TEAM PURPOSE: To support the delivery of Oxfam in Syria’s Country Strategy which focuses on increasing the resilience of Syrians affected by the crisis and amplifying their voices as well as to implement Oxfam in Syria’s influencing strategy.
JOB PURPOSE: To lead Oxfam’s media and communication work on Syria by creating high quality and gender sensitive media coverage of Oxfam in Syria’s key messages in key markets in close coordination with other parts of Oxfam across the world.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
We are looking for an experienced Media & Communications Advisor who has a passion for raising the voices of communities living in crisis. You will be a creative storyteller who has proven experience in managing media and communications for a large organisation in the Middle East/in a similar country context.
Technical: Leads and implements Oxfam in Syria’s media and communications strategy and action plan for 2022 – 2024.
- Leading on proactive and reactive media work e.g. press releases, media reactions, media advisories, (drafting, sign-off and pitching) backgrounding, op-eds, etc. which showcase Oxfam in Syria’s work, raise the voices of the people we work with, mitigate risk and amplify messaging.
- Create compelling, creative, and engaging visual storytelling products to show the daily realities and raise the voices of conflict-affected people, particularly women and girls in Syria.
- Work with influencing colleagues and the country team to identify and manage risk, develop reactive lines, update key messages and advise on how to use media strategically in a sensitive environment.
- Work with and provide strategic advice to the country team (Senior Management Team, influencing and program team) to identify key moments for communication and media opportunities.
- Work with colleagues across Syria to gather newsworthy content and stories,in line with Oxfam’s content gathering guidelines.
- Manage media requests from journalists and from media colleagues in Oxfam efficiently.
- Implement and manage the Oxfam in Syria social media platforms, ensuring it is regularly updated with compelling content that can be shared across the Oxfam confederation.
- Work closely with colleagues in the confederation (the OI media team, MENA regional media advisor and media colleagues across Oxfam), to identify moments for media and communication work in their markets and advise and support on products and messaging.
- Ensure donor requirements for projects are aligned with and promote the media and communication strategies
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists covering topics aligned to Oxfam’s mandate in Syria.
- Build and maintain Oxfam in Syria’s profile internally within Oxfam.
- Train and brief Oxfam spokespeople and act as a spokesperson when required.
- Monitor and evaluate media coverage generated and to draw lessons to improve coverage and quality of messaging.
- Line-manage the Media and Communications Officer, Communication Assistant and Communication Volunteer.
- Ensure protection of Oxfam’s brand, and adherence to procedures, protocols and policies, including guidelines for interviewing vulnerable people and documenting permission for use of digital images.
- Any other task as may be assigned by the line manager.
- Self-reliantly work to make decisions and respond to routine, unpredictable and complex challenges using creative and innovative solutions where appropriate, while also working in collaboration and consultation with the Syria and global teams.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- Strategic Thinking and Judgment
- Demonstratable experience working in media, either for an NGO or in journalism, in crisis-affected countries.
- Experience in writing clear, compelling media products including press releases, media reactions, opinion pieces, Q&As, talking points, key messages, case studies, factsheets/briefings etc.
- Experience in collecting human interest case studies, including photos and basic filming.
- Experience in working creatively to identify and develop new ways to use media to share Oxfam’s key messages and amplify the voices of conflict-affected Syrians.
- Experience in managing risk in sensitive situations and organisational reputation/issues management
- Experience in working with journalists and pitching media stories to top-tier outlets globally.
- Experience in managing social media channels including developing the social media content (key messaging, creating attractive and creative visuals such as infographics and staying on top of social media trends.)
- Understanding of the political situation in Syria, and humanitarian policy.
- Good analytical and conceptual skills with a strategic perspective, ability to understand and synthesize complex issues and information from different sources and present it clearly and simply to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in managing staff and supporting their development through coaching, training and an empowering management style.
- Extremely strong interpersonal and negotiating skills, enjoys building and maintaining a wide range of relationships.
- Strong organisational and planning skills with an understanding of how to plan, adjust and implement a strategy and capable of working independently.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on a clear and direct, easy to read written style and keen eye for detail.
- Ability and willingness to travel for humanitarian emergencies and into conflict zones.
- A positive, confident and outgoing attitude.
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a high-pressure environment and to prioritise and manage assignments in a timely fashion.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative team as well as remotely with global teams across different time zones and with cultural differences.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in Arabic.
- Filming and editing skills for short video packages.
- Training and technical assistance skills on media and communications to national partners.
- Knowledge of international media and different media markets around the world.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile to this link https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/20315/description