Level/Grade of the Position: G5
1. Background and Justification
*Purpose of the Position
Provide support to the country office, as related to the preparation and monitoring of budget estimates, financial transactions, e-imprest, journalization, and liquidation of payments and facilitate the timely transfer of funds for Programme activities. Provide assistance to national and international staff and non staff on all issues related to financial matters.
2. Job Description
*Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective
To ensure that effective WHO country presence is established to implement WHO country cooperation strategies that are aligned with Member State’s health and development agendas, and harmonized with the United Nations country teams.
*Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment)
Under the supervision of the Admin. Officer and general guidance of WR and relevant Project Officer(s) work is performed in a typical office environment. Work is assigned by supervisor who gives instructions on non-routine matters. Guidance is provided in the form of work programme, account guidelines, administrative and financial instructions. Supervisor/s and lead-worker/s determine priorities on the basis of changing and ad-hoc requirements. Incumbent performs day-to-day routine tasks independently. Complex issues or exceptions from established procedures are discussed and resolved with supervisor. Some judgment and interpretation are involved in determining appropriate methods for the processing of the various accounting tasks and in adapting established practices to assigned work. Complete work is reviewed by supervisor(s) for accuracy, adherence to the established procedures and deadlines.
*Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected)
- Administer the E-Imprest system, Ensure proper implementation of financial procedures, systems and internal controls according to Global Management System (GSM) instructions and WHO rules. Select and enter data from variety of documents, ensure accuracy in calculations and attach necessary supporting invoices or receipts of payments and payment authorizations.
- Record all expenses and receipts in the e-imprest and reflect it in the GSM in a timely manner. Monitor the unposted items in the cash book and take necessary steps to clear them in coordination with Global Service Center (GSC).
- Initiate, verify and process financial transactions and payments for WRO office and sub-offices related to staff and non staff costs, purchase orders, local purchases, etc, based on authorizations received from EMRO and GSC. Process e-imprest transactions and monitor imprest GL’s including processing and reviewing of purchase orders for services – Imprest, DFC’s, GES snd other activities with the aim to ensure accuracy of financial data, adequacy of supporting documents and maintenance of proper accounting records.
- Reconcile country office cash books and justify any difference in reconciliation; prepare cash counts and to reconcile with the cashbook on a monthly basis
- Follow up on the transfer of program funds and award budgeting GSM workplans. Monitor awards expiry dates, alert responsible staff, and initiate action for expenditure batches. Review and follow up on encumbrances and unapplied receivable balances, process and monitor revisions of amounts vis-à-vis award distribution by SO/OWER
- Compare cash books with bank statements to compute gain and loss in exchange rate on monthly basis and liaison with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange rates, Prepare financial tables, special reports and other ad-hoc reports. Initiate correspondence and answer queries related to area of work.
- Update and maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions.
- Replace and assist other colleagues in the team and perform other related financial and administrative duties as required
3. Recruitment Profile
Describe the core, management competencies required – See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones.
*2. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Setting an example
Functional Knowledge and Skills
*Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position
- Sound knowledge of the organization’s policies and regulations in general, and in particular, regarding project activities and financial procedures.
- Very good organizational skills.
- Good knowledge of banking regulations and local laws.
- Proven analytical and effective communication skills.
Completion of secondary education; training in business administration/commerce and or technical courses in a field related to the work performed.
University degree in accounting, commerce or business administration is an asset.
At least five years of related experience in accounting and/or administrative work.
Work experience with UN organizations / agencies or international institutions
4. Use of Language Skills
Very good knowledge of English and local languages
Other Considerations (e.g. Physical Workplace Condition, if other than normal office environment; IT Skills; etc.)
**-**Good knowledge of Microsoft applications.
– Knowledge of ERP/Oracle applications is an asset
How to apply
Your application should be sent to the below email address, please indicate the title of the position you have applied in the email subject by close of business Thursday 15 Sept 2022. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format) with your contact details.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.