Heifer International does so much more than put food in the mouths of hungry people. Heifer helps people feed themselves. The goal of every Heifer project is sustainability – project partners achieving self-reliance.
And year after year, as partner families Pass on the Gift of knowledge and one or more of their animals’ offspring to others in need, they become links in a network of hope, dignity and self-reliance that helps hundreds of others care for themselves.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party – Nigeria Livestock Development
Job ID: 628
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Category: Program / Project Management
- We are seeking qualified applicants for the following positions for an anticipated USAID-funded 5-year Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity in Nigeria.
- The Activity will potentially explore practical, cost effective, and multi-stakeholder adaptation solutions to improve livelihoods of poor and vulnerable communities in target states through:
- Improved agricultural productivity, livelihood and agroecosystem resilience through climate-smart practices;
- Improved ecological and environmental services and functions, including enhanced climate-resilient water and other resource management and supply systems in vulnerable agropastoral communities;
- Strengthened institutional capacity to reduce risks associated with climate-induced socio-economic losses and livelihood failures in the target states; and
- Improved and productive livestock systems to improve food security and nutrition by (potentially) improving consumption of animal source / protein foods, providing income generation opportunities, and fostering mutual relationships among targeted households and communities.
- These positions are contingent upon funding and donor approval.
- The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will closely collaborate with COP to ensure successful management and representation of the activity.
- H/She will be responsible for the technical delivery, operational and administrative oversight of the project and will ensure contractual and legal compliance during implementation of activities.
Responsibilities / Deliverables
- Support the COP in providing technical leadership and direction and defining and implementing activities to achieve the greatest impact toward project goals and objectives.
- Provide support to programmatic teams, including identifying and promoting clear communications on budget management and programmatic activities, compliance, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and communication.
- In coordination with the COP, oversee budgets to ensure all expenditures follow Heifer and donor policies and regulations as well as within the scope of the program budget.
- Contribute to the development of strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, reports, and other deliverables in line with USAID guidelines to achieve objectives.
- Support efforts to collaborate, learn and adapt with internal and external collaborators, adapting program as needed to optimize results per learning and contextual changes.
- Ensure that the activities and results are implemented in a timely manner within the approved budget.
- Ensure quality activity implementation and employ use of project M&E tools and ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Support project staff by creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes teamwork, trust, mutual respect, learning, and adaptation and empowers staff to take responsibility.
- Assist COP in maintaining active, cooperative, and collaborative relationships with all key stakeholders, including government officials, project partners, other implementing agencies, and related institutions.
- Serve as Acting COP in absence of COP and represent Heifer with partners and key stakeholders.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Agriculture, Economics, or Business Administration.
- Demonstrated expertise and a minimum of five (5) years in international development work managing all integrated aspects of complex programs of similar scale, with a particular emphasis on livestock-related programming
- Past DCOP experience in managing large to medium (preferably $10 million and above) in livelihood, agricultural development activities with knowledge of resilience and market system programming in the Nigerian context preferred.
- At least three (3) years of field-based work in a conflict-prone and/or active insurgency environment.
- Strong technical experience in market system approach to development.
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across activities utilizing strong communication and interpersonal skills, with evidence of the ability to productively interact with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, private sector, donor counterparts, implementing partners, other activities, NGOs).
- Prior experience working in Nigeria is required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.