Job Identification : 14012
Locations : Kyiv, Ukraine
Posting Date : 10/06/2023, 08:24 AM
Apply Before : 10/30/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNOCHA
Grade : G6
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : High School certificate – 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English Ukrainian
Desired Languages : Russian
UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UN does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The position is located in the Operations and Advocacy Division (OAD), in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). OCHA is part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
This position-specific job opening is being published for the position of Information Management Associate in Kyiv (the duty station may be subject to change, as the operational situation in the country evolves), Ukraine. Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Head of Office, OCHA Ukraine, the incumbent reports to the Head of the Information Management Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Information Management Associate will be responsible for the following duties: Information Management
- Supports the coordination of the information management working group in accordance with IASC guidance to facilitate humanitarian information exchange and the promotion of data and information standards;
- Provides training and expertise on the use and development of information management tools and platforms to OCHA staff and humanitarian partners;
- Advocates for the use of data standards and common platforms, and for the open exchange of information.
- Supports the design, development and manages the content of databases, spreadsheets and other data tools; documents and ensures the quality of high-value humanitarian data for accuracy, consistency and comparability; supports the consolidation of operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis;
- Supports the evaluation and analysis of location specific datasets through meaningful statistical techniques; understands, documents and ensures the quality of high-value humanitarian data for accuracy, consistency and comparability. Supports assessment and needs analysis activities, including humanitarian needs overviews, secondary data reviews, preliminary scenario definitions and multi-cluster initial rapid assessments; supports the management of platforms and tools that support data collection and analysis such as KoBo Toolbox and Open Data Kit (ODK);
- Assists with the maintenance of spatial baseline and operational datasets in accordance with relevant standards and guidance; maintains a repository of spatial data and ensure that the data are documented and accessible to all humanitarian partners through local and/or online services.
- Assists in the production and updating of information products such as reports, charts and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline;
- Develops advocacy materials including posters, presentations and other visual materials;
- Supports the production and updating of high-quality map products and online services.
- Manages content on relevant web platforms, undertakes quality control for the platform and ensures content is current, comprehensive and follows relevant metadata standards;
- Works with external counterparts on related web platforms such as agency and cluster websites and OCHA managed platforms to facilitate cross-site search and interoperability.
Performs other related duties, as required.
- Knowledge of the use of information management in humanitarian response;
- Ability to analyze and articulate the information management requirements of complex situations requiring a coordinated response between disparate actors;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to use sound judgment to ensure the effective and timely completion of complex tasks;
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters).
- Excellent communication and training (spoken and written) skills including the ability to convey complex information management concepts and recommendations to staff at all levels, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style that can be readily understood by non-information management practitioners.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Designs solutions and bases recommendations on the principles of usability;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients’ informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education is required. University degree in Information Management / Information Systems, Computer Science or any other related to the post description field is desired, but not a requirement.
- 6 years (with secondary education) or 3 years (with Bachelor degree) of progressively responsible experience in information management, information systems, web management, data management, geographic information systems and mapping, data visualization, or other related area, is required;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Power BI, and proficiency in the use of GIS software and Adobe products is desirable;
- Experience managing information in disaster response or complex emergencies is desirable;
- Relevant experience within the UN system or an international organization is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian, (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Russian is desirable
This is a national position. Only Ukrainian nationals are eligible to apply for this position
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.