Job Identification : 13540
Rentals : Congo-Brazzaville
Posting Date : 07/09/2023, 12:10 PM
Apply Before : 09/22/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NOC
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Governance
Office : Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year ( s ) experience
Other Criteria : University degree at Master level or equivalent in public administration, political, legal or other similar fields
Required Languages : Perfect mastery of the French; Good knowledge of English
Mobility required / no mobility
no mobility required
UNDP is committed to recruiting diverse staff in terms of gender, nationality and culture. We also encourage people from ethnic minorities, indigenous or disabled communities to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and / or abuse, or any form of harassment, including sexual harassment, and / or all forms of discrimination. All applicants / selected will therefore have to undergo rigorous checks relating to the references provided and their background.
II. Background and Organizational Context
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the/the Governance and Resilience Program Specialist performs the functions of advising management on all matters relating to the governance sector. As such, he / she is responsible for managing the program in the sector, analyzes trends and changes taking place in the sector and proposes appropriate solutions, ensuring alignment with national priorities and strategic frameworks of the UNS and UNDP.
III. Purpose position
The ( the ) Specialist Governance and Resilience Program provides leadership in the formulation, management and evaluation of program activities under his unit and responsibility.
In addition, he / she performs the functions of head of the unit, coordinates and contributes substantially to the implementation of projects supported by the UNDP in the sector. To this end, he / she supervises the unit team.
He / she contributes in the mobilization of resources and in the construction of partnerships and alliances with all stakeholders i.e. external and national partners.
He / she acts as an interface between the national part and the UNDP on governance issues and works in close collaboration with colleagues from other programmatic and operational units, projects, other agencies of the United Nations system, development partners as well as the private sector and civil society engaged in supporting the Government in the governance sector.
Finally, he / she participates in knowledge development and management efforts through the supervision of staff under his supervision and the sharing of information.
IV. Main tasks and responsibilities
In this section list up to five primary functions / accounts of the position ( Typically one sentence each ) and examples of duties that must be performed to successfully accomplish key responsibilities.
As a member of the country office management team, substantial participation and contribution to the strategic direction of UNDP interventions:
Based on in-depth analyzes and research on the socio-political and economic situation of the country :
- Provides substantial contributions in the area of good governance, for the formulation of the common country assessment ( CCA ) and strategic documents such as the UNDAF, the CPD, the CPAP, PTA and other relevant documents ;
- Advise Management, identify and develop operational projects and other interventions in the governance sector ;
- Contributes to the development of policies, strategies and institutions to meet the needs of the country ;
- Develop notes and activity and project sheets that would feed into UNDP programming documents and/or the SNU and which could be present to international and national donors in the context of resource mobilization and strategic partnerships ;
- Contributes in the operationalization of the UNDAF and the CPD in collaboration with the main partners and agencies of the SNU ;
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies within the framework of the unit portfolio and their implementation in the office ;
- Ensure the effective implementation of results-based management through the definition of development targets in the area of governance, taking into account the priorities of UNDP and of the country and sets up and implements a monitoring and evaluation system for the implementation of activities to obtain results ;
- Contributes to the work of sectoral and thematic groups within its portfolio both at the level of the SNU, the national counterpart and external partners ;
- Ensures effective programming for gender equality ;
- Contributes to the achievement of results related to gender equality in all projects and programs in the governance portfolio.
Management and implementation of the governance program :
- Apply and effectively apply the tools of results-based management, establishment of management targets and monitoring of the achievement of results ;
- Contributes in the design and formulation of the office program in the area of its responsibility, translating priorities into interventions in the field. Coordination of the implementation of the program with the implementing agencies. He / she is responsible for finalizing the corresponding documents and presenting them to the committee if necessary ;
- Strategic control of planning, budget preparation, implementation and monitoring of projects, tracking the use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures. The Head of Unit acts as a Level 2 Manager in ATLAS for the approval of transactions in the context of project implementation, if authorized by Management ;
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impacts of the program and evaluation ;
- Regular monitoring and analysis of the program environment, timely readjustment if necessary
- Supports team members in the creation of projects in atlas, the establishment of budgets, the preparation of purchasing and recruitment plans ;
- Ensure the adequacy between budget execution and the achievement of the results assigned by project ;
- Establishes mechanisms to strengthen the capacities of national implementation structures and ensures their execution;
- Ensure the establishment and implementation of a project monitoring and evaluation system with a view to obtaining results ;
- Ensure the timely and quality preparation of quarterly and annual progress reports towards the assigned results in terms of governance, reports on the risks and problems that may hinder the achievement of these results and proposes mitigation solutions and actions ;
- Time and quality preparation of donor reports ;
- Follow up on audit recommendations by ensuring that management is informed about digressions ;
- Ensure all operations related to the operational and financial closure of projects ;
- Must reach an annual execution rate of at least 80% on the projects under its responsibility ;
- Carry out project visits every three months and prepare a report, in the format of the UNDP, on the situation of projects, the problems encountered and the solutions proposed ;
- Ensure quality control at all project management stages.
Resource mobilization and development of strategic partnerships :
- Develop briefing notes on existing or potential donors in the area of governance, their areas of intervention and their requirements ;
- Develop advocacy notes, project sheets on possible areas of cooperation and identifies opportunities for the initiation of new projects for resource mobilization and cost-sharing programming ;
- Implement partnership and resource mobilization strategies for the office to achieve the effects of the program ;
- Develop and coordinate partnerships with SNU agencies, financial institutions, bi and multilateral donors, government institutions, the private sector and civil society in the area of governance based on the strategic objectives of the UNDP, the priorities of the country and those of donors ;
- Develop letters of agreement or partnerships with donors or other stakeholders, as well as with national implementing entities and monitor their implementation ;
- Prepare reports, on time and in quality, to the various partners intervening alongside the UNDP in the field of governance ;
Support services quality advice and knowledge management :
- Identifies sources of information on policy issues ;
- Coordinate the formulation of policies and institutions that respond to the country’s problems and needs in collaboration with the government and other strategic partners ;
- Contributes substantially in discussions and meetings, when developing national strategies and policies, directly or by using the knowledge networks available within the organization ;
- Identifies, develops summaries of best practices and lessons learned related to the governance sector ;
- Establishes advocacy networks at the national level which are linked to networks at the international level. Significant impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with partners ;
- Contributes substantially to knowledge networks and communities of practice and shares best practices; and
- Supervisors project and unit personnel in results-based management ;
- Promotes the development of individual skills and lifelong learning through training available on the SML and other opportunities.
Impact of results
The positive results obtained contribute directly and significantly to the achievement of the objectives of the Country Program and to the UNDAF. More specifically, the results obtained have an impact on the design, implementation and management of projects and the Country Program as well as on the development of strategic partnerships and the mobilization of resources.
Supervisory / management responsibilities :
- Ensure inter-unit cooperation, coordination, teamwork.
- Perform all management / leadership functions in accordance with management standards, rules and regulations established by the United Nations and UNDP, guarantees the highest standards of ethics, integrity and responsibility in the personal and professional fields.
The following positions are the responsibility of the program coordinator: finance specialist, procurement and supply specialist, program manager, monitoring and evaluation specialist and project assistant.
V. Skills required
In this section, describe the requirements of the position
- University degree at Master level or equivalent in public administration, political, legal or other similar fields ;
- Training and certification in Prince2 would be an asset
VII. Experience, knowledge and skills
- At least 5 years of professional experience at national and international level in the area of policy advice;
- Experience in the design, management, implementation and evaluation of development projects;
- Experience in building partnerships with external partners and governments;
- Mastery of the IT tool, knowledge of current software and management experience in a networking environment.
- Perfect mastery of the French; and
- Good knowledge of English
VIII. Expected skills
LEVEL 3: Define and align ambitious and achievable objectives for several projects, have a lasting impact
LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
LEVEL 3: Create and seize opportunities to broaden horizons, diversify experiences
LEVEL 3: Initiate and defend change proactively, manage several competing demands
Act with determination
LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate tasks / obstacles and act to get better results
Engage and associate
LEVEL 3: Political sense, evolving in a complex landscape, defending inter-agency collaboration
Foster diversity and inclusion
LEVEL 3: Appreciate the benefits of a diverse workforce and defend inclusiveness
Management of persons ( insert the standard sentence below if it is a supervisory position. )
UNDP skills in people management can be found on the site.
Transversal and technical skills ( insert up to 7 skills )
Advocacy and proposed policy agenda :
Prepare information for the Advocacy
- Develop effective advocacy strategies ;
- Perform analyzes of political situations and scenarios and contribute to the formulation of institutional responses ;
- Has analytical skills and strategic formulations combined with confirmed experience in managing operational activities ;
- Has a good capacity to conduct high-level discussions and advise on development policies with governmental and non-governmental representatives and to conduct formal negotiation processes ;
Development and management of a results-based program:
Contribute to results through basic research and analysis
- Has the ability to learn quickly and to work simultaneously and effectively on a variety of tasks, independently adjusting priorities to achieve agreed results ;
- Provides information that helps identify points of convergence and integration between program activities ;
- Provides information and documentation on the different stages of program and project implementation ;
- Provides information to identify project development opportunities and contributes to the development of project documents ;
- Participate in the formulation of project proposals.
Creation of strategic partnerships : Maintain a network of contacts
- Actively contribute to creating networks with partners by seizing the opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to the mandate of UNDP ;
- Identifies the needs and capacity development interventions of the counterparty, customers and potential partners ;
- Promotes the UNDP agenda in inter-agency meetings.
Innovation and Marketing of New Approaches : Improve processes and products
- Identifies a wide range of perspectives in the development of project proposals ;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their applications in other situations ;
- Create an environment that promotes innovation and innovative thinking ;
- Has a good capacity to innovate and keep abreast of the evolution of practices and instruments in development cooperation ;
- Sharing, with the supervisor, the innovative ideas that come from the team;
Resource mobilization : Make contributions in the resource mobilization strategy
- Analyzes information / databases on potential donors and the national counterpart in order to recommend a strategic approach ;
- Identifies and compiles the lessons learned ;
- Has a good capacity to understand the needs of partners and translate them into concrete actions with professionalism;
- Develop a resource mobilization strategy in the sector concerned which will feed into the office’s resource mobilization strategy and has good experience in setting up multi-donors.
Promotion of organizational learning and knowledge sharing:
- Development of tools and mechanisms, compiles data on innovative ideas by documenting the successes achieved and by exploiting them for the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Professional knowledge / Technical expertise:
- Includes complex aspects of the specialization sector as well as fundamental concepts of different fields;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field of professional discipline and knowledge of one’s work and takes initiatives for self-learning ;
- Has a good capacity to identify emerging risks or new opportunities and to share them with the relevant UNDP staff as well as partners ;
- Has strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence without formal authority and to work in a team in a multicultural work environment ;
- Has very good communication skills, in French and in English both in oral and written presentations ;
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of information technologies and apply them in daily work ;
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding and knowledge of current procedures and project management tools and use them regularly in daily work ;
- Has a good knowledge of integrated systems ( ERP ) such as peoplesoft or SAP.
- Policy and governance ;
- Program management;
- Resource mobilization ;
- Strategic partnerships ;
- knowledge management;
Legal information Female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Important information for applicants
All positions in the MFN categories are subject to local recruitment.
Information for applicants regarding « UNDP Roster »
Note : UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy notice. We can also keep the applications and take into consideration the candidates applying for this post for other similar posts within the UNDP, at the same hierarchical level and with a job description, experience and similar educational requirements.
Diversity of the workforce UNDP is committed to ensuring diversity among its staff and encourages all qualified candidates, regardless of their gender, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, of their culture, their religion and their ethnic origin, to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality. We strongly encourage female candidates.
Scam warning The United Nations does not charge any application, treatment, training, maintenance, testing or other fees as part of the application or recruitment process. If you receive a request for payment of a fee, please ignore it. In addition, please note that the emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. You are therefore advised to be particularly careful when submitting personal information on the web.