Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-Country Office (ETMCO) exciting career opportunity UNOPS-ETMCO is recruiting for this position: Driver, based in Aweil West, Mundri West, Pariang, Pochalla, Gogrial West, Torit and Pibor – South Sudan Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Management Support Officer, the Driver will provide reliable and safe driving services to field team and visitors, ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. She/he has a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Functions/Key Results Expected The successful candidate will be responsible for the following: –
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance and cleaning of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Immediate action in case of accident
Provision of reliable and secure driving services by
- Driving office vehicles for the field team;
- Collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items.
Ensures proper use of vehicle He/she will ensure proper use of the vehicle through
- accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs;
- provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Day-to-day maintenance and cleaning of the assigned vehicle Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by
- Checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tries, etc;
- Performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs;
- Ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean at all times.
Availability of documents/ supplies Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including
- Vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, waiver form, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts;
- Maintenance of accurate fuel logs.
Immediate action in case of accident Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.Impact of Result The key results will have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the UNOPS services.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required;
- A Technical Diploma in Automotive is an added advantage.
- A minimum of two (2) years of working as a driver of civilian vehicles is required.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs areas is an added advantage.
- Experience working with NGO and or UN is an added advantage.
- A valid driver’s license type “General” is required. .
- Fluency in written, reading and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of local Arabic is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA) Contract level: LICA 2- Support Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’ For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply.Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement Contract level: LICA 8- Specialist Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’ For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement Contract level: LICA 8- Specialist Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’ For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information -South Sudan
The UNOPS South Sudan office helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the South Sudanese people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. All UNOPS operations have an increasing emphasis on developing national capacities and considering gender, environmental and community concerns. UNOPS is working in a range of sectors in South Sudan including: transport, education, health, post-conflict stabilization and emergency response.