Economist Consulting for the Representation of Honduras
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile and passionate people, united to improve life in Latin America and the Caribbean. Those who work with us find purpose and do what they love best in an inclusive, collaborative, agile and rewarding environment.
About this job position:
Our office in Honduras is looking for a consultant to support the Economist in Honduras and Guatemala. The consultant will serve as a member of the Team and performs a wide range of functions that contribute to the achievement of economic growth and social development in the country he serves, providing economic monitoring and analysis of development needs and results within the context of the Bank’s mandate.
The IDB with Country Offices in each of the 26 borrowing countries has among its responsibilities: ( a ) Develop a close dialogue relationship with public and private sector institutions to identify the country’s development needs according to demand and its context; ( b ) Develop, implement, and monitor the Bank’s regional strategies in the country; ( c ) Formulate and coordinate design as project execution; and ( d ) Monitor the execution times of operational programs in the country and region and measure the performance of the support sectors and services.
Representations constitute a fundamental asset of the Bank and the CID Department. The Representations, under the supervision of the Country Representatives, they are a “ single window ” to guide the Bank’s dialogue with the country, define the strategy and the program, and deliver the products. It is in the Representations where opportunities are born and where it is possible to support effective development solutions.
This is what you will do:
The main responsibilities of the selected candidate will be: Dialogue with the country:
- Support the country economist in the analysis and monitoring of the macroeconomic development of Honduras, raising knowledge for the Bank and supporting the identification of risks and opportunities.
- Keep the country economist and the country office updated on the main challenges at the microeconomic level that inhibit the functioning of certain markets / sectors ( labor market, banking sector ).
- Support the country economist to keep the CID Department updated on the main social trends in the country, such as poverty, internal migration, urbanization, political economy, among others.
- Support the country economist in the discussion of research topics for the Bank’s Strategy with the Country and for the design and implementation of the bank’s program in the country and identifies areas criticism for the Bank’s dialogue with the country and the necessary agenda to sustain this dialogue.
- Coordinate with the country economist the evaluation, preparation and monitoring of progress and results of the Country Strategy.
- Participate in dialogue with counterparts on policies and reforms in strategic areas identified by the Representative and the country economist.
- Keep the country economist and the Representative informed about the activities of other multilateral agencies and donors in the country and support coordination with them.
- Support the country economist to identify the needs of the Country and the Counterparts in economic terms, including sectoral issues.
- Support the country economist to keep the CID Department updated on the country’s trend, the opinion of technical counterparts and other institutions.
- Support the country economist in the design and execution of a program for the generation, improvement and dissemination of knowledge for the country.
- Assist the country economist in providing country-level knowledge inputs to other Bank sectors.
- Support the participation of the country economist and the Regional Economic Adviser in the preparation of economic forums.
- Support the country economist in accompanying sectoral specialists to put into context studies coordinated by them, ensuring that policy recommendations or sectoral and multisectoral actions reflect the reality of the country.
- Supports the design of an annual work plan on economic issues for the country aligned with the plan for the region.
- Keep the country economist and the Regional Economic Advisor informed about regional initiatives that involve their country(ies) of responsibility.
- Be updated on the generation of knowledge from other relevant institutions in the country and abroad.
Internal corporate management:
- Support Bank staff in discussions that address institutional initiatives at the strategic level.
- Contribute with the local vision to transversal regional initiatives.
- Support the country economist in updating and drafting internal documents containing sustainability analyzes on Honduras’ economic policies.
- Prepare inputs for periodic reports and reports on the economic, political and social situation in the country.
- Manage with the Coordinator the pertinent activities of the work plan and CPD of the country, as well as the briefs requested by the Management of CID, the Representative and the operational team.
- Support the preparation of the documents for macroeconomic safeguards of the institution and coordinate with the Regional Economic Advisor the process of approval of the documents.
- Support the coordinator and the Representative in the identification of operational risks and opportunities.
- Support the coordinator in providing analytical inputs for programming dialogues.
- Support the country programming processes and their alignment with the EBP.
This is what you will need:
- Education: Master’s degree or equivalent, with a minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: Broad-based work experience and in-depth knowledge of the functional specialty. Ability to develop, analyze and articulate problems related to projects. Ability to diagnose problems and propose reliable solutions.
- Languages: Ability to read, write and speak Spanish or English and other official Bank languages, if necessary.
Areas of Specialization: Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in economic research, economic monitoring and analysis of economic information.
They provide knowledge of standard debt analysis techniques, balance of payments current account, and sustainability analysis is a requirement for this position. Experience in policy issues and development problems in the countries of the region. It is desirable that you have experience working in or with the IDB, including knowledge of its policies and procedures, as well as a good command of econometrics software ( STATA, MATLAB, etc.).
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of Honduras or a citizen of one of our 48 member countries with legal or residency permission to work in Honduras.
- Consanguinity: you have no relatives ( up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse ) who work in the IDB Group.
Contract type and duration:
- Contract Type and Modality: Full-time consultant ( CNS )
- Contract duration: 18 months.
- Start Date: June 2023
- Place ( s ) of work: Representation in Honduras
- Responsible person: The consultancy will be supervised by the Country Representative and the Country Economist and Regional Economic Advisor.
What we offer
The IDB Group offers benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive remuneration package
- Leave and vacations: 2 days per month of contract + parental leave regardless of gender.
- Health insurance: the IDB Group provides a monthly allowance for the purchase of health insurance
- Savings Plan: The IDB Group cares about your future and, depending on the length of the contract, you will receive an allowance for a monthly savings plan.
- Flexible and hybrid work schedules
- Health and wellness: Access to our Health Services Center that offers employees preventive care and health education.
Development support: We offer learning opportunities to improve your professional profile, such as seminars, individual career counseling, and much more.
At the IDB Group, we work for all people to do their best and bring their true selves to work, are willing to try new approaches without fear, are held accountable for their actions, and are forwarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and a Sense of Belonging ( DEIB ) are the pillars of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ +, people with disabilities, people of African descent and indigenous people to apply.
We will make sure that people with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request reasonable accommodations in order to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team thoroughly reviews each request.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, made up of the Inter-American Development Bank ( IDB ), IDB Invest, and IDB Lab, offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through loans and subsidies to public and private entities in the Americas. Latin and the Caribbean.
About the IDB
The Inter-American Development Bank’s mission is to improve lives. Founded in 1959, the IDB is one of the main sources of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB also conducts cutting-edge research projects and offers policy advice, technical assistance, and training to public and private clients throughout the region.
Follow us: https://www.linkedin.com/company/inter-american-development-bank/ https://www.facebook.com/IADB.org https://twitter.com/the_IDB
About IDB Lab
IDB Lab is the innovation laboratory of the IDB Group, the main source of financing and knowledge for development focused on improving lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. The purpose of the IDB Lab is to promote innovation for inclusion in the region, mobilizing financing, knowledge, and connections to test early-stage private sector solutions with the potential to transform the lives of vulnerable populations affected by economic, social, and environmental conditions.
About IDB Invest
IDB Invest, a member of the IDB Group, is a multilateral development bank committed to promoting the economic development of its member countries in Latin America and the Caribbean through the private sector. IDB Invest finances sustainable companies and projects so that they achieve financial results and maximize economic, social and environmental development in the region. With a portfolio of US $ 15.3 billion in assets under management and 375 clients in 25 countries, IDB Invest provides innovative financial solutions and advisory services that respond to the needs of its clients in a variety of sectors.
- External Opening Date: May 29, 2023
- External Closing Date: Jun 19, 2023
- Job Field: Technical Support