The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Access Safety & Security Officer (HASSO)
Reference ID: req28051
Location: Monguno, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Sector: Safety & Security
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives.
- Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
- At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
- IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014 and Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015.
- IRC has ECHO, OFDA, and Gates funds to respond to humanitarian, nutrition, GBV, and WASH activities. In late 2014 and early 2015, IRC received additional funds from SV, SIDA, USAID, and UNICEF to carry out education, child protection, general protection, emergency food distributions, shelter support, and NFI distributions to newly displaced IDPs.
- In late 2015 into early 2016, IRC received Swiss and UNHCR funds for additional emergency response humanitarian-focused programming in NE Nigeria. In July 2016, a nutritional and food security crisis emerged in Borno state and IRC began a rapid scale up of its program intervention in that area including startup of programming outside the state capital, Maiduguri.
- IRC anticipates continued expansion beyond Maiduguri which requires additional security monitoring and management to ensure that IRC teams remain safe as they go into newly accessible areas of NE Nigeria.
Scope of Work
- Under the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Access Safety and Security Manager (HASSM) & the Senior Area Manager, the Humanitarian Access Safety & Security Officer (HASSO) should assist HASSC to maintain, improve and expand principled humanitarian access to and by conflict-affected populations in Borno state through assisting the implementation of humanitarian access and security management plans in compliance with IRC’s strategy and in line with humanitarian principles, humanitarian needs, Duty of Care and Gender Equality principles.
- The post holder will provide expert advice to all IRC entities based in Monguno LGA, the shared services unit, to assist HASSM to identify changes and trends in the humanitarian access and security environment in the areas of operations and will ensure that adequate and up-to-date policies and procedures are in place and ensure people have the information they need to manage operations, to identify issues, and to recommend and implement measures to reduce them.
Humanitarian Access Management:
- Assist HASSM to develop and implement humanitarian access strategies and approaches tailored to local contexts in field sites throughout his areas of operations in Monguno LGA.
- Work to ensure that IRC, its mission, and work in the areas of operations is known and accepted.
- Work to encourage stakeholders to work with the IRC in ensuring that staff and programs are safe and allowed to continue humanitarian activities in areas of operations in Monguno LGA.
- Assist HASSM to provide technical input and advice in assessments to consider new IRC programs in new geographic areas, and regular assessment reviews for existing locations.
- Assist in the continued development of Humanitarian Access Safety and Security teams and activities across areas of operations in Monguno LGA.
- Assist HASSM to oversee and advise on the implementation and review of tailored acceptance strategies.
- Enhance IRC image and acceptance within the community and amongst stakeholders by providing guidance on inclusive visibility strategies.
- Work with appropriate IRC units, including HR, to ensure timely and appropriate follow-up to violations of IRC’s Code of Conduct, in addition to operational breaches to humanitarian principles.
Safety and Security Risk Management:
- Assist HASSM to organize monthly Security Focal Group (SFG) Meeting.
- Work with HASSM to develop, consolidate and implement operating procedures and contingency plans.
- Assist HASSM to develop and maintain a network of IRC Security Focal Points at each field office and program sites enhancing gender balance.
- Maintain record of security trainings for staff.
- Ensure replenishment of hibernation kit, first aid kit.
- Update security incident database regularly.
- Work closely with HASSM to conduct risk assessments of contracted and prospective offices and residences.
Liaison, Networking, Analysis:
- Assist the HASSM to establish and maintain relations and networks in MMC, Jere, Magumeri, Mafa, Konduga to facilitate understanding and influences on humanitarian access environment.
- Assist the HASSM to develop and maintain contact lists, stakeholder analyses and humanitarian access profiles in area of responsibility
- Assist HASSM on day-to-day operations related to humanitarian access and liaison with authorities and other entities for administrative and substantive staff, program and organizational needs.
Context Understanding and Reporting:
- Monitor open sources to collect, compile and report information including incidents and trends pertinent to humanitarian access in area of responsibility in Monguno LGA.
- Work closely with IRC field management teams to assist HASSM to ensure all incidents are followed up with an official written report.
- Assist HASSM to monitor the operating environment, identify new threats, assess IRC vulnerabilities and recommend possible responses.
- Contribute to local-level conflict sensitivity analysis and macro- level analysis of trends within Monguno LGA.
Training and Capacity Building:
- Assist HASSM to build up the capacity, awareness and preparedness of staff to deal with security-related risks, threats and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular trainings/ briefings to national and international staff and IRC visitors when deemed necessary.
- Render administrative support to HASSM in providing regular trainings for IRC staff on security preparedness, prevention and response. Training(s) may include SOPs; Contingency Plans (CPs); Security Management; Incident Reporting; Prevention and Response Mechanisms; and Communications.
Key Working Relationships:
- Reports to: Senior Area Manager/Humanitarian Access Safety and Security Manager.
- Supervises: None,
- Other relationships: FC, SAM, Field and support operations and programs teams, local authorities, and NGO counterparts.
- A University Degree or Higher National Diploma in Security Management/Disaster Management/Military Science/social sciences/ public administration/ International relations or a field related to humanitarian work or risk management.
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and internet)
- Competency in using and maintaining field-based communications systems (HF, VHF radios and Satellite phones).
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of local north east language is highly desired.
- Training in First Aid and Fire Safety.
- Competent report writing skills.
- Disaster management and response training.
- Experience in the security Outfit will be an added advantage
- 1 – 2 years’ security-related experience with UN/INGOs operating in the North East Nigeria either in safety and security or logistics.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in security related subjects, threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational physical security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge will be required as proof.
- Proven experience of working effectively in complex security environments and situations.
- Experience in developing safety related technical tools, guidelines, and systems
- Ability to work closely, professionally, and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
- Sound judgment and the ability to under minimal supervision
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and planning skills
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria.
- Flexibility and ability to work long hours.
- The positions is located in Monguno Base Office and locals are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Female Candidates are equally encouraged to apply.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.