The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster.
Requisition ID: req33308
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Compensation: NGN 0.00 – 0.00 Salary
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression, and violent conflict in over 40 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation, and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States. The IRC’s response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education, General Protection, and community-based disaster preparedness. The country program will develop a new strategic plan in the first half of 2021. IRC’s programming in Northeast Nigeria is supported by a team of more than 700 staff. Together, we aim to provide the best possible impact for some of the most vulnerable children, women, and men. In all that we do, IRC strives to deliver through IRC’s core values of Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality. This new role is at the heart of that challenge.
Job Overview/Summary:The Compliance Manager will support the Compliance Coordinator to oversee ethics and compliance related functions across the country program. The core purpose of the role is:
o build a safe and compliant working environment within IRC, through proactive prevention initiatives to reduce wrongdoing and timely, coordinated action where behavior is suspected to be inconsistent with IRC values and policies.
Prevention: Create a safe and compliant environment
- Provide oversight to all country field office locations to ensure compliance with internal IRC policies and procedures, applicable Nigerian laws and donor regulations.
- Conduct regular spot-checks and compliance assessments; document findings and propose solutions and mitigating measures
- Support in the investigation of allegations of suspected fraud and misconduct
- Contribute to supporting partner compliance including the due diligence and onboarding process, reviewing and analyzing agreements and supporting documentation, conducting trainings and ad hoc compliance support as needed
- Support donor and internal audits and provide technical support on the timely implementation of audit findings and action plans in conjunction with key country program staff
- Participate in grant start up and close out meetings
- Instill a strong culture of ethics and compliance by providing on-going training, capacity building and advice to staff and partners as needed
- Support records management and archiving processes to assist with the proper filing of documentation
- Support on special projects and other tasks as assigned by your line manager
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Compliance Coordinator
Position directly supervises: none
Internal: All sectors and departments
Education: Bachelor’s degree in audit, finance or other relevant subject area
Work Experience: Minimum 4-7 years’ experience working in finance/audit/compliance or other relevant function. Experience in the NGO/humanitarian sector is highly desirable
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Previous investigations experience including strong interviewing and report writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop positive relationships with team members
- Ability to handle sensitive situations diplomatically and in a confidential manner
- Commitment to upholding and modeling IRC’s core values (the IRC Way), demonstrating high standards of ethics and integrity
- Self-motivated, highly responsible, flexible, and culturally sensitive. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to travel to other IRC field sites and field project sites to promote ethics and compliance awareness
- Previous experience in conducting capacity building and training sessions
- Knowledge of institutional donors regulations would be an asset
- Knowledge of Hausa is desirable
- Computer skills are required – MS Office package and Internet
The situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. While this position will be based in Maiduguri, this position covers all IRC field offices and expected travel to field sites is 30-40%. This is a national position.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee (IRC) on rescue.csod.com to apply