Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia – The MRC Unit The Gambia at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, Sequencing Laboratory / Platform
Location: Fajara, Gambia
Department: Laboratory Services
- We are looking for an experienced professional to lead the Sequencing Laboratory at Fajara.
- The post-holder will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Sequencing Laboratory and supervision of staff.
- S/he will be responsible for strengthening core platform capabilities to support research through conducting existing assays to a unified standard, developing standardised protocols, training members of the laboratory and developing new tools & methods in sequencing and other molecular analysis to meet the needs of Research Projects.
- M.Sc in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other Biomedical Sciences from an accredited University with significant experience in Molecular biology research.
- Substantial experience of active work in a research laboratory environment.
- 5 years experience
- A good understanding of the latest applications and technologies pertaining to human genomic research including Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and emerging molecular biology techniques, e.g. whole genome sequencing and target amplicon for NGS.
- Demonstrated experience in current Molecular biology technologies including variations of nucleic acid extraction, amplification and detection techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge in assay development and optimization.
- Knowledge or experience of Real-Time platform, setup and analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge in molecular laboratory diagnostics of Sars-CoV-2 and other infectious pathogens.
- Experience managing a team of at least four staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge and training in GCLP implementation and ISO15189 accreditation quality standards.
- Evidence of previous publications in the area of molecular biology techniques and sequencing.
- Experience in setting up basic bioinformatics analysis and use of softwares for sequence analysis.
- Ability to supervise staff, ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
- Experience in using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
- Excellent knowledge of NGS technical processes.
- Experience working in Bio-safety level-3 facility.
- An understanding or knowledge of bioinformatics approaches to sequence analysis, data mining and the use of genomic database resources.
- Training in quality management systems and processes in research and/or research laboratory environments.
Condition of Service and Salary
- The appointment is for 3 years initially and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2, 32 Points of MRCG at LSHTM’s payscale at a minimum net monthly salary of 72, 307 Dalasis. This converts to a take home pay of $1,440 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi / USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD figure is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff, the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
Application Closing Date
30th June 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below. Completed Application Forms and relevant documents should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to Download Application Form (MS Word)
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
- MRCG at the LSHTM is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.