4 years with potential to renew for a second term
Posting End Date
Purpose of Job
The Managing Director, Equity will be responsible for the investment activity of the Bank in direct equity participations and investments in all types of funds (such as private equity, infrastructure, venture capital, mezzanine and debt funds); as well as overseeing the monitoring of the portfolio of the same. The Managing Director, Equity will have responsibility for ensuring a unified equity culture within the Bank through fostering commercial origination, processing, value creation, portfolio management and exits within the Banking Group.
The Managing Director will combine extensive equity investment experience and a strong commitment to the Bank’s mandate and institutional goals to create an environment conducive to operational excellence and best industry practice in the EBRD equity operations.
Based at London Headquarters, the role will report to First Vice President, Client Services Group. The Private Equity Teams, Equity Funds Team and Equity Portfolio Management Unit (EPMU) all report directly to the MD Equity.
In aligning the equity function with institutional and financial objectives, the incumbent will liaise actively with the VP Risk, the VP Finance/CFO and consult a range of stakeholders across departments. The MD Equity is a member of the Bank’s Equity Committee.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Achieve operational standards of the private equity industry, modified, as needed, to take into account the requirements of the Bank’s mandate.
- Provide strategic guidance for enhancing the origination and processing of the Bank’s equity investments, responsive to a rapidly changing environment, maintaining and increasing the relevance of EBRD’ equity offering
- Oversee the Equity Value Creation process, including adequate investor relationship management.
- Design and manage an effective strategy for executing equity exits.
- Oversee the nominee directors appointment and management process.
- Lead, guide, coach and motivate direct team members and staff reporting in matrix.
- Lead the management of the Bank’s equity investment portfolio, including on matters related to the activities and cooperation with the Internal Audit and the Evaluation Department.
- Working closely with the VP Risk, VP Finance and the MD Portfolio, take an operational view of the desirability and feasibility of active post-investment management of the equity portfolio in light of capital employed, mandate of EBRD to mobilize commercial finance, and broader risk/return issues.
- Participate, as a member, in the decision making process of the Equity Committee.
- Attend the Operations Committee, as and when required, to provide the Committee with strategic equity assessment and guidance.
- Ensure effective engagement of the Equity Group in the fair value process, and other activities under the remit of the Equity Portfolio Management Unit.
- Continue to develop appropriate initiatives to oversee and enhance the equity function within the Bank to increase its effectiveness, working with Banking management and non-Banking departments.
- Ensure that systems are in place to provide timely flow of information to the FVP, VP Risk, VP Finance and other related departments on the equity pipeline, portfolio (in co-operation with the MD Portfolio) and key investor relations.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Extensive private equity international experience, preferably in a major private equity firm, institutional investor or private equity arm of a major bank, with significant exposure to the Bank’s countries of operation and knowledge of/exposure to international financial institutions’ operational mandates.
- Understanding of the broader strategic and development priorities of EBRD, including the Bank’s role as an impact investor and a catalyst for mobilization of capital into its countries of operation and the ability to align the Equity business with this agenda
- Convincing investment track record, ideally in both direct equity and funds investments.
- Experience of listed equities, IPOs and SPOs, Privatisations, Funds
- Relevant academic background at post-graduate level or equivalent combination of academic and professional qualifications.
- Extensive equity investment skills; experience and expertise in developing, structuring, negotiating and monitoring equity investments.
- Extensive funds’ investments skills; experience and expertise in developing, structuring and monitoring funds’ investments.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans and initiatives.
- Relevant experience in leading and developing teams, with a proven record of accomplishment in performance management.
Competencies and Personal Attributes
- Results orientation, tenacity and persistence to drive the equity function at the EBRD.
- Strategic thinking: ability to formulate effective strategies that are consistent with the Bank’s requirement to continuously improve the equity functions within the Bank.
- Ability to lead, guide and coach individuals and teams in a matrix environment.
- Sound business judgement.
- Ability to develop, manage and facilitate business relationships across various external and internal stakeholders in a sensitive, multicultural environment.
- A facilitator with the ability to align interests among different parties, promoting sound business and corporate governance practices.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.