Post of duty: Washington, DC United States
The IDB Group is a diverse, versatile and passionate community of people, united to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Those who work with us find a purpose and do what they like best in an inclusive, collaborative, agile and rewarding environment.
About this job
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated person to join the group of professionals who provide technical support in promoting the Bank’s strategic environmental and social priorities and ensuring that funded projects are socially and environmentally sustainable.
He will be responsible for supporting and contributing to the management of the Bank’s internal complaint protocol, coordinating the actions with the support of the members of the team of the Unit for Environmental and Social Solutions (VPS / ESG) and of the different sectors of the projects.
VPS/ESG is responsible for ensuring that Bank-financed projects are environmentally and socially sustainable and comply with either the Environmental and Social Policy Framework (MPAS) or the previous Policies of Environmental and Social Safeguards as appropriate. VPS / ESG specialists provide the Bank and its borrowers with advice on aspects of environmental and social policies, and participate in project teams by providing technical inputs during due diligence in preparation and supervision.
The Bank’s Board of Directors approved the new MPAS on September 16, 2020, which entered into force on October 31, 2021. The MPAS contemplates 3 channels to present complaints related to socio-environmental aspects of the projects financed by the Bank:
- a project-level complaint mechanism implemented by the borrower;
- local complaint mechanisms;
- and the Bank’s administration mechanism.
For this reason, the Bank has developed its own internal protocol to provide a direct channel to interested parties when they want to file a complaint about the environmental and social performance of their projects.
This is what you will do
The selected candidate will be under the supervision of the group leader responsible for the implementation of the complaint protocol. Its main activities are as follows (this is an indicative list):
- Apply the principles and implement the provisions on procedure, monitoring, registration and reporting, training and dissemination established in the Bank’s Complaints Protocol.
- Manage the claim registration system on the Bank platform
- Review project documents and collaborate in the analysis of other related documents relevant to complaint management.
- Coordinate with ESG project teams and specialists as appropriate, the development of dialogue processes in accordance with the Bank’s Complaints Protocol.
- Provide support at different stages of the process in accordance with the provisions of the Complaints Protocol.
- Develop strategies to maintain regular communication with stakeholders, in particular claimants, members of ESG and the project team from the different sectors of the Bank and the executing agencies during the management of the complaint.
- Maintain communication particularly between Bank sectors and country offices to support complaint management.
- Provide facilitation services during missions, dialogue sessions between claimants and Bank personnel, conversations with experts and any other area related to the Complaints Protocol.
- Facilitate meetings with claimants and prepare respective minutes, as necessary.
- Lead or contribute, as appropriate, monitoring activities to promote compliance with the agreements obtained.
- Contribute to the identification of the lessons learned from case management and include them in the required reports, according to the Complaints Protocol.
- Provide training on the Complaints Protocol to external and internal Bank actors. Provide both initial and continuous training.
- Prepare periodic reports, guides and other related technical documents, as required, by the Complaints Protocol or by the Bank’s administration.
- Ensure data security so that all bank procedures regarding confidential information are followed.
- Be responsible for the documentary management of complaints, complying with Bank standards.
- Comply with the follow-ups of the established deadlines to guarantee a timely response or resolution.
- Generate periodic reports that summarize the performance of the complaint protocol including resolution time statistics, more common types of complaints and measures taken to prevent future claims.
- Ensure consistent use of the Bank’s system, specifically the case management system and documentary repository.
- Create and keep updated the list of experts who will support, as necessary, the dialogue process for the resolution of complaints.
- Provide specific advice to facilitators of the list of experts prior to the start of their participation in the process.
- Carry out other activities assigned by the Head of the Unit for the implementation of the Complaints Protocol.
This is what you need
- Education: Master of Social Sciences with specialization and / or proven experience in conflict management or resolution.
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience in the design, advice or facilitation of alternative mechanisms for conflict resolution on environmental and social aspects.
- Languages: Mastery of Spanish and English, oral and written is required. It is preferred to have additional knowledge of French and Portuguese.
- Conflict resolution
- Complaints management
- Knowledge of information management systems. SAP is a plus.
- Data analysis. Advanced Excel User
- Solving technical problems
- Continuous learning
- Collaborate and share knowledge
- Focus on customers
- Communicate and influence
- Innovate and try new things
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48 member countries.
- Consanguinity: He has no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including the spouse) who work at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
- Place of employment: Washington DC United States (IDB headquarters)
- Type of Contract: Full-time international consultant
- Duration: 12 months
What we offer
The IDB Group offers benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A package of competitive remuneration
- Licenses and holidays: 2 days per month of contract + parental leave without distinction of gender.
- Health insurance: The IDB Group provides a monthly allowance for the purchase of health insurance.
- Savings plan: The IDB Group cares about your future and, depending on the duration of the contract, you will receive an allowance for a monthly savings plan.
- We offer assistance with the transfer and visa applications for you and your family, where appropriate.
- Work schedules flexible e hybrids.
- Development support: We offer learning opportunities to improve your professional profile, such as seminars, individualized professional advice, and much more.
- Health and wellness: Access to our Health Services Center that offers employees preventive care and health education.
- Other benefits: Lactation room, nursery, gym, bike rack, parking, and others.
At the IDB Group, we work for all people who do their best and bring their true selves to work, are willing to try new approaches without fear, be held accountable for your actions and receive compensation for them.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and the Sense of Belonging (DEIB) are the pillars of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ +, people with disabilities, people of African descent and indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that people with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, email us at email@example.com in order to request reasonable adaptations to complete this request.
Our Human Resources Team thoroughly reviews each request.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, made up of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest and IDB Lab, offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through loans and subsidies to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
About the IDB
The Inter-American Development Bank’s mission is to improve lives. Founded in 1959, the IDB is one of the main sources of long-term financing for the economic, social, and institutional development of Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB also conducts cutting-edge research projects and offers policy advice, technical assistance, and training to public and private clients throughout the region.
- External Opening Date: Oct 19, 2023
- External Closing Date: Oct 30, 2023
- Job Field: Technical Support