The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) Division provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The Maintenance Assistant will assist the Maintenance Supervisor in carrying out office refurbishments, the effective implementation of the maintenance work plan and all other general services provided by the Facilities team. This role will also ensure the maintenance of all SPC properties and facilities is secure, functional, and conducted in an OHS compliant manner at all times.
The key responsibilities of the role include: Office space refurbishment and special projects
- Assist the team to carry out office space refurbishment and special maintenance projects to ensure timely completion of projects
- Assist in moving, carrying out fitting and removal of furniture or any additional requests as required
- Assist in the arrangement of storage for items as required
- Assist the team to carry out routine and general maintenance of the SPC properties in accordance with the maintenance work plan
- Assist in upkeep of the tools and machinery used by the maintenance team
- Assist in the upkeep and maintaining the campus environment including cleaning of building, footpaths and drains, lawns, and gardens
Increased activity to support programmes/divisions
- Support of maintenance necessary work within programme/ divisions and in cases of additional activities
Assist during official functions and meetings
- Assist in set up, preparation, set down and any other Maintenance required tasks during functions and meetings, including logistics
- Assist in staff requests to maintenance
- Assist in other duties as and when required
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Relevant TVET building trades qualification related to construction and maintenance and/or relevant work experience with 4-5 years of experience in similar work (construction, building maintenance)
- Basic knowledge of construction plans and architectural drawings
- Control of the use and all techniques used for maintenance of the various structures
- Good knowledge of the different building bodies
- Good organizational skills
- Good English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 3 years – subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – The Maintenance Assistant is a Band 3 position in SPC’s 2023 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of FJD 1,072-1,341 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 14 June 2023 at 11:59pm (Fiji time)
Job Reference: MC000019
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
Type: Contract – Local
Reference ID: MC000019
Date Posted: 31/05/2023