With a population of over 150 million people, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa. Political unrest, poor governance and corruption have led to decades of water shortages, while the population has increased rapidly.
- Location Abuja
- WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene.
- Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
- WaterAid’s global network of communications staff are responsible for communicating WaterAid’s work and ethos to a wide range of stakeholders through its media, digital, multimedia and print-based channels. It also represents WaterAid’s international brand.
- The communications function plays an essential role in ensuring that WaterAid operates as one global organisation by delivering a joined-up programme of high quality messaging across all our programmes, helping to raise the profile of WaterAid’s work around the world.
Purpose of Role
- The purpose of this role is to provider a short-term cover for the Communications Officer. This position will have a critical responsibility for supporting the delivery of strategic and high-quality communications programming. It will promote and strengthen WaterAid Nigeria’s profile through the media and other opportunities.
- The role will improve overall country programme communication quality by shaping copy into concise, engaging and highly effective material for a range of audiences. The role will be an authority on our brand and communications in general.
- The role is being created to support and deliver on WaterAid’s projects and the Country Programme Strategy Development Process. Materials produced will be used in five key areas across the organisation: fundraising, communications, campaigns, influencing and international programmes.
- The position will report into and be supervised by the Head of Advocacy, Policy and Communications.
- Engage with regular and social media to actively promote WaterAid’s image and visibility.
- Source articles and coordinate the edit and layout of Country progamme’s regular newsletter publication, collating and reviewing content from staff and partners and from all our work for sharing with wider audiences.
- Provide Strategic Communications support to the Country Programme and Communications Strategy development for the new Country Programme Strategy.
- Collect and share regular, timely and interesting stories about WaterAid’s fieldwork, as briefed by the Head of Advocacy, Policy and Communications with line reporting to the WaterAid Nigeria, illustrating in film, photography, audio and written text how people’s lives are changing through the provision of safe water, sanitation and hygiene education and the problems they face without these services.
- Collect photographs and footage for short films and audio pieces giving detailed personal accounts and stories from community members, project staff and other key spokespeople that can be used to communicate WaterAid’s work in an engaging way to a number of different audiences including supporters, decision-makers, donors etc.
- Work closely with state WASH Media Network to raise the profile of WASH in the state and nationally. Build and maintain a strong relationship with the network, nurturing and strengthening their capacity to be proactive in investigating and reporting WASH issues as well as campaigning and influencing through their reporting and other activities.
- Maintain and update accounts across all major social media platforms day to day (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest), to enhance brand awareness and develop deeper engagement with existing and potential supporters.
- Liaise with country programme staff to create a database of key project information and milestones in WaterAid’s programme work for use in selecting and planning project visits and keeping the Abuja Communications team up to date.
- Support media, film, photo and supporter trips from WaterAid global and as required.
- Work with individuals and departments through the organisation to design and deliver internal communication campaigns to engage staff in external initiatives and key organisational moments by coming up with creative concepts and developing strategies, identifying relevant tools and channels, executing the campaigns and promoting it.
- Help to coordinate communications activity and content across the country programme, developing Terms of References for engagement of outsourced communications consultants and managing them to deliver quality work in line with consultancy requirements.
- Act as in –house brand specialist ensuring all WaterAid branding requirements are complied with by all staff.
- Work with colleagues throughout the organisation to plan, write, and support media work around WaterAid Nigeria’s service delivery and advocacy work, campaigns, fundraising initiatives and key organizational moments.
- Demonstrated ability on Strategic Development Communications Strategy Development
- Excellent, accurate written and verbal communication skills in English
- Excellent communication, organisation, project and time management skills
- Excellent IT skills including practical use of editing packages such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe
- Photoshop or similar (training can be provided but some knowledge is essential)
- Sound administrative skills including wordprocessing, writing updates and information management
- A good understanding of current digital tools and channels.
- Experience working in a communications role
- Knowledge of international development or the charitable sector
- Good understanding of Voice from the Field (VftF)
- Experience in conduct of Media Mapping and Audience profiling
- A communication or media related degree
- Previous experience of working for an NGO
- Experience of working in a communications and/or media role for an international organization
- Experience of helping to influence decision makers through media work.
- Experience of managing content on an intranet.
Method of Application
- Only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
- We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind.
- The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
Interested and qualified? Go to WaterAid on docs.google.com to apply