WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you an Emergency Emergency Preparedness and Response Officer interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join a global organization investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted by Monday, July 4, 2022 (10:59 PM CET)
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP’s values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse, and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, coaching, mentorship, and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across the various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
The fast-approaching hurricane season, ripple effects of the Ukraine crisis driving food and fuel costs and reducing access to fertilizer, increasing violence in Colombia and Haiti, and growing mixed migration crisis requires a reinforced WFP preparedness capacity at the Regional Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean (RBP) to support country offices, inter-agency mechanisms, and governments.
The Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) unit works with many cross-functional units at RBP and the Countries in the Region. The demands of the current context require additional support to lead the unit to achieve the priorities established in the workplan and to support the strategic positioning of WFP in preparedness and emergency response in the region.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Develop the EPR Regional strategy and lead the regional implementation.
- Represent the unit in cross-functional management meetings to ensure that EPR is streamlined in all functional areas and help strengthen integrated work across the functional areas to achieve preparedness objectives (including The Hurricane Preparedness Season Priority Action Plan, developed with COs and RBP);
- Identify strategic opportunities to enhance the preparedness strategy in the region (shifting away from “tick-the-box checklists”), adapted to the context of the region
- Identify emerging risks (political, social, economic) and liaise with counterparts in Headquarters (HQ), RBP and CO to develop deep-dive analysis to inform heightened preparedness and bring visibility;
- Liaise with HQ on EPR related matters: Corporate Alert Systems, Hunger Hotspots, Global Meetings on Emergency;
- Engage actively with corporate processes to ensure the perspective of RBP is accurately captured – and support the sensitization of the Countries and RBP units on new emergency circulars, directives, processes, and solutions;
- Coordinate RBP emergency mechanisms w/ designated functional areas including the crisis management team under RBP management, Regional Operational Taskforces, RBP emergency protocols, business processes, regional rosters, etc
- Provide strategic direction and operational guidance to support RB and CO management in implementing WFP emergency response(s) in the region, including operational design, implementation, and enabling access to regional and corporate support
- Engage in inter-agency coordination fora at the regional level and support CO management in inter-agency engagements
- Other: you would be on stand-by to deploy as frontline support to enable effective emergency preparedness and response actions, including in an Emergency Coordination / Operations function.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in political science, law, history, international relations, anthropology or a related field or First University degree with additional years of experience.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional work experience in implementation, coordination and/or management of emergency preparedness response.
- Experience working with International NGOs or a UN humanitarian agency in the field (country or sub-office experience).
- Fluency (Level C) in the English and Spanish languages.
- Fluency (Level C) in the French language is desirable.
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Ability to provide holistic cross-functional guidance and support to the field in emergency preparedness and response.
- Ability to operate with minimal guidance and oversight
- Ability to identify opportunities to continuously improve support to the field
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to lead a team and build effective working relationships with persons of many national and cultural backgrounds
- General knowledge of humanitarian principles, UN rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Gained direct experience of different programme approaches;
- Experience working with government or international agencies and gained policy experience;
- Experience Leading team in strategic discussions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Mobility is and continues to be, a core contractual requirement in WFP. The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (http://icsc.un.org) including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, visa, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance.
The selected candidate will be required to relocate to Panama City, Panama to take up this assignment; with potential duty travel.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete, and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable).
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application.
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply
Click on this link to apply: https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=166854&company=C0000168410P