Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first tier candidates.
Position : Driver (On Call) (1 Position)
Oganizational Unit : Procurement & Logistics
Duty Station : Yola
IOM Classification : Hourly
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term Hourly Contract
SVN No. : CFCV2022.79
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 5 July 2022
Under the overall supervision of the Procurement and Logistics Officer, and with direct supervision of the Procurement and Logistics Assistant, the successful candidate will be responsible for driving of vehicles in IOM’s regulations, rules, and procedures. In particular, s/he will:
- Drive IOM vehicle assigned to support the Mission
- Adhere and comply with IOM Driver’s Code of Conduct and Safety & Security Guidelines for Operating IOM Vehicle
- Ensure that the IOM vehicle project is used only for official/authorized business, as advised by the supervisor
- Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle to ensure roadworthiness of the vehicles. This includes daily check of tyres, brakes, engine oil, fan belt etc.
- Arrange for minor repairs and ensures that the vehicles are kept clean.
- Ensure that the vehicles undertake regular service intervals.
- Make sure that the vehicle always has full tank prior departure for field trips.
- Find the most direct routing over the best available roads to the destination.
- Make sure that the daily log sheet is prepared, and a monthly report is prepared.
- summarizing statistics linked to mileage, fuel consumption etc. for the vehicle.
- Keep a high degree of confidentiality and discreteness in discussions, which involves IOM and its officials.
- Take proper measurements to reduce potential security threats to IOM staff or property within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and along transport routes.
- Collect and delivers mail / documents as assigned in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the steps required by the local rules and regulations (pertaining to driving) are taken in case of involvement in accident.
- Meet IOM staff members and official guests at the airport and facilitates customs formalities as required.
- Perform any other duties that the supervisor may assign.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• High School Certificate/ diploma in related fields
• Professional certification in driving/Auto Mechanics.
• Previous experience in similar capacity; knowledgeable of Adamawa State roads and terrain (with valid driving license, must pass physical screening with at least two years of experience driving with Humanitarians actors) • Understanding of the importance of health and hygiene
• A great team player
• Fast Learner
Languages Fluency in English and Hausa / Fulani
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Inclusion & respect for diversity
• Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
• Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
• Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a “hands-on” approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed
• Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Managing and sharing knowledge
• Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
• Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having twoway communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line by Tuesday, 5th July 2022 and click this link https://forms.office.com/r/gxkEFfBnLh For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2022.79 Driver (On – Call). Yola
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants’ resident in Nigeria and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: 22.06.2022 to 05.07.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts