Job #: req22829
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): French, Spanish
Closing Date: 6/12/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The Global Macroeconomics and Debt unit in the Macroeconomics, Trade and Investment (MTI) Global Practice (GP) is seeking to recruit an outstanding Computable General Equilibrium modeler, with a background in modelling the macroeconomic effects of climate change! Our unit comprises economists and experts specializing in quantitative macroeconomic modeling, climate change, growth analysis, debt sustainability analysis and debt management. The unit provides technical assistance using macrostructural and computable general equilibrium (CGE) models on leading development issues.
Building on existing tools, the successful candidate will work with the Global Lead for Macroeconomic modelling and in conjunction with more senior colleagues to assist country teams find solutions to pressing development problems using the team’s CGE modelling frameworks MANAGE and ENVISAGE. The team’s work program includes analysis of specific topics, capacity developing of officials in client governments, and the analysis of the macroeconomic effects of climate change.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Contribute to the unit’s work on climate-change issues, particularly the integration of climate considerations into the kinds of whole-economy macroeconomic models used by Ministries of Finance and Economy.
- Assist with and lead country-client focused technical assistance, including design, building and maintenance of customized climate-aware CGE models using the MANAGE and ENVISAGE frameworks and the GAMS mathematical programming language.
- Take responsibility for the modelling of mitigation and adaptation policy and economic damages of climate in one or more country-specific Country Climate Development Reports.
- Conduct capacity-building exercises via the training of staff in client ministries to establish their independent ability to build, maintain and modify CGE models
- Prepare technical reports, model documentation and working papers describing technical work conducted within the broader modelling program.
1. Minimum of a master’s degree(s) in economics, climate studies or public policy with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in applied economics. 2. Experience writing, building and maintaining dynamic recursive CGE models written in GAMS in a professional post-university environment. 3. A record modelling the economic effect of climate change at the country level and of the policies designed to mitigate climate change and those designed to make economies more resilient to climate change. 4. A solid understanding of the nuances involved when constructing and modifying Social Accounting matrices. 5. Experience conducting capacity building and training using CGE models. 6. A publication record in in peer-reviewed journals and reports. 7. Excellent communication and presentation skills — both verbal and written. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly on complex topics to a wide variety of audiences. 8. A high degree of self-motivation, positive attitude, drive and strong commitment towards teamwork and knowledge sharing, especially across the World Bank Group. 9. Excellent interpersonal and negotiations skills and ability to work flexibly, creatively and to multitask as the need arises.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.