBS and build the capacity of local NGOs. The program will define how MBS can effectively be combined with CLTS to move households directly from OD to durable, at least basic levels of service and test how OD communities can be raised on the sanitation ladder by MBS, reducing common risks of ODF slippage.
More information about the background, aims and objectives of the SHF are found here: https://www.shfund.org/
United Purpose (UP) is seeking a full-time, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer who will contribute to implementing activities for the project. This position will support the implementation of Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) projects and is aimed at (WASH) professionals with good knowledge of WASH development issues. The initial focus of the post-holder will be to support the agreed used database to monitor the areas of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning and State and LGA and feed all reports to the overall MEAL for the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer will have the responsibility to monitor the areas of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning for the development of a sanitation market in the selected LGAs to increase access to improved sanitation, hygiene and MHH services
They will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Technical M&E lead and advice:
- Use the agreed M&E tools for measuring and reporting indicators performance; develop indicator guidance reference sheet for activity output and outcome indicators
- Provide technical support in developing baseline surveys, assessments and studies.
- Contribute to updating the log-frame and results against programme indicators at state and LGA level with more detailed input provided towards preparing annual reports.
- Use the agreed questionnaires and conduct field interviews of the various stakeholders involved in the project
- Visit project sites at LGA for monitoring and quality assurance of water point construction and repairs.
- Monitoring and data checks on rural water supply activities at LGA to ensure reporting compliance.
- Work collaboratively with other programmes to strengthen integration and cross-learning in the country programme and with Donors.
Training and supporting partners:
- Capacity building of partners and local government authorities.
- To supervise regular data collection through implementing partners at LGA and State and ensure the quality of the data by verifications and validations.
- Provide feedback to partners and staff on project performance based on data collected and findings, and lead partner staff in reviewing project plans as part of the learning and sharing process.
- Provide weekly and monthly updates reports as per the approved format, summarising the progress made in project implementation, lessons learned recommendations for improvement, and case studies at LGA
Documentation and learning:
- Manage the Program Monitoring & Evaluation and learning system at State and LGA while ensuring adequate technical capacity to enhance the system’s performance to achieve optimal program reporting.
- Targeted analysis and information gathering on the WASH sector.
- Participate in regular meetings with key stakeholders at the community/civil society/Local Government level, ensuring a common understanding of the project’s objectives and outcomes.
Other reasonable duties may be assigned to you that are consistent with the job and its level of responsibility. These will require pre-approval by your line manager.
- Preferably a Master’s degree in Monitoring and Impact Evaluation and statistical analysis using programs coupled with at least 3-6 years of experience in Monitoring and Evaluation in WASH programs, preferably with partners or sub-recipients and multi-donor setup.
- Knowledge and understanding of project monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge of the current M&E trends and especially M&E systems in development organisations and Practical experience in rural water-point maintenance and monitoring
- Experience in WASH Programming in Nigeria and familiarity with the WASH sector and key stakeholders
- Good abilities for training, mentoring, and coaching skills (supervising enumerators and field staff)
- Good technical writing skills, presentation, facilitation, abilities for synthesisProactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Must be a good team player, honest, dependable and willing to be flexible with work hours
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with the ability to speak local languages
- Gender, intercultural and interfaith sensitivity.
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- Positive outlook and stand-alone disposition.
- Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands and development of the programme.
What we offer
This position offers the opportunity to gain experience with an international NGO whilst receiving mentoring and learning on best practice global WASH approaches and issues. We provide a competitive salary and benefits package and, above all, a respectful and empowering working
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Hausa and another language is a plus
Terms and Conditions
Salary and Benefits: An attractive package dependent on the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Duration of contract: One year with a yearly renewal of contract subject to performance and continued availability of funds.
How to apply
How to apply
Send a CV and a cover letter to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
E-mail title must be the Name of the role you are applying for and preferred location (when applicable)
In the cover letter, please ensure to explain the following:
- Why you are applying for the position
- How do your skills and experience meet the person’s specification
- When you would be able to take up the position if it were offered to you
The deadline for applications is 30th June 2022. You are recommended to apply early, as applications will be assessed as they are received.Only shortlistedcandidates will be contacted.
Expected start date of the project: September 2022 (depending on the donor’s decision)
United Purpose is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against applicants on the basis of gender, religion, ethnicity, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation. United Purpose also has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.