Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Finance and Administration
Location: Bauchi, Nigeria and including telework opportunity
Type of Contract: Naira Based Contract
Contract Duration: October 2022 – August 2025
Assessment type: Capacity based assessment
Reports to Supervisor: The Director of Finance and Administration will report to the Chief of Party.
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability. Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State 25tate Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected states and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria This will be achieved by: Increased Efficiency of Sub National Government Operations: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management (PFM) and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Improved Sub National Government Responsiveness to Citizen Needs/CSO Engagement increasing government veness to citizen needs and priorities; and improved Sub National Capacity to Manage Conflict improving government and ovi society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State 25tate will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local sen, and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria Responsibilities The DFA will oversee activity operations, including but not limited to human resources pin coordination with DAU/Nigerial facilities logistics, procurement, subgrants and subcontracts, and accounting/finance.
- The DFA will oversee activity operations, including but not limited to human resources (in coordination with DAI/Nigeria), facilities, logistics, procurement, subgrants and subcontracts, and accounting/finance.
- Ensure that policies and practices are carried out in accordance with GAAP standards; activity internal controls are established and implemented in accordance with DAI policies, USAID rules/regulations and the terms of the contract.
- Monitor budget analysis/reports and activity cost reports/invoices against contract requirements, implementation progress, and general cost reasonableness/allowability/allocability; alert management team to necessary contractual or management actions based on reviews .
- Direct the schedule of financial activities to ensure the timely preparation of budget related reports.
- Be responsible for accurate and timely processing of invoices, advances and reimbursements, checks, and wire transfer payments including timely reviews and approvals as required.
- Develop internal control measures, conduct internal audits, and coordinate external financial audits.
- Review and approve all subgrant/subcontract budgets, and associated budget variances or other fiscal reports.
- Set up and manage people and systems to ensure adherence to restricted grant budgets, including periodic updates on budget variance and preparation of budget modification documents .
- Develop the financial capacities and capabilities of all relevant staff and subgrantees and subcontractors under this activity.
- Develop and implement systems, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with DAI and USAID funding requirements.
- Other responsibilities of a reasonable nature as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Ensure that all operational and administrative functions of the activity are aligned and support technical activities, and that the activity conforms to USAID rules and regulations as well as contractual requirements, including cost, schedule, and quality parameters.
- In coordination with DAI/Nigeria, oversee all human resources (HR) functions including hiring practices, employee review policies, professional development and orientation, and other HR activities; assure compliance with applicable HR, employment and personnel laws and regulations.
- In coordination with DAI/Nigeria, oversee payroll, benefits administration, recruiting, onboarding, off-boarding, employee check-in and exit interviews, and other human resource needs.
- Review and approve documents in a timely manner as per the Project Schedule of Authorities (PSOA), which may be updated time to time in coordination with DAI home office project management unit (PMU) and internal audit.
- Maintain updated personnel and operations policies and procedures and ensure compliance, including reflecting updates (as approved by DAI home office PMU), as managed by the Operations Manager, in a timely and consistent manner within the Field Operations Manual (FOM).
- Oversee project procurement efforts for cost reasonableness/allowability/allocability and compliance.
- Negotiate, prepare, and monitor all vendor and consultant contracts.
- Oversee management and maintenance of all office systems and facilities.
- Maintain files on grant/procurement/subcontractor documents and modifications as applicable.
- Establish guidelines for maintaining subgrantee and subcontractor and other partnership files and activities, as applicable.
- Develop and oversee document retention policies and manage disposal of records in collaboration with DAI home office.
- Other responsibilities of a reasonable nature as assigned by the Chief of Party.
Educational Qualification and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance or equivalent, and ACA/ACCA/CPA, or other recognized professional accounting qualification.
- At 12+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, internal controls, and project operations at the senior-level of an organization
- Ability to develop and manage large budgets, and in-depth knowledge of USG Cost Accounting Standards.
- Progressively responsible experience supervising project operations, including human resources, procurement, subgrants and subcontracts, auditing, and accounting/finance.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communications skills in English; supervisory skills; and ability to work well on a team.
- Experience in managing and administering grants under contract (GUCs).
- Experience in building or enhancing civil society organization (CSO) financial management capacity.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc., and the ability to use various commercially available accounting software programs.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to both train and be trained.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience, including with remote management.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Analytical and forward-thinking problem solver with high ethical standards and professionalism.
- Experience managing operations of USAID-funded projects, preferably in complex and fast paced environments.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing operations and financial systems.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- DAI Nigeria will only contact candidates that are successful at this pre-qualification stage
- Applications from women, people with disabilities and young people who meet the above qualifications are encourage to apply