RTI International is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief of Party
Location: Eastern Nigeria
- The division is currently looking for a Chief of Party (COP) to provide senior technical and managerial leadership and oversight on all aspects of RTI’s NTD activities in Nigeria current primary focus is USAID’s Act to End Neglected Tropical Diseases | East program (2018-2023) (Act | East) and involves extensive technical support to Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and State Ministries of Health. As RTI is constantly advocating for and securing greater NTD support, the COP will also play a lead role in securing new business and managing any new projects acquired.
- The COP is primarily responsible for providing high-level support to the Government of Nigeria regarding the implementation of NTD activities in coordination with the Nigerian FMOH and various State Ministries of Health. The COP will be responsible for all oversight of RTI’s NTD programs in Nigeria, including annual work planning and budgeting; biannual donor reporting; monthly reporting; ongoing monitoring and evaluation of activities; drug and diagnostics quantification; and management of a dedicated program staff.
- The COP will lead technical and operations staff to ensure the highest quality NTD programming. The COP will also ensure effective project management including the submission of high-quality program deliverables and contractual obligations on a timely basis.
- The COP will coordinate work with RTI’s consortium partners for sustainable financing of NTD programming and gender, equity, and social inclusion (GESI). The COP will coordinate closely with the RTI Headquarters and Regional Office teams to ensure compliance.
- The COP will also coordinate with other NTD partners in country, particularly consortium partner The Carter Center who lead Act | East activities in eight states.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the Act | East RTI Nigeria team, including technical and operational staff. Ensure the team produces high quality work and deliverables in line with project objectives. Support and lead the team to work effectively while working remotely, if applicable. Encourage the continued professional development of team members;
- Manage all RTI activities in support of the Nigerian government’s NTD elimination and control agenda, ensuring strong relationships and partnerships;
- Work with the FMOH, state and district authorities, development partners, Act | East consortium partners, and other major stakeholders to develop annual work plans and budgets for Act | East;
- Provide support to the FMOH and state and local government area authorities for timely implementation and smooth operation of RTI NTD activities, ensuring that all activities are implemented in accordance with work plans and budgets;
- Work in partnership with the FMOH, development and implementing partners, Act | East consortium partners, and RTI’s NTD HQ team in monitoring implementation of activities, tracking progress toward targets and deliverables, identifying issues that need to be addressed, and ensuring that technical and financial reporting requirements are met;
- Provide regular updates to the RTI HQ NTD team on all program activities;
- Serve as a key liaison between RTI headquarters, the Nigeria FMOH, USAID/Nigeria, Act | East consortium partners (particularly The Carter Center), project partners, and other national and international donors, including pharmaceutical donation programs, and organizations involved in NTD control and elimination activities in Nigeria;
- Lead the preparation of high-quality project deliverables and other products for submission to donors;
- Ensure activities are implemented safely with due regard for COVID-19 infection-mitigation efforts and other safety and security concerns. Ensure that infection-control measures are in place in the RTI office and observed appropriately;
- Ensure the documentation of project accomplishments and innovation in blogs, peer-reviewed journals, and other media;
- Develop and manage mechanisms for coordination and collaboration with other partners and grantees. This includes identifying opportunities for the use of Fixed Amount Awards
- Support FMOH in the coordination of stakeholders to avoid overlap and to maximize the use of limited resources;
- Empower the FMOH to conduct strong supervision and monitoring for all field activities, including during mass drug administration, and while conducting disease-specific assessments;
- Identify and promote strategies for enhancing the sustainability of NTD programming
- Work with RTI operations team at HQ and in-country to monitor project activities and spending to ensure proper activity planning and meet USAID financial and management reporting guidelines;
- Facilitate a culture of learning and using data for planning and adapting program strategy and activities;
- Support high-profile visits to Nigeria from NTD stakeholders, ensuring good representation of RTI’s NTD work;
- Liaise with donors to ensure communication on NTD activities and explore potential synergies with other projects in the country;
- Represent the RTI office to the Nigerian Government which includes completing all criteria required by the government for a registered NGO in the country. It may also include meeting RTI International’s obligations outside of specific projects (leading new business development efforts, coordinating legal matters with HQ, acting as bank signatory, etc.)
- Perform international (up to 10%) and domestic travel (up to 30%); and perform other work as needed by program management.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or other relevant discipline
- At least 12 years’ progressive experience implementing and leading technical and program activities for donor-funded health programs (at national and regional levels), ideally with an NTD/infectious disease focus, but experience with initiatives based on health systems strengthening, and/or sustainability are also highly desirable.
- Demonstrated high-level managerial skills, particularly in multiple, small to mid-size (>$10+ million) donor-funded projects is preferred.
- Experience managing USAID-funded projects. Knowledge and experience with other international development organizations’ contracting policies and procedures is preferred.
- Highly developed expertise in managing and motivating diverse teams, including ensuring continued professional development
- Experience in all aspects of program management: conceiving, planning, organizing, implementing, monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Demonstrated experience in new business development (scoping, consortium building, proposal writing, budgeting, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience with the MERLA approach including analyzing quantitative and qualitative data for improved programmatic performance along with knowledge of reporting procedures, best practices, guidelines
- Knowledge of supply chain management, commodity procurement, logistics and distribution issues
- Knowledge of health systems strengthening and sustainability concepts and experience of managing HSS activities and/or projects.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully coordinate with officials from the MOH at all levels, U.S. Government, donor organizations, NGOs, and other agencies.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting.
- Strong English oral and written communication and presentation skills. This should include the ability to write/edit reports to a high standard, acceptable for submission to donors. Additional fluency in languages of targeted areas for implementation will be an asset and preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Willingness to travel within Nigeria frequently and ability to travel internationally.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online