The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement, and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors, and United Nations organizations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical, and management knowledge they need, where they need it.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation, and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social, and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
About UNOPS in Georgia
UNOPS Georgia was established in mid-2018 to support, develop and oversee UNOPS’s growing portfolio in the country. The office currently provides implementation services to several projects where UNOPS works closely with development partners and the Government of Georgia, focusing on education, security, and healthcare sectors.
UNOPS Georgia is focused on providing efficient and cost-effective implementation services on behalf of all our partners to support the Government of Georgia achieve its national priorities through citizen-oriented programmes and projects. The UNOPS Georgia office operates under the operational support of the Austrian Multi-Country Office (AUMCO).
The UNOPS office is based in Tbilisi, Georgia with all project sites currently in Tbilisi.
Project background The ‘Support to Advancing Technical Capacities for Ensuring Human Security’ Project is part of a wider initiative by the European Union (EU) for the Security Sector in Georgia known as “EU4 Security, Accountability and Fight against Crime (SAFE) in Georgia”. The overall SAFE programme will contribute to increased security of Georgian citizens by strengthening good governance and the rule of law in Georgia, through support provided to the prevention and fight against crime; hybrid and emerging threats; border management; civil protection and crisis management; and oversight of the security sector. The overall objective of the “Support to Advancing Technical Capacities for Ensuring Human Security” component is to contribute to the efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability of institutions in the security sector. The project identifies specific needs and procures cutting-edge technology/equipment and provides technical assistance to enhance institutional and operational capacities of designated security sector actors, law enforcement agencies, and oversight institutions.
The purpose of the role is to provide technical knowledge and subject matter expertise in the procurement of IT infrastructure, software and hardware (Network traffic analytics solutions, Software, and hardware for cybersecurity, server infrastructure, other network and law enforcement related software) related products, services; Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Project Manager, the ICT Associate works closely with the Procurement Team and in close cooperation with internal and external stakeholders; analyses; monitors and understands market trends and develops appropriate procurement strategies that are aligned with UNOPS business needs.
The following functional responsibilities are expected:
- ICT client services, management and administration
- Effective advice on all project implementation activities involving ICT
- Support the project in drafting and reviewing terms of references and technical specifications of the hardware and software required for IT services
- In close collaboration with the supervisor and procurement associate, provide inputs on appropriate
- IT procurement product specifications, tender documents, technical evaluation criteria and
- participate in the technical evaluation of tenders as a technical expert
- Evaluate and recommend potential supply sources, alternate solutions and establishment and maintenance of a roster of potential suppliers.
- Support the project in the hardware and software procurement process, including updating of the procurement program where necessary
- Assist with cost estimations and reasonableness of costs for the required goods/services
- Ensure compliance by team members with existing policies and best practice.2. Network administration
- Network administration Ensures efficient network administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- A stable and responsive network environment based on daily monitoring of the network connection.
- Ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability of UNOPS ICT systems and UNOPS information assets.
- Maintenance of IT equipment, hardware, software, network and internet connectivity to ensure stable operation aligned with the needs of the project and with UNOPS quality standards
- Support in finalizing needs assessment and analysis document in Network traffic analytics solutions, Software and hardware for cybersecurity, server infrastructure, other network and law enforcement related software
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices on emerging technologies and utilize productively.
- Participates, organizes and delivers trainings for the operations/ projects staff in ICT services.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities relevant to the functions of an IT expert.
Education and skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Information technology, Computer science, Electrical engineering, or other STEM education field is highly desirable and may replace some of the required number of years of experience.
- Relevant certification in Network Security is a distinct advantage.
- Relevant certification in IT Security is a distinct advantage.
General professional experience
- A minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible professional experience in either Network
- Security, Implementation of large-scale network and/or IT infrastructure projects or other related areas of work is required
- Experience in IT Security and/or IT Procurement is required.
- Experience as an IT management (CTO, etc.) of medium/large national and/or international public or corporate organization is an advantage.
- Previous experience of working on ICT systems related to the state security field is an advantage.
Language Requirements Fluency in Georgian and English languages (written and spoken) is required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: LICA06/ICSC-6 Contract duration: Retainer (Up to 100 days spread across 12 months)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to apply