Job Identification : 10727
Locations : Syrian Arab Republic
Posting Date : 05/17/2023, 12:00 PM
Apply Before : 05/31/2023, 08:58 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : G2
Vacancy Type : Temporary
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education and Work Experience : High School certificate – 2 year(s) experience
Familiar with the Location- Qamishli City
Required Languages : Proficiency in English and Arabic
Vacancy Timeline : 2 Weeks
Job Category : Administration/Operations/Support
The post of Driver is located in the UNFPA Qamishli field office and reports to the Head of Office and works in close collaboration with the Operations Manager based in Damascus.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Additionally, s/he drives the office vehicle for transporting authorized personnel and delivery/collection of mail, documents and other items for the UNFPA office.
You would be responsible for:
- Drives for UN officials and staff. Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of UN staff, officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times.
- Ensures proper use of vehicle maintenance plans and assistance in preparing vehicle history report.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Keeps track of insurance and other tax formalities
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- When necessary, translates in local language for the head of the office and/or official personnel using the car.
- Assists office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required. Assists in the mailing and distribution of newsletters and publications and arranges to pay office telephone and other bills, as required.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications and Experience:
Education: Completed Secondary Level education.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Valid driver’s license
- Two years’ work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs
Fluency in Arabic; basic knowledge of English required
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Providing logistical support Managing data
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports Managing information and work flow
- Planning, organising and multitaskinge;
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.