WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you a seasoned Finance and Administration professional interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join a global organisation investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, 9 August 2023 (11:59 PM CET).
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP’s values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: UN World Food Programme (WFP) and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of trainings, accreditation, coaching, mentorship and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
ARC Agency was established as a Specialized Agency of the African Union (AU) to help its member countries improve their capacities to better plan, prepare and respond to extreme weather events and natural disasters, thereby protecting the food security of their vulnerable populations.
ARC Agency counts 35 African Union countries as its members and is supervised by a ministerial level Governing Board elected by its Conference of the Parties. Initially during the ARC design and establishment phase, ARC was managed by the World Food Programme (WFP) under a Memorandum of Understanding with the African Union. After becoming a Specialized Agency of the African Union (AU), WFP continues to provide administrative services support to ARC Agency through an Administrative Service Agreement (ASA), which will remain in force until 31 August 2024. Currently WFP financial and HR rules and regulation apply. ARC Headquarters is currently based in Johannesburg, South Africa, but is expected to be relocated to Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. The position will be initially based in Johannesburg, South Africa, and expected to relocate to Abidjan within contract period. The selected candidate will be expected to relocate accordingly.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Incumbent would be responsible to manage Corporate Services Unit which includes Finance, Administration, HR, IT and Security Teams, in line with ARC strategies and policies, in order to ensure transparent and efficient utilization of ARC’s financial resources and identify areas for savings in current financial or business processes.
- Drive the development of the finance and resource management strategy, providing input based on the operational context and priorities of business partners, within ARC.
- Ensure transparent and efficient utilization of ARC’s financial resources and identify areas for savings in financial business processes.
- Provide technical advice, guidance on the design and implementation of financial policies and procedures. Identify, recommend and oversee changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations, minimise risk, and ensure services are aligned with business needs and objectives.
- Carry out regular visits to Field Offices as appropriate to review operational application of policies and procedures, and share findings, issues and proposed actions with management and business partners.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and support to ARC teams on the design and implementation of financial policies and procedures, particularly with complex financial, accounting, and budgetary issues.
- Ensure that bank reconciliation, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures are performed regularly and in accordance.
- Oversee accurate financial reporting and analyses in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) including budgeting, key financial performance statistics and management information reports, ensuring accuracy, deadlines and compliance with accounting processes and corporate governance requirements. Manage and prepare monthly financial reports and the yearly consolidated ARC Financial Report. Ensures that financial reports are timely sent to all Donor Partners in line with the contractual obligations.
- Take a strategic view of resource and financial management, providing information and advice to managers and stakeholders at all levels, and assurance of value for money and oversight of risks and weaknesses operations, as well as lead the successful administrative and physical relocation of ARC Headquarters from South Africa to Cote d’Ivoire expected in 2023.
- Oversee of financial and accounting matters which includes managing various trust funds and liaising with ARC and WFP senior management, donor relations, finance, contribution management, treasury and external donors on processing of donor contracts and programming of funds, maintaining correct levels of funding; (ii) facility and asset management in collaboration with WFP authorities (including office space, security, IT, and mail); (iii) preparation, coordination and management of budget-related activities in line with strategic planning and overall resource management.
- Lead the annual budget process and present to the ARC Finance and Audit Committee, and review budget plans and oversee ongoing project performance against budget, ensuring adherence to guidance and policies, and providing in-depth analysis and advice to make optimal use of resources.
- Oversee and provide strategic recommendations on administrative services, advising on procedures and policies to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to ARC staff.
- Where necessary, oversee and provide strategic recommendations on human resource functions related to staff benefits, recruitment of local staff, and training.
- Identify, recommend and oversee changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations, minimise risk, and ensure services are aligned with business needs and objectives.
- Ensure the continuous delivery of best practice financial controls and insight into ARC performance, overseeing periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
- Drive innovative financial solutions to achieve programmatic goals, develop and implement improvements to financial policies, systems and procedures in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations, minimise risk, and align services with business objectives.
- Lead, motivate and coach a large team of finance and administrative professionals and general service staff to enable continued development and high performance.
- Represent WFP at external meetings and events with other UN agencies, banks and other financial institutions, or other partners and entities as required.
- Take responsibility for an equitable and inclusive workplace which incorporates all dimensions of the ARC diversity and inclusion framework.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance regarding early warning, risk analysis and contingency planning. Ensure that management of risks is monitored periodically and report on any action taken.
- Oversee, guidance and lead operational security requirements, security assessments and plans for ARC offices to strengthen the capacity within security management and crisis readiness and preparedness, contributing to the development of country strategy, policies and planning. Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts and external partners to align security activities with wider programmes.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional two years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
At least eleven (11) years of progressively responsible professional experience in a business management related area in both the private sector and international development institutions, including financial operations, at the international level. Experience must include people management responsibilities at a senior level.
Fluency (level C) in the English language.
Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (a WFP working language). Fluency in French would be preferred.
MORE ABOUT YOU
- You have developed and managed diverse teams sitting in multiple regional locations.
- You have supported and influenced directors and managers on financial planning and resource management issues and developed effective financial management tools to empower managers in the comprehensive implementation of the organisation’s Programme of Work.
- You have managed a large, complex operation, international (multi-location) including managing both human and financial resources.
- Good knowledge of WFP administrative policies and procedures especially in the areas of Finance and Administration would be an asset.
- Experience with the WFP financial system WINGS would be an asset.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed term 2 years (renewable) non-rotational contract.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (http://icsc.un.org) including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, visa, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance.
ARC Headquarters is currently based in Johannesburg, South Africa, but is expected to be relocated to Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. The position will be initially based in Johannesburg, South Africa, and expected to relocate to Abidjan within contract period. The selected candidate will be expected to relocate accordingly.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable)
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.