Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Reference ID: req14632
Reports to: Finance & Admin Coordinator, Kano
Project Overview and Role
- The UK Support to Health transformation in Nigeria through the Lafiya Programme is a flexible, demand-led strategic partnership with the Nigerian Federal and targeted State governments designed to address equity, improve and sustain health outcomes for the most vulnerable States with the worst health statistics.
- The desired objectives of the programme included fostering an enabling environment for UHC policy reform and implementation, institutional management capacity building and health system strengthening.
- This required the full engagement and participation communities with a view to contributing to ending preventable maternal and new-born deaths.
- The programme operated at the Federal level; and geographically in five states of – Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano and Yobe. Following the ODA cuts, from 0.7% to 0.5% and the spend review handrails, the FCDO reprioritization and business planning exercise beginning in the last quarter of 2020 and first quarter of 2021 the programme had to scale down some key interventions and consider reviewing the geographic scope going into the next financial years.
- The programme now focuses on contributing to two outcomes (1) Morbidity amongst women, newborns, children, and adolescents significantly reduced in targeted states; and (2) Covid-19 transmission and vaccine hesitancy reduced including improved plans and capacity for emergency preparedness and response in the targeted States:
- Output 1: Advocacy & Accountability – Leadership and Governance of primary health care services structures or planning and delivery teams are functional in targeted states (through partnership)
- Output 2: Adequate health workforce for primary health care including RMNCAH service delivery and BHCPF available and sustained in targeted states
- Output 3: Health information management systems capacity to support decision-making for primary health care including RMNCAH and BHCPF service delivery in targeted states increased
- Output 4: Health financing and public financial management to strengthen and sustain access to high quality and affordable primary health care in targeted states increased
- Output 5: Health security and epidemic preparedness and response (EPR) plans developed and operationalized within the targeted states (by addressing social norms/behaviour change).
- Under immediate supervision of the Finance & Admin Coordinator, performs function in the operation of a vehicle to assure safe transportation of Staff and Consultants to and from various destinations.
- Assumes responsibility for care and maintenance of project vehicles – washes and cleans interior;
- Responsible for the provision of safe and reliable driving services to the programme staff and consultants in the execution of their day to day duties.
- Reports any dysfunction to the Finance & Admin Coordinator, takes official vehicles for maintenance and repairs;
- Assists consultants in getting in and out of vehicles, and other courtesies when necessary;
- Responsible for the security of all passengers and any equipment in the vehicles;
- Updates vehicle log book for all journeys.
- Performs related duties as required.
The driver will be required to:
- Ensure that the assigned vehicle is clean, road worthy and compliant with FCDO and Palladium Operating Security Standards.
- Provide reliable and safe driving services to programme personnel as required.
- Support in the delivery and collection of cargo/mail, documents and other errands as directed by authorised programme personnel in accordance with set guidelines.
- Conduct office pickups and drop-offs for authorised staff and consultants as required.
- Ensure proper maintenance of the assigned vehicle ensuring vehicles are clean and functional and conducting timely repairs, change of oil etc. and reporting on supervisors on time.
- Take care of the day to day maintenance of assigned vehicles, check oil, water, battery, breaks, tires etc. as required to ensure the optimum performance of vehicles at all times.
- Report any mechanical faults in good time for repairs to be carried out and cross check to ensure that all such repairs were done properly.
- Check vehicle condition/requirement and fill the Log Book properly, log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, etc. also ensure that all assigned programme vehicles have up to date documentation including insurance and other required vehicle registration papers
- Ensure that vehicles petrol tanks are always full prior to any field trips.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discreteness about discussions which involve the programme and its officials.
- Take proper measures to reduce potential threats to LAFIYA Officials or property within the immediate vicinity of vehicles and along transport routes.
- Read and understand the Palladium (LAFIYA) Security Standards Operating Procedures and ensure compliance with all security requirements when driving and using any programme vehicle.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by law and by the Palladium (LAFIYA) rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents or incidents.
- Support the programme team by providing administrative and clerical support as required including in preparing, photocopying, collating, binding, filing and distributing documents, mail and notifications as requested.
- Provide general administrative and logistics support to the office and also during events and meetings as required.
- All LAFIYA project staff as assigned by line manager.
- Consortium Partners & Consultants as assigned by line manager.
The Driver should:
- Have a Certificate of Secondary School Education
- Have a valid Driving licence and any other documentation required to drive a vehicle in that capacity.
- Have a minimum of 5 years work experience in a similar position within any reputable organization (international development sector will be an added advantage).
- Be able to communicate in English language;
- Have an understanding of the mechanics of vehicles as this will be advantageous;
- Have demonstrable knowledge of Nigerian road networks (with particular emphasis on Northern Nigeria).
- Have demonstrable knowledge of Nigerian driving codes and regulations.
- Ability to drive and work long hours.
- Knowledge and fluent understanding of the local language will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online