GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Officer
Location: Lokoja, Kogi
Department: Field Operations
Reports to: Associate Field Manager
Level: Field Officer
About this Role
- The Field Officer is the primary contact between GiveDirectly and the recipients.
- His/her role will be central to the success of the organization’s field operations.
- They are the face and reputation of the organization in the community and manage the relationship with recipients and leaders in the community.
- The Field Officers work full-time in the field and report to an Associate Field Manager.
- This role does not manage any other staff.
- The Field Officer will carry out and support a variety of activities, depending on his/her team assignment and GiveDirectly’s needs on any given day, including executing recipient surveys and associated processes to deliver GiveDirectly’s unique cash transfer model
- Part of the Field Officer’s responsibility includes supporting the Associate Field Manager in day-to-day field operations, including work planning, field risk assessment, community mobilization, and sensitization, and recipient protection.
- GiveDirectly holds highly the value of keeping recipients as the priority of our work and always ensuring recipients are satisfied with how the organization relates with them.
- The Field Officer ensures eligible recipients are safeguarded, their rights are protected, their choices are respected and that they have the necessary support mechanisms to fully realize the impact of the transfers they receive from GiveDirectly.
- The role will reward high-quality judgment on operational questions and challenges, work ethic, communication skills, and a strong commitment to GiveDirectly’s mission and model.
- This is a 6-month contract position to start, with the opportunity to extend depending on funding availability and performance.
What You’ll Do
- Be a representative of GiveDirectly within the community by meeting with community members, explaining the program, helping to enroll recipients, and solving any issues or concerns that may arise
- Conduct community entry meetings in target communities; identify any risks or operational challenges ahead of enrollment
Help with Enrollment:
- Explain GiveDirectly program to eligible households
- Verify location of eligible households by using phones or tablets to conduct surveys
- Educate households on how to enroll via USSD and set up mobile money accounts
- Ensure we are achieving a high fidelity program by adequately interfacing with recipients and ensuring the pilot is on track
- Support the Assistant Field Manager with daily activities and management of any operational challenges
What You’ll Bring
- Minimum of Diploma or Degree in relevant field
- Previous working experience in the field with vulnerable communities (1-2 years minimum). Experience as a field enumerator or field officer preferred.
- Must be fluent in at least 1 of the local languages spoken in Kogi State (Igbira, Hausa) – a language test will be administered
- Empathy, honesty, and the highest standards of integrity
- Technological literacy – ability to use a smartphone, tablet, or computer to accurately record recipient details in survey forms.
- Strong interest in advancing the distinctive values and mission of GiveDirectly
- Excellent communication skills
- Patience and good judgment in resolving recipient problems
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Why Work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums.
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!).
- Desk allowance and flexible work location.
- At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably.
- We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- We will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have experience working in the communities that GiveDirectly will serve.