Vacancy Notice Number: CON#2022/003
Position Title: Consultant (Information and Data Management)
Classification: Consultancy Contract
Duty Station: Home based (with possibility of travel)
Number of People to be hired: 1
Eligibility: Internal & External Candidates
The EU-funded project “Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration of Irregular Migrants in Turkey” aims to contribute to the objectives outlined under Actions 8 (Home Affairs) of the Financing Agreement for Annual Action Programme for Türkiye for the Year 2014, which seek to improve the administrative infrastructures in the field of migration management in line with the Law on Foreigners and International Protection and the requirements of the EU-Türkiye Readmission Agreement.
As part of its efforts to upgrade its migration management system, particularly as a major transit country, it is crucial that Türkiye continues to develop an effective, sustainable and rights-based assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR) mechanism in the framework of its current return policy pillar. This will complement initiatives to strengthen Turkey’s migration management system and respond effectively to the challenges associated with being a major country of transit and destination for migrants from the Middle East, Asia and Africa. Secondly, an effective return policy and AVRR program in Türkiye will promote enhanced cooperation with the EU by promoting coherence between the policy frameworks (including return policy) of EU member states and Türkiye and providing the AVRR option on a more consistent and widespread basis to migrants stranded in Turkey, including those potentially enroute to Europe.
To contribute to these objectives, the project activities include: provision of information and counselling activities for the main target group, both in and outside of removal centres; conducting AVRR activities with specific support throughout the entire return process (e.g. assistance for obtaining the travel document, interpretation services, accommodation and transport when needed); reintegration support in countries of origin to ensure the sustainability of return measures; organizing capacity-building workshops and study visits on AVRR and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for a referral mechanism and an awareness raising and visibility campaign for migrants in relation to AVRR.
The overall objective is to support the improvement of the administrative infrastructure in Türkiye in the field of migration management.
The specific objective is to support the Directorate General of Migration Management (DGMM) on the return aspect of migration within the framework of Law on Foreigners and Internal Protection and the EU-Türkiye Readmission Agreement. In order to achieve these objectives, the following results were envisioned and related activities planned:
IOM Project to which the Consultancy is contributing:
Migrant Protection and Assistance Division, project RR.0014 “Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration of Irregular Migrants in Turkey”
Nature of Consultancy
Provision of data management/information management expertise to the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration Programme run by IOM in cooperation with the Presidency of Migration Management. The consultancy is to be delivered in coordination with a national consultant hired by the same project, and the project team. The consultant will contribute to the creation of a data strategy for the AVRR programme.
As the lead on the assessment, the international consultant will focus on the following elements, as part of the comprehensive AVRR data strategy:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analysis of the existing internal practices for data collection, processing and storage under the project, with reference to migrants provided with AVRR assistance. The analysis will focus on data collection methodologies and tools already existing, such as MiMOSA, IOM AVRR ME& Toolkit, IOM Turkey internal monitoring and data collection tools (such as inter alia logs recording migrants referred, counselled, assisted);
- Recommendations and suggestions for the optimization of use of different internal apps and tools (such as MiMOSA, case management app, internal spreadsheets, emails, IOM AVRR M&E Toolkit, etc.) for the monitoring of beneficiaries throughout the return and reintegration process;
- Recommendations with regards to data collection, monitoring, storage and sharing in order to improve data accuracy, improve data protection compliance, as well as optimize the use of data collected by the project, for which current practices are insufficient.
- Contribute to the creation of a MEAL plan for the AVRR programme, together with the IOM MEAL unit and based on the experience of other IOM country offices; Formulate recommendations and suggestions for the improvement of programme monitoring practices and tools, with focus on activities and results, including through the use of IOM AVRR M&E Toolkit
Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment:
- First deliverable – Preliminary Meeting with AVRR stakeholders and partners. Mapping of data management needs (focus on case management, programme monitoring procedures)- First instalment payment- Deliverable by email by 31 August 2022
- Second deliverable – First draft of the AVRR data management strategy including set of recommendations and their prioritization, proposed technical solutions and procedures to improve data management (focus on case management and programme monitoring procedures) – Deliverable by email by 20 September 2022
- Third deliverable – facilitation of a 3- day training for PMM and IOM staff. The training will aim to consolidate data management and monitoring capacities of project stakeholders, in line with the findings and recommendations of the consultants – Second instalment payment – Deliverable by email by 15 October 2022
- Final deliverable – Final draft of the AVRR data management strategy including set of recommendations and prioritization (focus on case management and programme monitoring procedures) – Third and Final instalment payment (no less than 25% of overall contract value) – Deliverable by email by 10 November 2022.
Performance indicators for the Evaluation of Results:
- Timeliness: deliverables are completed within the defined deadlines
- Achievement of goals: all deliverables are completed in line with the assignment, including towards the coordination of the work of the national consultant to be hired by the project to contribute to the AVRR data strategy.
- Quality: deliverables and activities are conducted to an acceptable level of quality, including: completeness of the information provided, clear and concise language, coherence and comprehensiveness of deliverables, files are provided in editable formats.
- Consultancy is home- based. At least one travel is required for the co-facilitation of the data training in Ankara. Field visits to interview stakeholders and project team as needed.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant (international) job experience with graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) in relevant field (computer science, data/information management, advanced statistical analysis, information technology),
- 9 years of relevant (international) job experience with undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in relevant field (computer science, data/information management, advanced statistical analysis, information technology),
- Skills in document design, databases maintenance and visual presentations
- Experience in training cycle and knowledge transfer to specialized and non-specialized audience
- Previous knowledge of IOM data and information management tools and standards is an asset
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.