Head of Data Engineering and Information Management II Platforms
Job #: req23070
Sector: Information Technology
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 6/22/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC is seeking a sharp, highly motivated Head of Data Engineering and Platforms who is excited to play a major role in our data platform, and engineering evolution. We are looking for a product-focused, results-oriented who thrives in a collaborative, team-focused culture. This person will report to the CIO of IFC and will oversee a data engineering and platform team dedicated to building and upgrading the core data platform to deliver greater levels of abstraction and self-service and will foster value creation from the use of the organization’s data assets.
As a Head of Data Engineering, you will:
- Lead, develop, and grow high-performing data engineering and data analysts to design, build, and maintain data infrastructure, platforms, and data management processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather business requirements and ensure that data solutions meet their needs.
- Take ownership of the team’s deliverables and ensure scalable, highly available products that delight our users are shipped.
- Designing, developing, and optimizing data warehouses, with flexible and scalable data architecture, to support business users
- Design strategies and programs to collect, store, analyze, and model data from internal/external sources. Maintain awareness and understanding of market data sets and associated abilities to ingest and integrate.
- Drive the development and implementation of data design methods, data structures, and modeling standards.
- Stay up to date with new data technologies and industry best practices and advise the organization on how to best leverage these technologies to improve data infrastructure and data engineering processes.
- Contribute to IFC’s technical vision.
- Preferably 8+ years of hands-on data engineering and/or software development experience, with at least 5+ years of leadership role
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong partnerships and drive processes across organizations, e.g. to manage the creation, processing, and use of instrumentation to enable using data impactfully in developing products
- Deep experience in architecture, engineering, data products, and advanced analytics initiatives (AI/ML)
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to influence across all levels of an organization (without formal authority.
- Proficiency with SQL and NoSQL databases, data warehousing concepts, and cloudbased analytics databases (e.g Azure), SQL/NoSQL DBs, Power BI/Tableau, Azure, Python, R, Spark, etc.
- Highly desirable: experience in Financial Services experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects while working independently and in teams of all sizes with representatives from a diverse set of technical backgrounds
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent;
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.