For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM is active in North-East Nigeria since 2016. The program is implemented around the main following components:
- Access to primary health care
- Nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition)
- Gender based violence survivors’ treatment
- Mental health and psychological support
MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa. The team is composed of around 10 expatriates and 300 national staffs.
Untill recently MdM’s intervention was emergency oriented, with five MdM clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 2 in Damboa) plus an emergency response team (ERT) for rapid response to sudden population displacements and cholera outbreaks.
At the same time, a new crisis has arisen in North-West Nigeria in link with massive banditery acts and farmers/herders conflict dynamics. Two needs assessments have been conducted by MdM teams in Zamfara State in 2021 and even though we are not planning to be operational in this area in the coming months, we keep a close eye on the developments in this region and start to work on our access strategy. This could lead to a scaling-up in MdM’s humanitarian operations.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the desk manager, you are responsible for the overall management of the Nigeria mission. In particular, you ensure that programmes meet operational, administrative, financial, human, material and organisational objectives by coordinating and leading a team of approximately 200 people. You lead the implementation of the projects in Maiduguri and Damboa areas, while supervising security and safety as well as ensuring the deployment of frameworks, policies and procedures. You also develop and lead advocacy work and partnerships.
The General coordinator supervises 3 bases within the country (Maiduguri coordination office, Maiduguri base and Damboa base) as well as one small base in Abuja that serves to support operations.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Ensure the development and the execution of the country strategy
- Ensure synergies between programme and support departments
- Take the lead in defining the operational and advocacy strategy together with the coordination team and the desk manager
- Provide guidance and support to the different departments
- Ensure good collaboration with partners
- Ensure adequate means are available for the smooth running of programmes
- Ensure the respect of internal rules and regulations as well as the compliance with the objectives, rules and procedures of donors
- Contribute to the budget development, monitor and control spending and budget revision
- Ensure a national security plan, regularly updated and well implemented in the field
- Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application
- Ensure the overall management of any security-related incident
- Identify and change, when needed, the security phase of the mission with support from the mission management team and HQ
- Monitor and analyse the security situation in collaboration with the security liaison officer
- Anticipate security developments and regularly update the security guidelines
- Ensure reporting to the desk manager and the rest of the team on any security incident or development
- Ensure all staff is briefed on security and adheres to security rules and procedures
- Build the capacities of the security liaison officer and the logistics coordinator in managing the safety of the team
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in Nigeria
- Represent MdM and develop and maintain good relationships with the authorities and stakeholders
- Undertake proactive donor prospection, establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
Programme design and coordination
- Monitor the humanitarian situation and define the operational strategy in the country in collaboration with the coordination team
- Propose and discuss new actions with the team and the desk manager when needed (needs assessments, reorientation of activities, implementation of new activities)
- Analyse the overall context, develop a network of contacts inside and outside Nigeria in line with the humanitarian situation
- Supervise the preparation of proposals, reports and other documents requested by donors
- Lead the coordination meetings, share their minutes and any action plans
- Ensure good information flow and maintain proper communication between the different departments
- Define the general organisation of the mission and propose changes when needed
- Ensure briefings for new arrivals
- Support the coordination team in the daily management of the mission
- Make sure performance appraisals, action plans and capacity building plans are regularly conducted for the staff
- Conduct performance appraisals and action plans and ensure capacity building strategy for the team under your direct supervision
- Participate in the revision of job descriptions and the recruitment processes for the team under your direct supervision
- Ensure the level of visibility and public messages on programmes are in line with MdM strategy
- Be the spokesperson for MdM in Nigeria with local and international media, in coordination with HQ
- Report regularly and share information with the desk manager through monthly reports
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Status : Employee Contract : Fixed-term contract
- Duration : 9 months
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Gross monthly salary: 3 425 euros
- Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments – minimum of 6 months seniority required
- Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
- Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
- Guesthouse housing
- 22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
- 5 weeks of paid leaves per year
- Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
- Insurance (repatriation…)
- Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite)
- Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
- Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility.
- Single posting
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Higher education in project management or general field of study (five years post-secondary education)
- Minimum three year experience in a similar position with an international NGO working in emergency contexts, preferably within the health sector, or previous field experience with MdM in different contexts
- Experience in supervision and management of a large expatriate and national team
- Substantial experience in safety and security management in volatile contexts
- Previous experience in Nigeria is an asset
- Strong leadership skills and supportive management style
- Diplomacy, negotiation and networking skills
- Proficient use of Pack Office 365
- Languages: fluent English (written and spoken) mandatory. Hausa or French is an asset.
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications. MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply
Click on the following link to apply: http://www.jobs.net/j/JfHAXrDN?idpartenaire=128