Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Medical Coordinator
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
cope of Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Supporting the Medical Coordinator through delegated tasks and responsibilities including defining, lead-ing and coordinating the entire medical scope of the mission, according to MSF protocols, standards, policies and values, in order to ensure the quality of the medical care given to the targeted population and thus improving their overall health and living conditions.
- Fully assuming the medical coordinator’s responsibilities in case of absence
- Supporting the Medical Coordinator in defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the MSF country policy and annual plan, by scanning health needs and translating them into objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk.
- At the request of the Medical Coordinator, representing MSF before third parties concerning medical issues, ensuring its good public image and the alignment with the mission interests, through regular contacts with other actors in the country, negotiating with authorities when necessary, and informing on MSF charter, values and principles
- Participating and contributing in the definition and update of the country policy, annual plan and budgets in order to develop the projects and programmes aimed at addressing humanitarian issues at stake ensuring its efficiency and quality ( i.e. monitoring the project implementation, assisting the Project Coordinator and the medical teams in drafting the project proposal and follow up, identifying priority needs, other potential areas of action and emergency situations and collaborating and assisting in the production of medical reports)
- Coaching, training and motivating the teams in the mission in order to align all field staff with MSF values and ethics, and ensuring their capability to carry out their job achieving MSF quality standards (i.e. induction, briefing/debriefing, training, potential detection, evaluation)
- Collaborating, together with the logistics department and according to project needs, in the pharmacy management in order to ensure enough and quality supply of drugs and medical material (i.e. review of medical orders and monitoring of medicines consumption and stock levels of the different projects)
- Assisting in defining and implementing the staff health and security policies for international and national staff in order to ensure its overall safety (i.e. monitors both physical and mental health state of staff, promotes compliance of all related protocols and procedures and collaborates in the update of issues regarding the security context)
- Closely works with the Medco in supporting implementation of medical activities by the Project-offering needed support to the medical project team/PMR
- Participates in Medical assessments when/if needed
- Covers the gap of PMR at the project level when required
- Follows up closely the medical activities in Bauchi and other Projects with regular updates to the Medco. Proposes or facilitates needed support.
- Provides support during planning for exploration Missions and, when required, be part of Medical team involved in Explos.
- Offers needed support to the Mission pharmacist especially during planning or adapting to new strategies.
- Analysis the pharmacy needs in collaboration with the Mission pharmacist ( International order , Master list , quarterly order …)
- Follows up with Mission pharmacist during monthly analysis report to ensure timely donations to avoid expiries on the shelves.
- Accompany the Medco and be actively involved in meetings with authority, MOH or other Actors, taking down minutes for reference and follow up.
- Ensures fulfilment of his/her shared tasks and responsibilities.
- At the request and in absence of the MEDCO, responsible for Expat health.
- Fully assumes the Medical Coordinator’s tasks and responsibilities in case of the latter’s absence/gaps.
- Essential Degree on Medicine or other Paramedical Studies. Training in tropical medicine or Public Health
- Training or experience in tropical medicine and/or public health desirable
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development, Commitment to MSF Principles, Behavioural Flexibility, Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation.
Application Closing Date
14th October, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Applications must be in English and include:
- Complete CV with Cover Letter and copies of all Certificates and Diplomas mentioned in the CV.
- Updated contact details and ID
- Contact information of the previous employer/s for reference
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.