E T Temporary
Job #: req23152
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Administration/Office Support
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 6/26/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions, and fourteen Global Practices as well as five Global Themes to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
II. Regional and Country Unit Context
The World Bank Group serves 30 client countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LCR). Clients range from large rapidly growing sophisticated middle-income countries to IDA countries to small Caribbean states to one fragile state. Despite immense resources, dynamic societies, and an average annual per capita income of about $4,000, deep inequalities persist in most LCR countries, with nearly a quarter of the Region’s people living in poverty. The Bank’s strategy in LCR is focused on five pillars: (a) stimulating growth and improving competitiveness; (b) reducing poverty and inequality; (c) making governments and institutions work for people; (d) providing a platform for tackling global issues (climate change, trade, disease, migration); and (e) reducing risk, whether from extreme weather events, climate change, crime and violence or other.
The LC6 Country Management Unit (CMU) is responsible for Bank operations in Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador and Peru, and is composed of a Country Director, Operations Manager and three Program Leaders based in Lima; an Anchor Office in Washington D.C.; and Country Offices in Quito, La Paz, and Santiago. The CMU oversees a wide range of Bank activities, including over 40 projects under implementation with commitments of around US$6 billion in lending, as well as a program of over 30 knowledge, reimbursable advisory and convening activities.
The World Bank country office in Santiago, Chile includes the Representative (RR), an Executive Assistant, a Operations Officer (ETC) and a Communications Officer (ETC), among others. World Bank Group support in The Chile program includes activities of the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA). Through multisector coordination, the World Bank seeks to provide Chile with financial and technical assistance in support of public policy design and implementation to promote a more equitable and sustainable economy through social protection of the most vulnerable; decentralization and regional development; and climate change mitigation and adaptation. The country office serves as a liaison between the World Bank technical teams and government counterparts to set and d eliver on shared strategic priorities, including on knowledge sharing across client countries.
III. Scope of Work
The selected candidate will be assigned to provide general administrative office support to the Country Office team members, as well as tasks associated with the unit’s overall work program for which ad-hoc cross support will be needed. This position works closely with and reports to the Executive Assistant under the overall supervision of the Resident Representative. The Extended Term Temporary (ETT) will be expected to: Receptionist Responsibilities:
- Welcome, assist and announce visitors, including official delegations, clients or vendors.
- Provide appropriate responses and directs visitors to appropriate individuals.
- Create and keep a record or all visitors to the office (Gestkontrol).
- Answer the Country Office main line, pre-screen incoming calls. Take messages and deliver them accordingly.
- Provide general information regarding the Bank and responding to routine inquiries or complaints from clients and members of the public in line with Bank’s policies and management direction.
- Create and maintain updated our database of Government agencies.
- Sort and distribute the incoming correspondence including phone messages, mails.
- Handle courier services, including diplomatic pouch.
General Office Support:
- Back-up the Executive Assistance of the Resident Representative or other ACS staff during absences or peak periods.
- Assist TTLs with the creation, maintenance and tracking of contracts for STCs, STTs, and firms within the SAP framework
- Provide support with travel arrangements, create trips for consultants and group trips and process SOE submissions.
- Draft and edit routine correspondence and proofread material according to World Bank standard in English and Spanish
- Translate short documents in English and Spanish and vice versa.
- Assist the team on meeting coordination with staff and other internal/ external participants.
- Run stationery-stock controls and order office supplies with anticipation. Keep records of delivery orders to process payment. Ensure that printers toners and paper drawers are replenishing as necessary
- Help with other office tasks and procedures that the CMU could need help
Support to Visiting Missions, Study Tours and Events
- Provide logistical support to operational teams regarding visiting missions and study tours, managing the organization of meetings, workshops, events, and travel arrangements.
- Selection of venues and related services like catering and multimedia aids, and others if necessary.
- Preparation of materials to be given to each participant.
- Provision of support during the event day to ensure the proper provision of the logistics (participant, registration, handling and distribution of materials, catering)
- Be fully responsible for the follow up with vendors (e.g. catering, facilities, interpretation, transport) to send their invoices and verify the amounts billed. Keep records of quotes and authorizations.
Administrative/Resource Management Responsibilities
- Process accurately and promptly all accounting transactions (non-PO invoices, PO invoices to be reviewed and sent to Chennai using ePayables3).
- File relevant documents and invoices systematically and according to retention guidelines.
- Liaise with central payment processing/transaction processing units (Chennai/Global Payments Provider-GPP) to resolve routine issues
- Update bank details in GPP in ad hoc basis
- Back up for Customs and Foreign Affairs procedures
- Back up for ad hoc transactions in local Bank Account
Institutional and Regional Responsibilities
- Provide IT support in close coordination with our IT team in Lima.
- Be MERC Focal Point and be responsible for the provision and replacement of supplies in our first aid kit, AED check, among other.
- Collaborate with some of the corporate programs of the World Bank and initiatives upon request.
- High School diploma completed, pursuing careers such as business, accounting, economics, communications, or other related areas.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience, 5+ preferred.
- Microsoft office tools knowledge (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent speaking and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Good listening comprehension and fluency in English/Spanish are required.
- Letter of interest and CV written in English.
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Deliver Results for Clients: Proactively responds to and completes client requests.
- Lead and Innovate ‐ Identifies problems or obstacles.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries ‐ Contributes collaboratively to one’s own team.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge ‐ Shares knowledge appropriately Make Smart Decisions ‐ Recommends and takes crucial action.
- Make Smart Decisions ‐ Uses critical thinking to inform own decision-making.
IV. Selection process and the timeline
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of race, gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Interested candidates are requested to provide a written expression of interest in English and a CV. We will only contact shortlisted candidates for interviews and a writing assessment.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments