The Danish Red Cross (DRC) aims to support individuals facing significant vulnerability, residing in complex, fragile, and prolonged crisis situations, as well as those impacted by disasters and conflicts. DRC has been present in the Middle East & North Africa (MENA) region since 2002 and is implementing projects with National Society partners in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Yemen, oPt, and Libya (remotely) with an annual budget of around DKK 170 million. In those countries, DRC supports the Host National Societies (HNS) in the fields of emergency response, resilience building, health, mental health and psychosocial support, youth action, migration and national society development.
The MENA context is challenging but equally rewarding for someone who wants to set and reach tangible results. As Deputy Head of Region MENA (DHoR), you will play a pivotal role in supporting our humanitarian projects and initiatives across the Middle East and North Africa. The DHoR will perform a key regional role in supporting the scale-up, efficiency, impact, and localisation of the DRC interventions in MENA. To do so, the DHoR will be responsible for overseeing the management of regional support functions as well as our programmatic technical teams, ensuring seamless coordination and quality implementation of humanitarian initiatives. The leadership of DHoR will be instrumental in fostering collaboration, driving innovation, and optimizing resources to address the diverse needs of communities across the MENA region effectively.
Additionally, you will work closely with the Head of Region (HoR) to support with the Regional Office management, strategic engagement, business development and resource mobilisation, as well as representation towards Host National Societies, Movement and non-Movement partners, donors and other key stakeholders in the region.
The Deputy Head of Region will have the following main responsibilities:
- Provide line management and leadership to our regional/global programmatic technical expert team as well as our regional support functions staff. This include including setting performance objectives, conducting regular performance evaluations, and supervision to enhance professional growth and productivity.
- Ensure compliance with DRC policies, procedures, and guidelines with support of HQ advisers
- Collaborate closely with the Head of Region MENA to develop and implement regional strategic plans and objectives, ensuring alignment with the DRC’s International Strategy.
- Identify and mitigate risks related to program implementation, safety, security, and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, ensuring the safety and well-being of staff, volunteers, and beneficiaries
- Work closely with Regional Finance to oversee regional budget management, including budget planning, expenditure monitoring, and financial reporting, to ensure financial accountability and compliance with donor requirements.
- Support the HoR in building and strengthening partnerships and networking with RCRC Movement Partners and other stakeholders, including the UN, INGOs, and regional organisations, to enhance the effectiveness and sustainability of humanitarian interventions in the region.
- In coordination with HoR, develop and oversee implementation of a business development and resource mobilization plan, in close consultation with Country Managers, Business Development and Innovation advisors.
- Ensure smooth day-to-day operations of the Regional Office, including administrative, logistics, procurement and human resources functions
- Foster a collaborative and cohesive team environment among regional staff, promoting effective communication, teamwork, and knowledge sharing to achieve common goals and objectives.
- Upon request, undertake scoping and / or representation visits to countries in the region.
- Upon request, engage with National Society partners, Movement Partners, and Embassies in countries, where DRC does not have country offices.
- Support the HoR in maintaining overview of the MENA grant and project portfolio.
The Deputy HoR will be the designated regional focal point for safety and security, including risk monitoring, contingency planning, maintaining updated security rules and guidelines and ensuring all pertinent information is disseminated as needed.
The Deputy HoR will report to the DRC HoR for MENA and will work in close cooperation with Country Managers in MENA; the Business Development along with Innovation Advisors at HQ, the Portfolio advisor along with Global / Regional Advisors in MENA.
Experience and qualifications
- Relevant academic background, e.g. Master’s Degree in social or economic sciences, development studies, or other relevant field
- Minimum of 8 years relevant work experience from humanitarian organisations in humanitarian and fragile or protracted crisis contexts
- Demonstrated experience in people management
- Previous experience of security management in high-risk and conflict areas as well as security incident management is a requirement
- Strategic mindset with a clear focus on business, idea and concept development within the humanitarian sector
- Proven experience on resource mobilisation with major donors/funds preferably including EU/ECHO and DANIDA
- Strong knowledge on programme development and implementation through partner organisations
- Proven experience with project cycle and financial management of humanitarian projects
- Experience with leading or being part of consortia of partners jointly implementing programmes
- Working experience in MENA Region is preferred
- In-depth knowledge of the culture and political situation and humanitarian needs in MENA
- Preferably Red Cross Red Crescent working experience
- Ability to work in demanding situations under pressure
- Excellent communication, coordination, networking and facilitation skills
- Results oriented, patience and cultural sensitivity skills
- Fluency in English and or Arabic will be considered an asset.
- Possession of a valid driving licence
This is a 24-months position, with possibility for extension for up to 5 years based on availability of funds, and with a 3 months probationary period. The duty station is Beirut in Lebanon with frequent field travels. This position is a family duty station position. Starting date as soon as possible.
The contract will be administered in accordance with the Danish Red Cross Terms and Conditions for Delegates. Attractive salary package, depending on qualifications and experience.
How to apply
For any specific questions regarding the position, please write to the DRC Head of MENA Region, Karin Sørensen: email@example.com
Your application and CV should be uploaded at DRC web page Red Cross – Deputy Head of Region – MENA (easycruit.com) Applications made by email will not be accepted. The deadline for applications is the 28th February, 12 pm. Interviews and tests are expected to take place immediately thereafter.