E T Consultant
Job #: req22551
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): French, Spanish
Closing Date: 5/19/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA or Agency) is a member of the World Bank Group (WBG), and our mission is to promote foreign direct investment into developing countries to help end extreme poverty and boost share prosperity. We do that through the provision of political risk insurance and credit enhancement to investors and lenders against losses caused by noncommercial risks. For more information, visit www.miga.org.
MIGA’s Operations Department (MIGOP1) is seeking an Extended Term Consultant (ETC), who will be responsible for Portfolio Management (PM) activities. The position is based in Washington DC and will report to the Global Head of PM. S/he will: i) be responsible for all portfolio management and client services activities in the Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) sector; ii) work closely with various operations departments including regional teams and business sectors, iii) coordinate on a routine basis with other relevant Departments within MIGA, and iv) have direct supervisory, coaching and mentorship responsibility over PM Analysts.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Manage post-contract activity throughout the life of executed contracts and, in close coordination with the rest of the PM team, adhere to the good practices of managing business contracts and clients, and comply with MIGA financial, environmental, legal, and other standard requirements when executing changes in contracts of guarantee.
- Follow up all contractual obligations (including, but not limited to, annexes, overdue premiums, development effectiveness indicators, E&S obligations, etc.), preparation of amendments, contract assignments, closing notes, consent, and waiver letters, as well as other official documents.
- Manage client relationships and ensure a high level of client satisfaction.
- Underwrite modifications of prior concurrence related to the existing projects following underwriting guidelines and MIGA’s internal policies and procedures on modifications of the existing projects.
- Represent MIGA and explain MIGA’s contract terms and conditions to officials in clients throughout the life of the MIGA guarantee.
- Negotiate changes in contracts of guarantee with investors to ensure contracts are developed and documented in accordance with MIGA’s policies and procedures while also satisfying the needs of clients.
- Develop and share PM experience and perspective to feed into strategy development and business decision making, through sharing of lessons learned from the portfolio, producing benchmarking analytics, etc.
- In liaison with the Global Head of PM, advise and update MIGA’s management on changes to the portfolio in terms of sector concentration and other changes.
- Manage MIGA’s portfolio and ensure management plans are adhered to and applied to all projects.
- Engage with legal department to resolve pre-claim and claim situations related to the existing contracts of guarantee.
- Collaborate with other project evaluation report (PER) members (operations officers, underwriters, risk management officers, environmental and social specialists) to research, analyze and prepare evaluation reports.
- Participate in strengthening the operational risk management and internal control processes of the Agency, especially in areas related to underwriting and contract management.
- Provide early warning for projects at risk.
- Build capacity and mentor operations analysts to improve their knowledge and skills for efficient work delivery.
- MBA or Master’s degree in Finance, Economics or International Business or related field, plus a minimum of 8-10 years of experience in the financial services industry and portfolio management or project financing with a focus on investments in emerging markets (with reputable financial institution, developmental agency, or consulting company).
- At least 8 years of active credit decision making experience, strong analytical skills, and sound business judgement.
- Sound knowledge of sourcing/structuring project finance transactions, and a proven track record portfolio/asset management.
- Strong project management skills, ability to be flexible, to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, propose reliable solutions, and implement projects effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to establish and nurture client relationship.
- Strong sense of service and protection of MIGA’s assets.
- Excellent people management skills and openness to feedback; new ideas and ability to guide staff to find solutions for problems.
- Ability to work in a matrix organizational structure, delivering high quality work within deadlines and meeting business objectives.
- Recognized as a team player and strategic thinker with ability to develop innovative solutions to address portfolio risks.
- Ability to collaborate closely with other parts of the World Bank Group and other MFIs and financing institutions and banks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and knowledge of other languages like French and Spanish is a plus.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.