Head of MED Data Engineering and Deputy Head of MED IT
Office location: Basel
Department: Monetary & Economic Department
Unit: MED IT
Service: Employment – Duration: 3 years
Contract type: Fixed-term
Application Deadline: 23/05/2023
The Bank for International Settlements, BIS is hiring for the position of Head of MED Data Engineering and Deputy Head of MED IT (Monetary and Economic Department).
Purpose of the job:
- Ensure effective management of the MED Data Engineering team.
- Deputise for the Head of MED IT.
- Support the Bank’s Monetary and Economic Department (MED) in the effective provisioning, development and use of business applications.
- Analyse business processes and specify related IT requirements, taking into consideration the broader context of MED activities and strategy.
- Contribute to defining and implementing the IT strategy and architecture for MED statistical applications, with a particular focus on SDMX-based systems and data exchanges.
- Manage IT products, projects, and programs and assume related budget responsibility.
- Act as primary or backup support for MED’s statistical applications.
- Line management responsibilities and Deputy Head
Leads and motivates MED Data Engineering staff to achieve objectives directly and through the project teams they are leading. Ensures MED Data Engineering has appropriate staffing, staff development and backups, including the adequate mix of staff’s business and technical skills. Ensures MED Data Engineering adheres with internal policies, administrative processes and security guidelines. Deputises for the Head of MED IT in all matters and represents MED IT in management meetings and committees. Contributes to the budgeting, preparation of the IT work plan and IT project steering.
2. MED IT Business Analysis, System Development & Maintenance
Undertakes analysis of business processes and documents business requirements in good coordination to address MED user needs. Develops bespoke MED business applications, interfaces and web-based services with a particular focus on applications for statistical data processing, storage and dissemination. Ensures that the Bank’s standard for system documentation, version control, change management, testing and backup/ recovery are applied appropriately to MED IT system development. Administrates related development environments.
Utilises specialised business/institutional knowledge and technical skills to support end users in MED in the development and maintenance of business applications. Provides production support for business applications within MED. Ensures that MED IT systems are stable, reliable, appropriately documented and in line with BIS rules regarding IT and its related controls.
4. 1st Line of Defence (1LOD)
Within the assigned domain of responsibility, eg MED IT product or budget management, ensures the effective execution/implementation of the 1LOD policy and procedures. Proactively keeps up date on 1LOD matters and supports the Line Manager in identifying areas of related improvements.
5. MED IT Strategy
Contributes to the selection, specification, implementation, system testing and operation of IT systems to support MED activities and assists the line manager in developing MED’s IT strategy. Informs the line manager of major technology trends relevant to MED’s various business areas.
6. Project Management and Budget Responsibility
Manages implementation projects / programs and contributes to the reporting to steering committees. Ensures efficient and effective project management, including the management of resources within the area of responsibility, in collaboration with line manager.
7. Co-ordination / Communication
Maintains overview of their broad technological expertise, including market trends, or changing business needs of MED. Communicates with colleagues and customers to identify problems and proposes solutions. Coach/supervise junior staff. Represents MED in Bank-wide IT projects / committees.
8. MED processes
Develops a good understanding of MED’s business activities and IT needs.
9. Liaison with IMS, Corporate Security and External Relationships
Ensures adequate interaction with the relevant groups in IMS and Corporate Security with regard to system design, integration, standards and change management. Develops and maintains good relationships with peers of IT service providers, consultants, central banks, and other institutions. Represents the BIS in external events.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Graduate degree, preferably in computer science or another IT-related technical field.
- Relevant experience in business analysis and application development.
- Knowledge and experience with SW development tools and languages, eg C#, Python, Java, JS.
- Understanding of Big data technologies (Hadoop stack) would be an advantage.
- A vision for the line of business combined with personal initiative.
- Interest and experience in leading and developing highly-qualified staff.
- Experience with software development and testing methodologies and tools, in particular agile methodologies.
- Experience with data modelling, ETL and data dissemination solutions.
- Ability to act as an interface between application users and application developers.
- Experience in designing and running test plans to ensure software quality an advantage.
- High degree of flexibility and willingness to tackle new tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good team worker, multicultural sensitivity, proven client orientation.
- Proficient written and oral English.
Who we are:
The Bank for International Settlements is a diverse and inclusive organisation with colleagues from over 60 countries. By joining our team, you will work in a unique, highly rewarding and international work environment. We truly value diversity and inclusion and want to reflect the world we serve. We want the best people to work for us in an inclusive environment so the applications are welcomed from all qualified candidates. We value equality and diversity in all its forms and one way we support diversity and inclusion is through our staff-run networks. You can discover more about diversity and inclusion at the BIS here .
What we offer:
In return, we offer a competitive compensation package, including a comprehensive set of expat and relocation benefits and allowances. In addition, thanks to our status as an international organization, we are able to hire globally and open to receive applications from candidates of all nationalities and located anywhere in the world.